Hacking Where to get a firmware 4.5 or below 3DS XL?

veemon147

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Picked up a Red/Black 3DS XL from Walmart today. ©2012 on the back, bottom left corner with firmware Ver. 4.4.0-10U.

Attachments

• Ninty.jpg
    Ninty.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 4,302

LimeWan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Picked up a Red/Black 3DS XL from Walmart today. ©2012 on the back, bottom left corner with firmware Ver. 4.4.0-10U.
I assume it's the same for you, but here, every single WalMart keeps their devices behind the locked glass. When you went to buy your device, how did you make sure you got the 2012 one? What did you tell the employee? How did you explain your reasoning for looking at the backs of the packaging?

I ask this because I assume that they ask you which colour you want, and hand you the device themselves. I don't think you can take your time and look at all the products.

Thanks!

PercentSevenC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I went to a local Fred Meyer, told them I wanted a 3DS but that I was looking for a specific model, and asked if I could take a look at the box first. Guy said sure, and I walked out with a shiny new blue/black 4.4 XL. They're usually pretty reasonable about things like that as long as you don't catch them at a busy time. If they don't let you, go to a different store.

Reactions: LimeWan

veemon147

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I assume it's the same for you, but here, every single WalMart keeps their devices behind the locked glass. When you went to buy your device, how did you make sure you got the 2012 one? What did you tell the employee? How did you explain your reasoning for looking at the backs of the packaging?

I ask this because I assume that they ask you which colour you want, and hand you the device themselves. I don't think you can take your time and look at all the products.

Thanks!
Honestly, I don't think they're paid to care.

I just asked the person working in electronics if I could check out one of the DSs. She unlocked the case and handed me the color I wanted, noting that the boxes are sealed so I couldn't actually open one. I was fairly obvious about flipping the box around and looking for something. Once I confirmed there weren't any ©2013s on the box I handed it back and she walked me to the register to pay.

It's not unreasonable for an "uneducated" consumer to read the back with all the features listed. If you do get a 2013 just tell them "My friend told me the older ones are better, could I see a different one?" They're sales associates, not the Gestapo.

Reactions: pelago and LimeWan

LimeWan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I went to a local Fred Meyer, told them I wanted a 3DS but that I was looking for a specific model, and asked if I could take a look at the box first. Guy said sure, and I walked out with a shiny new blue/black 4.4 XL. They're usually pretty reasonable about things like that as long as you don't catch them at a busy time. If they don't let you, go to a different store.
That seems like a reasonable approach to take. My main store for purchases is always Best Buy, but I reckon it will be sold out of the 2012 models. Will not hurt to check though. I assume I will have better luck at WalMart.

However, based on what I am looking for (following this sentence), would getting a Gateway be worth it? I would really like to get Pokemon X or Y, and a few other games, but I am afraid that the Gateway will mess up my whole experience. A few questions:

Will I be able to play 4.5 or older games (purchased) online, even while on 4.5 or with the Gateway exploit 'installed', or online capabilities will simply not be possible?

Still worth getting if I can't play Pokemon X or Y online?

Are 3DS multiplayer games worth losing for a Gateway?

Long post, but would appreciate your opinion.

Thanks again!

LimeWan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Honestly, I don't think they're paid to care.

I just asked the person working in electronics if I could check out one of the DSs. She unlocked the case and handed me the color I wanted, noting that the boxes are sealed so I couldn't actually open one. I was fairly obvious about flipping the box around and looking for something. Once I confirmed there weren't any ©2013s on the box I handed it back and she walked me to the register to pay.

It's not unreasonable for an "uneducated" consumer to read the back with all the features listed. If you do get a 2013 just tell them "My friend told me the older ones are better, could I see a different one?" They're sales associates, not the Gestapo.
Another good point. I only ask because when I went to a Future Shop 2 years ago looking for a MacBook with Snow Leopard (Very hard to find), the sales associate questioned me why I was looking for a computer with the older OS. My reasoning was because of certain programs not being compatible with Lion at the time.

Now, my reason for wanting a 2012 3DS is so that I can use a flashcart to play game backups. That reason doesn't seem as compelling as my reasoning for the MacBook was.

LimeWan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Online does not work with Gateway at all for the time being. And Pokemon is not guaranteed to work at all either.
I am aware of Pokemon possibly not working. That's why I am wondering if the online features of Pokemon X and Y would be worth it in the first place. The new Pokemon games are what sparked my interest in the new 3DS in the first place; before I even heard about the Gateway.

So, I am wondering if the Gateway is worth getting and sacrificing all online capabilities, or if I should just forget about it and buy all of my games in store to ensure online capabilities.

xshoyz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just messaged ebay sellers asking what the firmware was. Found multiple mint regular 3DSs on <4.1-4.5 for <$120 BIN. Multiple mint ~$160 XLs in auction. Easier and cheaper than buying from the store.

PercentSevenC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am aware of Pokemon possibly not working. That's why I am wondering if the online features of Pokemon X and Y would be worth it in the first place. The new Pokemon games are what sparked my interest in the new 3DS in the first place; before I even heard about the Gateway.

So, I am wondering if the Gateway is worth getting and sacrificing all online capabilities, or if I should just forget about it and buy all of my games in store to ensure online capabilities.
Depends on your priorities. I almost never play games online anyway, so for me lack of online isn't a problem at all. I'm just interested in the Gateway for its region-free capabilities.

veemon147

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another good point. I only ask because when I went to a Future Shop 2 years ago looking for a MacBook with Snow Leopard (Very hard to find), the sales associate questioned me why I was looking for a computer with the older OS. My reasoning was because of certain programs not being compatible with Lion at the time.

Now, my reason for wanting a 2012 3DS is so that I can use a flashcart to play game backups. That reason doesn't seem as compelling as my reasoning for the MacBook was.
It's your prerogative as a customer to buy what you want. If they question you, just tell them you've had some of the newer ones have issues (some ship with updated firmware that blocks flashcards, which I consider an issue).

I'm afraid I'm not familiar enough with the Gateway to be much help with your other questions, but the franchise is popular enough that I'm sure you can find your answer somewhere, if not on this forum. From what I've read thus far, online play is iffy but the Gateway should allow you to play most any game via firmware spoofing.

LimeWan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's your prerogative as a seller to buy what you want. If they question you, just tell them you've had some of the newer ones have issues (some ship with updated firmware that blocks flashcards, which I consider an issue).

I'm afraid I'm not familiar enough with the Gateway to be much help with your other questions, but the franchise is popular enough that I'm sure you can find your answer somewhere, if not on this forum. From what I've read thus far, online play is iffy but the Gateway should allow you to play most any game via firmware spoofing.
Sounds great.

Thanks for the help!

Master X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Asking for a pecific model isn't that odd really.

Here's the thing though - The vast majority aren't going to know why your looking for that specific model and can be fooled with a bullshit excuse if they ask questions.

If you somehow do get a clerk that knows why you want that specific model, they'd know right where they are since they've proably already looked for a older model for themselves.

Reactions: pelago

LimeWan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Asking for a pecific model isn't that odd really.

Here's the thing though - The vast majority aren't going to know why your looking for that specific model and can be fooled with a bullshit excuse if they ask questions.

If you somehow do get a clerk that knows why you want that specific model, they'd know right where they are since they've proably already looked for a older model for themselves.
I only wish it were that easy to find said clerk. That would make finding the device a dream. Now after finding a ton of 3DS XL's on eBay for a fairly reasonable price, I don't know if I should either
A: Buy a 3DS in store for $200 right now
B: Wait for a POTENTIAL price drop near Christmas time, yet I risk not finding any 2012 devices, OR
C: Buy used from eBay for cheap price.

I don't know if I should just go for this deal or not, but a seller on eBay is selling one used for around $120 after shipping and all, and is even located in my city. however, the seller is out for the long weekend, and can't return my question about the firmware. Is it worth taking the risk for such a good price?

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I only wish it were that easy to find said clerk. That would make finding the device a dream. Now after finding a ton of 3DS XL's on eBay for a fairly reasonable price, I don't know if I should either
A: Buy a 3DS in store for $200 right now
B: Wait for a POTENTIAL price drop near Christmas time, yet I risk not finding any 2012 devices, OR
C: Buy used from eBay for cheap price.

I don't know if I should just go for this deal or not, but a seller on eBay is selling one used for around $120 after shipping and all, and is even located in my city. however, the seller is out for the long weekend, and can't return my question about the firmware. Is it worth taking the risk for such a good price?
Option B is more than likely not the right choice, since there will probably not be any 2012 models left to buy brand new in any stores by that time.

As for options A or C, it really depends on what you want. Do you prefer buying brand new electronics, or do you not care buying a used unit, knowing it might have been dropped a few times, or the screens slightly (or badly) scratched? As for me, I usually buy brand new.

If you decide to go with the $120 deal on eBay, make sure to confirm the firmware version with the seller before buying. What would be the point of buying used, and ending up with a 5.0+ firmware?

Arnold0

Trophies
Website
arnold0.com
XP
Country
France
I just find an used 3DS (not XL) in good condition with 4.5.0-10E on ebay for 100€, I asked the seller if I could pay the 12 sept and that's not a problem. I'm now good to go with gateway, just have to wait the 12 sept so I could pay the 3DS and buy the cart ;)

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Aus now has the standalone white 3DS. Really tempted to get it but I still have no idea what the firmware is for that one. Not sure the guys at EB will let me test it either. :\

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto