Where Is the Innovation?

innovation.jpg

2016 was very much the year of the remaster, the remake, and the rehash. That's not to say that no original releases were seen; a few big hits like Overwatch and some indie surprises like Stardew Valley, Owlboy and Hyper Light Drifter certainly helped liven up the desolate landscape of games.

When you look at the bigger picture, it becomes clear that the games industry is suffering from blatant reliance on nostalgia and brand names to sell its wares. We'd all like to blame it on the big companies, how dare they sell us the same thing over and over, milking us of our hard-earned cash! No, my dear friends, that is not where the fault lies.

We, as gamers, have become too satisfied with buying more of the same, over and over. We have grown accustomed to and even enamored by remasters and ports that no one ever asked for. Lack of proper backwards compatibility is being used by remake apologists as grounds for buying games again that were already bought years ago. Even games that came out last generation are getting the "HD" treatment. Somehow, we have become willing to shell out $60 again and again for trilogies and collections of games we've likely already played.

_83578385_f1ecf212-240e-46d2-95a7-633b7131892e.jpg

What's more embarrassing is the industry's pitiful attempts at creating something novel. We saw not one, not two, but three console revisions in 2016, two of them being slightly smaller versions of existing ones, and one of them adding a touch more power for a touch more "HD" at a $400 price tag. Virtual reality could easily be pointed to as a source of innovation in the industry, but in many ways, it was more like the laughing stock of the industry. Hardly anyone was rushing out to pay the price of another brand new console for a headset featuring a small handful of games that even work with it. Even the games that did support virtual reality mostly just threw in a little extra mode that lasts maybe an hour. And on the PC side, headsets ran about $800 and required a PC costing at least almost as much to run it capably.

The pitiful remaster trend is only half the problem; uninspired, forced sequels rain from the skies and sometimes even manage to slip under my radar. I wouldn't go so far as to criticize the concept of sequels, but when a game comes out that has the number fifteen in its title, I can't help but be a little concerned about the beating to death of the idea. Every year, like clockwork, our annual steaming heap of AAA franchise fodder gets shoveled on our doorsteps, doing little else than making sure the Steam Store has something to show on the front page each week.

mainImage-650x334.jpg

But forgive me, for I have sinned also. I admit to getting that fix from Twilight Princess HD, and being enamored with the nostalgic world of I Am Setsuna. I can't help but want to play the Kingdom Hearts series again as scattered and disorganized as it is. But I, just as well as you, have a choice. We can choose to be satisfied this way: seeing a few typical indie titles with the occasional AAA hit of the year, and being happy with the shovels full of ports and remasters to fill the other gaps.

Or, we can make the other choice: to demand innovation. We can choose to stop buying these shovels full of ports of remasters, to push indie games beyond their usual limits and lengths, and to urge the AAA industry to create something more original. I'm not organizing a protest, nor creating some token petition. But rather, we must realize that sales are key. If we really want this bland trend to halt immediately, we, even I, need to stop spending money on nostalgia and cheap "HD". I can promise that if we stop buying these nostalgia-preying rehashes and money-hungry sequels, we will at the very least end up happier ourselves, and with more cash in the bank to boot.

Nightwish

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Innovation is out there in the indies, because they don't cater to whiners that want 4k/60fps get gud games. They can pick a niche and do a polished project of love and be happy with it and get enough to keep going. Recently we got Darkest Dungeon, Undertale, Stardew Valley, Steamworld Heist, Jackbox Party, The Witness, Necrodancer, Factorio, Gungeon, Invisible Ink, Owlboy, Firewatch, Hyper Light Drifter, Duskers, Astroneer, Superhot, Pit People, Age of Decadence, The Long Dark, Quadrilateral Cowboy, Stellar Monarch, Stellaris, Videoball, RimWorld, Kerbal, Inside, ... They're not for everyone (they're mostly not for me either) and they're not trying to be, which gives the freedom to do something different without caring about marketing the hell out of an soulless shell.

Because that is what actually sells, the games that are comfortably familiar and shiny. It sucks if you want, say, an innovative FPS (whatever that means at this point), but that doesn't mean people aren't doing new things. Mostly on Steam and Mobile (where I haven't really paid much attention lately).

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, the whole game industry is starting bank off nostalgia. Indies are doing this too, what with their "retro" graphics and music and stuff. Very rarely, though, do I see retro graphics done right (i.e. Shovel Knight, Sonic Mania, etc.). It pains me as a retro gamer to say rhis, but I'm getting sick of pixel art.
Owlboy would get you loving pixel art again pretty fast I think. :yay:

OneShot is pretty fantastic as well.

Reactions: Deleted User

Xuman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great article, I've been feeling the same about remakes and remasters for a while now. I personally believe that Remakes, Remasters, and Rereleases* should be at least 2 generations between each other. The reason I say this is because, typically, each generation is somewhere between 5-7 years apart. This is good because the kids who played the original are now adults and may want to have something of their childhood to play again. But more importantly, it gives a new generation of gamers a chance to play it. Kids that were 6 and 7 are now 16 and 17, so something that their parents woulda said no too, or something that they didn't know about can be enjoyed.

*In regards to Rereleases, I'd like to put Virtual Console, PSN, and whatever Xbox has (I still dont own and xbone) in the spotlight. The fact that it is Rereleasing classic games for cheaper than what they were when they came out, definitely can help those who no longer have the original hard/software to play it, and, once again, the younger generation gets a chance to see what their older siblings/parents played when they were young. The NES Classic edition is perfect for this, in the fact that it gives you 30 games for $60 (Thats $2 a game. Shame that it was limited quantity and scalpers ruined it. Amiibo Deja Vu)

A Remake and remaster needs to warrant a good reason to buy it again, OR at least be $20 cheaper than what it was. A graphical update isnt going to make me jump at a remake if I can find the exact same game on the previous gen for $6 at a used store. If it had DLC previously, then the remaster should have it all included. Thats a good reason to get it.

Give games 2 generations apart, then it aint so bad.

Last edited by Xuman,

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
In Japan Psilocybin was outlawed in 2004, arguably games went downhill after the DS, that's just Nintendo though! The next thing will be online superworlds, VR will play a big part and people will be able to buy land and materials to build things, there will be radicals who will try and destroy what you claim as yours and there will be users elected as 'presidents' who will have a sway in what is passed and what isn't. Arguably there will be a police force too, shops and products.

Saying games went downhill after the DS implies the 3DS isn't great. Of course it's just my opinion but even smaller budget 3DS games are awesome to me, its library is pure greatness. It's hollowing how many people prefer cellphones over a Nintendo handheld.

Reactions: SaffronXL

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mmm, it's been a while since a game really got me excited and wowed me. portal or journey or goat simulator (shush you. it's fun and weird, k.), ya know? im hoping zelda does. setsuna fizzled, elder scrolls online is fun but more distraction fun, and eroge visual novels distract from sleep. as i just got some nice 2k 144hz ips monitors, so maybe ill play through luigis mansion in hd.

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We may shit on Nintendo for their weak hardware and ass to mouth decisions they make but at the end of the day they are the only ones left coming forth with any innovation to breath life into the industry.

I'd give VR more credit but it's been done before and it's crawling at a snails pace to even make any noticeable impact. I hope I'm wrong and it really becomes the next big step we've been waiting for.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I'd give VR more credit but it's been done before and it's crawling at a snails pace to even make any noticeable impact. I hope I'm wrong and it really becomes the next big step we've been waiting for.
I'm looking at headsets as the next step (as an evolution of the display, not as a control scheme), but the full VR is too expensive and cumbersome and impractical and harrowing to be anything more than a showroom attraction at this time, not something you can have in your living room / hangar (because that's roughly the space you need in order to play without hitting into things).

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm really getting sick of hearing this 'innovation' thing all the time. And why the fuck does this "article" deserves a front page mentioning? EDIT: it's apparently common for threads made by staff, so I can't really blame endoverend for this. Sorry. C'mon...it's a one sided rant about a buzzword that gamers don't care about in the first place. And as if that isn't enough: it's not even remotely true in the first place. :angry:

Okay....now that I've probably pissed off everyone (especially @endoverend), I guess I'll better elaborate.

Let's start with the buzzword thing. "innovation" is one of those terms that gets thrown around on game presentations a lot and is a staple for bullshit bingo*. While literally, it means "new idea, device or method" (yeah, wikipedia source...I know), it is used in a context that has to convey the audience that they've tweaked and improved their formulae. And there's the rub: I said improved...and that implies that the old one wasn't good or even great. And with an audience that continues to request new entries to existing franchises (I'll get to that) that is pretty tough. Game developers are usually smart enough to tweak whatever made their game great into the best possibility after at most 3 games. After that, all they can really do is mocking about a bit for sake of the audience.

Then there's this whole remake flood. Yes, there are a lot of 'em, but why should we really care? From the OP:
We can choose to stop buying these shovels full of ports of remasters, to push indie games beyond their usual limits and lengths, and to urge the AAA industry to create something more original.
To be fair, I only disagree with the first word: I'm not part of the "we" who keeps purchasing ports or remasters. I've played almost exclusively indies for at least 3 years now and my backlog is so huge I haven't even begun playing games from last year. And by no matter what standards, 2016 was an AWESOME year for indie games.

But hey...at this point, I don't even bother convincing people anymore. Games like nova-111, severed, the swapper, never alone and nihilumbra tick all the boxes to no matter how you define "innovation" (teslagrad probably as well, but I haven't played enough of it to know for sure), but it doesn't have Mario or Link's face on it so nobody is going to vote for it in the wiiu essential list. I guess people just love complaining about the lack of metroid on the wiiu too much to notice this little gem called axiom verge. But this thread really brings to attention that this isn't so much a matter of oversight or ignorance but a sort of blindness as well. I mean...that very picture of the vive in the article disproves the whole "there is no innovation" part.
Virtual reality could easily be pointed to as a source of innovation in the industry, but in many ways, it was more like the laughing stock of the industry. Hardly anyone was rushing out to pay the price of another brand new console for a headset featuring a small handful of games that even work with it.
I hate to say it this blunt, but you are just plain wrong here: :(
-laughing stock of the industry? Have you even checked reviews on virtual reality? Almost all reviewers praise both the vive and the occulus rift (sony's implementation as well, but more in terms of costs/efficiency).
-it's not somehow less innovative if it's not a market success. With those prices, developers knew in advance the average household wasn't going to rush out to get one. But they're busy succeeding well in many other areas: just a couple days ago I read an article on how a job at railroad maintenance used VR to train new staff.
-new technology mean that devs still have to figure out how things work (like...not giving the player motion sickness). 2016 mostly placed the mark for the hardware...I'm sure that if prices get lower and software gets more tuned to the idea, it'll be a great way to game

I already pointed to the blindness of gbatemp to recognize quality if it isn't a nintendo first party title, but it gets even weirder. The quality of mobile games gets better with each passing year, and in 2016 even nintendo FINALLY took some steps in that direction. The result was that these sorts of stampedes happened throughout the world. It wasn't the first game to use GPS to lure out players into the real world, but Niantic's implementation of pokémon innovated that formula so much that it made the world news. But on a forum like this, mobile games weren't considered games and as such it didn't even got a spot on the nominees for best game of the year. :rolleyes:

*sigh* Look...I really don't want to bash people with a different opinion, but when I call this article a rant I mean it. An article is supposed to make people think, reconsider different possibilities or angles on a situation. This one only reinforces an already popular stance on gaming by minimalizing or even leaving out clear examples of the exact opposite of what the subject is about.

There's this saying I once picked up: "you don't perceive the world as it is but rather in the way that you are". Those who mindedlessly agreed to the article or put a "love" on it would do well to take that into account.Truth is we're being bombarded with games that excel in new ways, brought into ways that are different or strange. This isn't always a good thing (I honestly don't care that nintendo increased their rumble function to a new height...but that also doesn't make it less innovative), but it is certainly there. And if you can't find it...erm...sorry, but I sort of pity you. I gotta admit: in the beginning of the '10ies (tenties? In any case: 2010, 2011, early 2012) I also perceived games as being all samey. Then I started following indie games (and to a lesser degree: mobile games) and never looked back.

PS: I guess this is off-topic, but board games are also sort of doing a renaissance thing. The old days of boring monopoly or trivial pursuit are long gone: nowaday's board game developers have a very good understanding of what makes games fun and have as such really increased the overall quality of what you find in a game store.

Last edited by Taleweaver, , Reason: question about the OP being first post is answered
Reactions: Nightwish

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm really getting sick of hearing this 'innovation' thing all the time. And why the fuck does this "article" deserves a front page mentioning? C'mon...it's a one sided rant about a buzzword that gamers don't care about in the first place. And as if that isn't enough: it's not even remotely true in the first place. :angry:
It's because it's a post by a staff member. How this thread is news at all I don't understand either. I guess his opinions are just that important.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: