Hardware What's Wrong With My Wii U?

FlashStrife

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all, hoping to get some help here since I'm still pretty n00bish when it comes to fixing consoles. My Wii U has been having problems where it either doesn't startup most of the time because the gamepad doesn't connect and TV just shows a black screen or it does try to startup and I get picture on TV but it freezes on either the Wii U logo or sometimes on the home menu or settings. I can say it doesn't seem to be a gamepad issue since I've tried it on another Wii U and it works fine and also there are no error codes it spits out at me like the google searches I've done like to say so it seems to be a problem with the console itself. When it does go to the home menu it usually freezes fast within a minute but the other day I managed to have it work for like 7-10 minutes before it froze, long enough to format an external hard drive since I'm hoping to backup my saves and games in case there is no fix. I haven't modded the system or anything like that. Was wondering if anyone knows about this issue and a possible fix. Thanks!

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Copying the saves to an external Harddrive won't help you wthout the otp and seeprom, as it is only readable by this console, because of the encryption.

I would suggest you try to install ISFShax via the Browser method. Once that is done we are somewhat save in case things get worse. Once ISFShax is installed, you can dump the logs in minute and we then can have a look at them.

Last edited by SDIO,

FlashStrife

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the replies! Will have to look into these. Not sure installing anything would work right now since I can't even get picture more than half the time and it freezes up pretty fast if I do get picture so worried that attempting to install stuff would perma brick it. Might try opening it up first to see if anything is going on inside and ordering a Raspberry.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the replies! Will have to look into these. Not sure installing anything would work right now since I can't even get picture more than half the time and it freezes up pretty fast if I do get picture so worried that attempting to install stuff would perma brick it. Might try opening it up first to see if anything is going on inside and ordering a Raspberry.
Get us logs first. You can do that even with the system in this state easily.

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
ISFShax is really minimal. Also the Installer doesn't run under the Wii U OS. So if you are able to execute the browser exploit, you get into minute, there it shouldn't freeze anymore. Once ISFShax is installes you are relativly safe, so this is ypur best bet. We can look at the logs, once the console protected by ISFShax.

FlashStrife

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, it it doesn't risk bricking then I'll try that and hold off on opening the system. Need to order a SD card first since I don't have any at the moment. Any recommended size or type of card to get for this or anything is fine? And should I get a Pico just in case as well or do you think it's not needed at the moment?

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
For ISFShax any SD will do. If that problem is caused by a failing eMMC and you then want do use redNAND a larger SD would be better.
If you get ISFShax installed through the browser exploit, the. You don't need a pico.
In case things get worse and that doesn't work anymore, you would need the pico.

FlashStrife

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SD card arrived late but I got it formatted to Fat32 and the files for ISFShax on it now at least. Gonna start on it later. Should I do all the steps listed in that thread or is there anything different I need to do?

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just wollow the guide. You want to use the browser method. You can skip the Autoboot and Aroma/Tiramisu parts for now

FlashStrife

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did everything up until the booting section. Should I do that too? Just FYI I accidentally did that first when I started since I got the power and eject buttons mixed up when it first booted into minute. Anything else I should do afterwards?

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
In minute you can now go to the backup and restore menu and dump the sysdtem crash logs and upload them, so we can have a look

FlashStrife

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here you go, hope this helps. Just FYI I haven't done the Patch (sd) and boot IOS (slc) from the booting section yet or any section after that.

Attachments

• logs.7z
    143.2 KB · Views: 13

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I always see this error in the log before it stops:
Code:
FAIL: PPC Core 0 Heartbeat Failed!  Restarting...
PPC Core 0 Heartbeat Failed!
I never saw this error before, but it might indicate that core 0 is bad?

EDIT: looked through the logs more closely and it also seem to happen with Core 1.
So maybe it could also be a power problem or something like that.

Last edited by SDIO,

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yes that sounds like a hardware failure. You could use a multiple to check the voltages for the soc

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Oh you also mentioned you want to recovery your saves, we should tackle that first.
During the ISFShax install you dumped OTP and seeprom. Copy that to the PC an keep it somewhere safe.
If you have games on an extenral HDD you can use DumpterU together with these two files to dump the saves from there.
For the games in the internal memory: we can dump the whole internal memory and then extract the saves using a PC. for that you need a 64GB or larger SD card. The SD card will be wiped completely (which is fine) if it doesn't have at least 32GB unpartitioned space at the end. Make sure it is FAT32 formatted and put the minute fw.img on it. Then in minute you can go to the Backup and Restore menu and select "Format redNAND". That will create a partition for the MLC and clone it there.
Once that is done we can use wfs-extract to extract the saves from there.

FlashStrife

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an extra 64GB sd card. Should I copy all the files from the 1st card to the 2nd one for minute to work or just fw.img? And will format redNAND do anything to the system or is it just cloning it to the SD?

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
you only need to have the fw.img on there it will get wiped anyway if you don't shrink the partition. Just make sure it is FAt32

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto