Where Is the Innovation?

innovation.jpg

2016 was very much the year of the remaster, the remake, and the rehash. That's not to say that no original releases were seen; a few big hits like Overwatch and some indie surprises like Stardew Valley, Owlboy and Hyper Light Drifter certainly helped liven up the desolate landscape of games.

When you look at the bigger picture, it becomes clear that the games industry is suffering from blatant reliance on nostalgia and brand names to sell its wares. We'd all like to blame it on the big companies, how dare they sell us the same thing over and over, milking us of our hard-earned cash! No, my dear friends, that is not where the fault lies.

We, as gamers, have become too satisfied with buying more of the same, over and over. We have grown accustomed to and even enamored by remasters and ports that no one ever asked for. Lack of proper backwards compatibility is being used by remake apologists as grounds for buying games again that were already bought years ago. Even games that came out last generation are getting the "HD" treatment. Somehow, we have become willing to shell out $60 again and again for trilogies and collections of games we've likely already played.

_83578385_f1ecf212-240e-46d2-95a7-633b7131892e.jpg

What's more embarrassing is the industry's pitiful attempts at creating something novel. We saw not one, not two, but three console revisions in 2016, two of them being slightly smaller versions of existing ones, and one of them adding a touch more power for a touch more "HD" at a $400 price tag. Virtual reality could easily be pointed to as a source of innovation in the industry, but in many ways, it was more like the laughing stock of the industry. Hardly anyone was rushing out to pay the price of another brand new console for a headset featuring a small handful of games that even work with it. Even the games that did support virtual reality mostly just threw in a little extra mode that lasts maybe an hour. And on the PC side, headsets ran about $800 and required a PC costing at least almost as much to run it capably.

The pitiful remaster trend is only half the problem; uninspired, forced sequels rain from the skies and sometimes even manage to slip under my radar. I wouldn't go so far as to criticize the concept of sequels, but when a game comes out that has the number fifteen in its title, I can't help but be a little concerned about the beating to death of the idea. Every year, like clockwork, our annual steaming heap of AAA franchise fodder gets shoveled on our doorsteps, doing little else than making sure the Steam Store has something to show on the front page each week.

mainImage-650x334.jpg

But forgive me, for I have sinned also. I admit to getting that fix from Twilight Princess HD, and being enamored with the nostalgic world of I Am Setsuna. I can't help but want to play the Kingdom Hearts series again as scattered and disorganized as it is. But I, just as well as you, have a choice. We can choose to be satisfied this way: seeing a few typical indie titles with the occasional AAA hit of the year, and being happy with the shovels full of ports and remasters to fill the other gaps.

Or, we can make the other choice: to demand innovation. We can choose to stop buying these shovels full of ports of remasters, to push indie games beyond their usual limits and lengths, and to urge the AAA industry to create something more original. I'm not organizing a protest, nor creating some token petition. But rather, we must realize that sales are key. If we really want this bland trend to halt immediately, we, even I, need to stop spending money on nostalgia and cheap "HD". I can promise that if we stop buying these nostalgia-preying rehashes and money-hungry sequels, we will at the very least end up happier ourselves, and with more cash in the bank to boot.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'm going to disagree on Halo.

Halo CE got remastered for 360 yes. however, Halo 2 hasn't gotten the anniversary treatment for 360.
Having Halo 3 with upgraded capabilities is also neat.

Those two games do make it worth it.
Luckily, the online maps of Halo 2 etc are also in MCC.

Granted, it's not worth the 50 or 60 quid pricetag but the complete Halo series (apart from Reach) on 1 disc isn't bad.
Especially considering they completely redid all the cinematics.

Reactions: H1B1Esquire

Steena

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
There's room for both innovation and tradition. I think the most important factor is balancing genre/archetype saturation, which has always been a consistent problem with the industry every since the beginning.

I'll take a relatively lazy remake of a genre we don't see anymore but I wouldn't care all too much for giant open world #885 right now, for example.

In the end, the mass consumer spends money badly for everything, not just the bad HD remakes.

Reactions: H1B1Esquire

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have no problems with remakes for older, hard to get games or games that could be worked on. And I mean re-makes.. Not remasters.

But another problem is that people want to much out of the games graphics, and thats where a LOT of the problems are starting to come from. It takes a lot of time and money to do HD, and even more for the eventual 4K (Sorry.. I seriously doubt the Scorpio is going to successfully do 4K and still be affordable). After all, a game that sold close to 10 million copies was deemed a failure. That's... not good. That's throwing away bad money. And even with FFXV I have to wonder if they truly made their money back on that. Or the last Guardian.

Game companies are going to have to accept that they can't keep spending millions upon millions on graphics.. when games like Shovel Knight come out and kick about 90 percent of their butts.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Granted, it's not worth the 50 or 60 quid pricetag
ahhh, price is also something I don't understand on ports and HD remake.
if they make a new game, with new resources (going from 2D to 3D, like FF7) I understand they are spending a lot of money into the project and they have to sell it the full price.
but I don't understand ports being sold the same price than a new release, even more when the said game is already in low price on older system. (Skyrim, I'm looking at you).

they press a button to recompile for the new platform, and sell it full price. ....oh, wait, I know why : people are buying it anyway.

Though, I really like port for series which are spanned over multiple consoles, being able to play all the series on the same console is nice. kingdom hearts having all their games on PS4 is nice for someone new to the series (and milky for users who will buy them again and again even if they already played the old ones).
There are still some series which I wanted to see that started on old consoles, but they don't make ports for the first game (borderlands collection includes only 1.5 and 2, where is the first one???)

Last edited by Cyan,

H1B1Esquire

RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And even with FFXV I have to wonder if they truly made their money back on that.

Maybe Kingsglaive is the preparation for the future.
'Hey, you like that one franchise touted for it's amazing graphics? Come see the movie from the game we didn't include so we could get more in returns and we'll even give you 5% off DLC that's already on the disc, but locked to you.'

I was actually stunned by RE:7 and appalled at RE: whatever-the-fuck-that-shit-is movie. I would have paid $20.00 to see RE:7 in a Cinemax.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
if they make a new game, with new resources (going from 2D to 3D, like FF7) I understand they are spending a lot of money into the project and they have to sell it the full price.
but I don't understand ports being sold the same price than a new release, even more when the said game is already in low price on older system. (Skyrim, I'm looking at you).

they press a button to recompile for the new platform, and sell it full price. ....oh, wait, I know why : people are buying it anyway.

Though, I really like port for series which are spanned over multiple consoles, being able to play all the series on the same console is nice. kingdom hearts having all their games on PS4 is nice for someone new to the series (and milky for users who will buy them again and again even if they already played the old ones).
There are still some series which I wanted to see that started on old consoles, but they don't make ports for the first game

Well, In all honesty, I would get the entire KH series on PS4.
Controls would be better as well as every game is in its upgraded GFX mode.
Aesthetically more pleasing as well.
But yes, the pricetag is usually to steep ;/

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since money is tight and I wanted KH, I have not gotten RE:7 yet.

And I was waiting on some opinions on it from friends that have similar tastes to mine. :D

H1B1Esquire

RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since money is tight and I wanted KH, I have not gotten RE:7 yet.

And I was waiting on some opinions on it from friends that have similar tastes to mine. :D

I'd go for KH just because by the time you beat KH, RE:7 will be on sale. Plus, you know Capcom is going to get you with DLC.

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know it came out at the end of 2015, but Rainbow Six: Siege is pretty innovative, and still supported throughout the end of 2017. Innovation is there, just look where you normally don't.

Reactions: Nightwish

happydance

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, nintendo been getting away with releasing the same games with minimal upgrades with graphics and such and little inovation, why not others can do it too?

I think the problem is they release some games annually which kindda gets boring. Nintend does not release a mario game every year so its not that much noticable even though its the same point a to point b saving the princess on different map/levels

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm okay with remakes, but do a remake on games people haven't played (or at least most)
Like, Final Fantasy 6 for example (imo, this is the best game in the franchise.)
Great game. I'm sure many FF fans will rise, build hype, and drag the modern gamers along with the hype and it will end with a colossal success.
Some scenes in FF6 would look absolutely beautiful with FF15 quality graphics, along with the amazing story and one of the most epic, cruel, and mindtwisted villain I've ever seen.
Ugh I don't get why people call FF6 "the best". Yeah, people's preferences and all that, but FF6 was one of the worst Final Fantasy games in terms of pacing. I hated the inconsistent plot progression amongst the characters (seriously game, PICK SOMEONE TO STICK WITH). There was no solid party to level. I despise that in JRPGs. Give me a group of people I know I can stick with and form a solid strategy! (another reason why I hated Aeris' death in FF7...) Then they give you this false sense of security near the end of the game where everyone is altogether again but then the game pulls the same shit again and splits everyone up like an episode of Scooby Doo. Fuck that.

I like that each character had a moderate amount of development behind them, I suppose. I think the characters and the music is why people say FF6 is the best. In terms of plot, gameplay, environment, and...pretty much all else, the game was mediocre and awful.

FF6 Plot in a nutshell: Dull dull dull. Oh Edgar! Dull dull dull. Boo fucking hoo the empire...Oh Kefka! Baww.

I mean at least FF13 had gorgeous sceneries, music, AND character development. FF13 is better than FF6 in my book. FF13 had that bullshit inconsistent party jibbajabba, tho.

FF Tactics A2 takes the throne as the best Final Fantasy since it wins in all departments except plot where mah boi FF4 sits comfortably.

Last edited by Pluupy,

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
What I disagree with:

Overwatch is not innovative at all, it's an improvement over Team Fortress 2 with a big price tag on it. Splatoon was innovative.

Final Fantasy games are not exactly sequels, they are entirely different stories characters and worlds that just happen to have Chocobos and Phoenix Down (but Bravely Default also does have Phoenix Down, doesn't it?)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

"Tales of" series don't carry high numbers with it, but revolves around the same concept.

Other than that, I think you're on point. Good post.

But I don't have this need of change and innovation when it comes to 3DS. I think its games are perfect, I don't want it to change, just to improve. IMHO it's the best console ever made but that's just me.

Reactions: Nightwish

endoverend

AKA zooksman
OP
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States

There are still some series which I wanted to see that started on old consoles, but they don't make ports for the first game (borderlands collection includes only 1.5 and 2, where is the first one???)
Yeah I almost wanted to make an addendum about price, which is a huge issue. Not only are they selling the same games but they're selling them at the same or higher price.

Reactions: netovsk

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
there's simply not unlimited ways to make new games. thats a fact, overwatch may be fun, but come on, its not the first game of its genre with special characters and abilities and it wont be the last. but it has high production values and sexy character designs all around so it worked out good.

Mollycule

Add me on osu~
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In Japan Psilocybin was outlawed in 2004, arguably games went downhill after the DS, that's just Nintendo though! The next thing will be online superworlds, VR will play a big part and people will be able to buy land and materials to build things, there will be radicals who will try and destroy what you claim as yours and there will be users elected as 'presidents' who will have a sway in what is passed and what isn't. Arguably there will be a police force too, shops and products.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yeah I almost wanted to make an addendum about price, which is a huge issue. Not only are they selling the same games but they're selling them at the same or higher price.
creating these high definition graphics and textures, sadly, is among the most time consuming and expensive parts of making games. and the price, unfortunately, has to reflect that a little.

In Japan Psilocybin was outlawed in 2004, arguably games went downhill after the DS, that's just Nintendo though! The next thing will be online superworlds, VR will play a big part and people will be able to buy land and materials to build things, there will be radicals who will try and destroy what you claim as yours and there will be users elected as 'presidents' who will have a sway in what is passed and what isn't. Arguably there will be a police force too, shops and products.
cant you do that in second life for decades already?
pretty sure there's people who actually got rich selling land and homes in second life

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-