Hacking What to do when you install the wrong firmware

Obverser

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, GBATemp community. I have had a recent problem while trying to install Custom Firmware on my 2DS. While I was following the steps I decided to find alternative files to avoid the magnet(or torrent) links. When I got a firmware to install I accidently installed a New 3DS Firmware and it is now unusable. It is asking to turn on the 3d switch even though the device does not have one. Any way I can hardmod it to revert back to a regular 2DS? (With CFW would be nice but not needed) Thank you in advanced.

Best Hopes and Wishes,
Obverser :nds:

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hello, GBATemp community. I have had a recent problem while trying to install Custom Firmware on my 2DS. While I was following the steps I decided to find alternative files to avoid the magnet(or torrent) links. When I got a firmware to install I accidently installed a New 3DS Firmware and it is now unusable. It is asking to turn on the 3d switch even though the device does not have one. Any way I can hardmod it to revert back to a regular 2DS? (With CFW would be nice but not needed) Thank you in advanced.

Best Hopes and Wishes,
Obverser :nds:
It sounds like you used an outdated guide, the current guide (http://3ds.guide) that uses B9S doesn't need you to downgrade your firmware anymore.
But the good news is, it is probably fixable.
It's not a n3DS firmware, you likely downgraded to 2.1 (which there is no n3DS firmware for), the 2DS didn't exist yet when that was released, so it doesn't have the code that checks if you're on a 2DS and skips that part of the guide.
Give me a sec to find the link for the tool to fix it.

Edit: https://gbatemp.net/threads/2dsaver-beta-fix-your-2ds-format-brick-testers-needed.457828/
You will need Cubic Ninja or OoT, and a way to install the hacked save (a 3DS with homebrew or a Powersaves)
Alternatively you can buy a ntrboot compatible flashcart such as http://www.nds-card.com/proshow.asp?PageNo=41&ProID=149 and use it to flash a ctrtransfer image restoring your 2DS back to a newer firmware. This doesn't require any extra hardware, and

Edit2: The cart is good to have anyway as it can be used to play DS games when you're done, and can also be used to hack any current and future 3DS in minutes. But if you have soldering experience and don't mind the risk you can hardmod the 3DS and install boot9strap on it and unbrick the 3DS using that. Doesn't require any extra hardware if you already have the tools and a compatible SD reader and you can do a temp hardmod so you don't have to mod the case with a connector.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Obverser

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have found my NAND, but I forgot to mention that it is stuck on the n3ds's firmware "slide the 3d switch" setup part. Any ideas? :nds:

Best Hopes and Wishes,
Obverser. :gba:

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I have found my NAND, but I forgot to mention that it is stuck on the n3ds's firmware "slide the 3d switch" setup part. Any ideas? :nds:

Best Hopes and Wishes,
Obverser. :gba:
Did you try what Jdbye said? You can either install B9S using an ntrboot flashcart (get one that is already flashed or has a switch) and restore your NAND backup, or use the OoT or Cubic Ninja thing to make it think it is past the setup stage.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended