Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Which Flash Cart Should I Get?

It's often hard to tell which flash carts have which features.
How do you know if a feature really is unique, or if all carts have it?
Which carts still get updates to play my new ROM/game dumps?
Which are the barebones carts, and which are the feature-rich ones?​

A public poll was held and only the top-ranking carts are included here.

If you don't understand a term or concept, check out the DS/DSi/3DS "hacking" F.A.Q.
If your focus is GBA games, check out this guide instead.
Battery life may also be a concern. This thread has more information.

2ms4olv.png

Of note is that the DSTwo is the ONLY flash cart that has NEVER needed a new hardware revision/model in order to work after a DSi/3DS update. This means that with other flash carts you may need to buy a new one after an update, but so far that has never happened with the DSTwo. Because of this, the DSTwo is considered the safest flash cart purchase.

Seeing as there's many clones and similar-named carts out there,
here's links to the official websites so you can visually match it.

Chart Explanation/Key
explanation_chart.png

"The cart I want isn't listed here!"
"There's not much here, it must be outdated."
"I'm not seeing (Cart X) and it was good, so you must be wrong."
"This cart gave me two updates so it's a good one!"
etc.

• The chart used to be bigger with entries like the Ak2i, M3i Zero, DSonei, EZ-Flash Vi, iEvolution, etc... but those carts stopped getting updates/support, so they were dropped off the list. Updates not only mean the ability to play new games, but also the ability to work at all on a DSi/3DS (which have anti-flashcart updates themselves). The list is so small nowadays because the DS is dead, so most of the good teams have simply discontinued their products.

As far as all the fakes and clones... these are Chinese aftermarket goods, so there's a lot more bad-quality products out there than good ones. Especially when it comes to any cart with "R4" in the name, 99% of those are fakes or knockoffs because the original R4 team only made "R4". Any "R4i", "R4 SDHC", or anything else like that was not made by them (and a large majority of them are badly-supported carts). These carts will often give two or three updates, then drop off the face of the planet.

While there are some flash carts that actually try their best to give support and updates (you'll notice an R4-named cart IS in the list), the majority out there will drop support quickly in order to get you to buy a second cart, then a third, then a fourth...

http://gbatemp.net/threads/update-o...d-v2-0-using-akaio-updated-to-3ds-4-3.342339/
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/identifying-flashcart-fixing-one-for-my-nephew.341230/
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/r4itt-purple-new-sticker-problem-about-adding-games.343271/
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/r4i-sdhc-help.342623/
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/r4itt.342556/
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/software-for-green-r4i-card.316171/

Check out those threads, people bought carts from teams that didn't give support, and so were left with carts that wouldn't play new games, or even work at all on their DSi/3DS. This is why it's so important to pick a product from a site/team that actually attempts to give more than one or two updates, and unfortunately that list has shrunk as teams simply stopped and left.

Changelog
8/21/2013 - Updated the explanation chart to account for 3DS ROMs being playable. Actual cart chart update pending correct info.
4/23/2013 - Added r4idsn.com split site, fixed a bbcode typo that was cutting a bunch of stuff off.
4/22/2013 - Removed "Slow Motion" since it's part of the real-time menu function. Added a section on bootloader updates without new hardware, as that's become a real strong point of the DSTwo, and a real weak point of all the other flash carts. Also edited a little wording on the explanation chart while updating it as well.
4/20/2013 - Huge update, condensed some info, rearranged some, added a large note on why people shouldn't buy clones.
3/30/2013 - Changed example/review category link to the flash cart demonstration thread.
2/14/2013 - AK2i's dead, replaced it with the 2.1 for people that want SDHC support and such on a DS/Lite.
12/15/2012 - Changed the AK2i to "Partial" in the DSi column since 1.4.5 came out a few days ago and still no sign of the team. Also change the R4i Gold model's real-time column to "yes", since Wood's RTS feature is coming out. Re-arranged things too, to flow easier.
11/3/2012 - Updated the AK2i as "Partial", since it's been months slow in updating for ages.
7/20/2012 - Fixed the images.
6/08/2012 - Added links to the official sites for clarification.
4/29/2011 - Fixed the merged cells for the 2.1 and 2i, whoops.
4/9/2012 - Added link to the GBA game guide.
3/22/2012 - Updated chart with the results of a new poll. Also modified some of the wording in the explanation to expand upon the carts listed.
5/19/2011 - Fixed R4iDSN bootloader update column, whoops.
5/7/2011 - Added a note on why this doesn't list all carts.
4/25/2011 - Fixed erroneously listing the Cyclo carts as having Auto AP Bypass.
4/25/2011 - Fixed a typo, properly hosted pictures on gbatemp.
4/24/2011 - Initial version.

Miss Panda

Trophies
XP
Country
Oh I am loving the updated chart, nice.
smile.gif
Although the prices are bloody depressing 35 dollars for a DSTWO! It is double that in Europe. You lucky kids.

Icegoten

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow you made this topic just in time because I was searching for such a thing yesterday and couldn't find any and today I checked again and found this.

Was wondering if the Supercard DSTwo was the best flashcard to get for the 3DS at the moment and sure enough it seems to be but now looking at the features and comparing it to the prices I really don't need all of that. I can get the R4i Gold for pretty much $25 less and I'm really only going to be playing DS games on it.

dayjay

Trophies
XP
Country
I was thinking of getting a super DStwo because it can play snes and gba games (already got an IEDGE). What's its user friendliness like?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Icegoten said:
Was wondering if the Supercard DSTwo was the best flashcard to get for the 3DS at the moment and sure enough it seems to be but now looking at the features and comparing it to the prices I really don't need all of that. I can get the R4i Gold for pretty much $25 less and I'm really only going to be playing DS games on it.Yeah the R4i Gold seems to be a popular choice for people who only intend to play DS games.

QUOTE(rayjay @ Apr 25 2011, 03:39 PM) I was thinking of getting a super DStwo because it can play snes and gba games (already got an IEDGE). What's its user friendliness like?
It's a little annoying trying to do a first-time setup because it uses multiple folders for various things, but reading a guide will get you through it. The menus are very easy to use.

dayjay

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the info. Quick question, if I do get a DStwo, will I be able to use the micro sdcard I use for my IEDGE and keep all my games/saves?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Jiro2 said:
Umm, does the CycloDS really have auto-AP?Is that false? Nobody else pointed it out before I made this thread, so I assumed it was true.

l3lackitty said:
Wait. . DSTWO Can't play DSi specific games!?
Or in a DSi specific mode? /facepalm

What exactly does that mean? Thanks!
Rydian said:
If you don't understand a term or concept, check out the DS/DSi/3DS "hacking" F.A.Q.
Hacking FAQ
Q - Will DSi games run?
A - DSi games will only run on a DSi-mode flash cart. Just because a flash cart works on the DSi/XL does not mean it runs in DSi mode. Most carts run in DS mode, as DSi mode is a very recent thing to unlock. DSi-enhanced games (that will run on a normal DS without the DSi features) will run in DS mode on a normal flash cart.
If a cart doesn't have DSi mode, then it will only run a game as if it was running in a DS9 even if it's running in a 3/DS/i).

It's mostly shit nobody cares about, though.

DeathStrudel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The CycloDS doesn't have Auto AP bypass.

Also, if it's not too much trouble, in the game updates section it might be more helpful to put about how often they update or about how soon after new games are released they update, since only putting yes doesn't tell you much besides that they do update at some point.

l3lackitty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
http://gbatemp.net/t278137-ds-dsi-3ds-hack...-a-q?&st=15
Q - Will DSi games run?
A - DSi games will only run on a DSi-mode flash cart. Just because a flash cart works on the DSi/XL does not mean it runs in DSi mode. Most carts run in DS mode, as DSi mode is a very recent thing to unlock. DSi-enhanced games (that will run on a normal DS without the DSi features) will run in DS mode on a normal flash cart.

Is all I found on there. . But I'll just try harder n look around, thanks
tongue.gif

Edit: Shows how pushed for time I am. . didnt even read your whole post. . Im just adding to how great this week is starting out. .

Meaning a loss in quality, framerate, and/or smoothness?

Apparently it means something if its one of the contributing factors in your chart :X

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
DeathStrudel said:
The CycloDS doesn't have Auto AP bypass.Thanks, will fix.

DeathStrudel said:
Also, if it's not too much trouble, in the game updates section it might be more helpful to put about how often they update or about how soon after new games are released they update, since only putting yes doesn't tell you much besides that they do update at some point.The DSTwo has better game compability than AKAIO, but it's been updated less... while Wood R4 has worse compatibility than AKAIO at times, even though it's updated a lot more. The update frequency is not directly linked to game compatibility because the carts work differently. If a cart stops getting updates for a period of time (or the updates fix jack shit) then it will no longer have a place on this chart (see: M3i Zero).

l3lackitty said:
Meaning a loss in quality, framerate, and/or smoothness?
Not really, no. If it's something that ONLY run on the DSi (there's like only three games like that) then it won't run on the DS at all. If it's something that has extra features on the DSi then it will run on the DS, but without the extra features. It's easy to think this means better gameplay because of the better specs, but in reality it's usually just some gimmick involving taking a pic of yourself with the camera.

QUOTE(l3lackitty @ Apr 25 2011, 06:18 PM)
Apparently it means something if its one of the contributing factors in your chart :X
It SHOULD mean something, but Nintendo hasn't made anything for the DSi that the gaming community at large really gives a fuck about.

I mean unless you're just dying to play this or something.
tongue.gif

http://www.gizmodiva.com/home_gadgets/hair...al_hair_cut.php

I will put more clear info on DSi mode.

l3lackitty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
Not really, no. If it's something that ONLY run on the DSi (there's like only three games like that) then it won't run on the DS at all. If it's something that has extra features on the DSi then it will run on the DS, but without the extra features. It's easy to think this means better gameplay because of the better specs, but in reality it's usually just some gimmick involving taking a pic of yourself with the camera.(I figured out quotes xD. . except for multiple back and forth in one post >.>)
OOOOoooooooo! I gotcha! Like wifi play (wouldnt work on DS Lite), etc. . Alrighty got it now
tongue.gif
l3lackitty said:
Rydian said:
It SHOULD mean something, but Nintendo hasn't made anything for the DSi that the gaming community at large really gives a fuck about.
I will put more clear info on DSi mode.
Edit (had no response): Yay! ;D (2nd Edit: Slimmed post)
Lol sorry. .

DeathStrudel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
DeathStrudel said:
Also, if it's not too much trouble, in the game updates section it might be more helpful to put about how often they update or about how soon after new games are released they update, since only putting yes doesn't tell you much besides that they do update at some point.
The DSTwo has better game compability than AKAIO, but it's been updated less... while Wood R4 has worse compatibility than AKAIO at times, even though it's updated a lot more. The update frequency is not directly linked to game compatibility because the carts work differently. If a cart stops getting updates for a period of time (or the updates fix jack shit) then it will no longer have a place on this chart (see: M3i Zero).
Umm, ok, but then why even have an update column at all since they will all always say yes? You could just mention that all the cards on the chart get worthwhile updates instead of having a column for it. My main point was just to say the update column could give some more info that could help people make a decision instead of all of them just saying yes and giving people no real help at all.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
DeathStrudel said:
Umm, ok, but then why even have an update column at all since they will all always say yes? You could just mention that all the cards on the chart get worthwhile updates instead of having a column for it. My main point was just to say the update column could give some more info that could help people make a decision instead of all of them just saying yes and giving people no real help at all.
If people think it's better for me to just remove that column and add a note at the top of the thread that all the carts listed there have proper updates, then I'll do it.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
AKAIO's Anti-Anti-Piracy (AAP) is NOT the same thing as the DSTwo's "clean mode".

DSTwo has Clean Mode. This enables new games at the cost of soft-reset and cheats and in-game menus.
AKAIO has AAP. This is just a new type of AP fixing, it will NOT work on all games, it's currently a little buggy, and it still allows soft-reset and cheats.

Normmatt said:
Its an attempt at software emulating reads below 8000h which is used to detect flashcarts.
[...]
It will solve the standard read below 8000h checks that are coming out recently
The AP it bypasses is the new "generic AP we'll stick on games" that Nintendo came up with, that's why it's working on new titles. It's not something that can be done on "weaker" carts, it was mentioned the R4 is not capable of it properly, that's why Wood doesn't have that option and is patching the individual games as they come out.

The DSTwo's Clean Mode makes more games play because it's an all-around method, whereas AKAIO's AAP is focused on one specific type of AP, however it's focus is the AP that new games RIGHT NOW are coming out with, which is why it's playing the same new games as the DSTwo.

It can currently break single-cart download-play, that's why it's optional (so you can turn it off in order to use that feature), future AKAIO versions will not have the AAP option on the screen once it's fixed up properly.

Clean Mode (DSTwo) and AAP (AKAIO/Acekard) are not like Coke and Pepsi. They're like Coke and Iced Tea. They are not the same thing. I'm not saying "they're not the same" for some stupid pedantic political shit, I'm saying they're not the same thing because they're really not the same thing, outside of the fact that both are meant to allow new games to run.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: well, after a day of pain, i'm gonna catch some zs