Gaming What Speed do you download at??

scousethief

Trophies
XP
Country
djdynamite123 said:
QUOTE said:
Im on the same as you 20mb and get around the same speeds from usenet ( but then we do live in the same area nearly ) brother in law works for virgin and i know some of the techs in liverpool 50 meg will be 50 meg IF the source can up at that speed.
lol, some people just don't understand downloading is not the same as what speednet or whatever states your downloading at, i got to say i don't actually get capped much, like today iv'e downloaded about 20gig lol. yeah i know ridiculous amount, but i download all sorts of series, etc.

what the fuck are you talking about ? usenet is a newsgroup server and is one the fastest means of file transfer i get 20 meg all day up until 4 when the cap comes in and no matter who you are if your on virgin in this area you are capped after or at 4 gig at that approx time. Whether you have downloaded 20 gig ( wow like no one else can ) or not you are still capped like the rest of virgins users its done at the head end you have no control over it whatsoever.

And 20 gig would take me around 3 1/2 hours to download frrom newsgroups at my max speed.

djdynamite123

Master Of Hardcore!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.djdynamite.bravehost.com
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
what the fuck are you talking about ? usenet is a newsgroup server and is one the fastest means of file transfer i get 20 meg all day up until 4 when the cap comes in and no matter who you are if your on virgin in this area you are capped after or at 4 gig at that approx time. Whether you have downloaded 20 gig ( wow like no one else can ) or not you are still capped like the rest of virgins users its done at the head end you have no control over it whatsoever.

And 20 gig would take me around 3 1/2 hours to download frrom newsgroups at my max speed.
I was just saying about not getting mixed up with real downloading speeds to the stats from say speednet or whatever, people think that's what they would get...
And yeah it is around 4pm cap comes into place although i don't notice it.

QUOTEget 20 meg
what's that........
cows,
Sheeps,
Dogs,
NONONO I Know what it is.....its bullshit

You dont get a full 20mb broadband connection all day, full of sh*t, check your connections at different times, you must have an average like the rest of us, like i said im about 12-16 average according to zdnet

jakeruston

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
On virgin media, averaging about 1000Kb/s but with 4 other PC's all using the connection
smile.gif

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Through usenet I'm getting a nice constant speed of about 1500 KB/s. So in about an hour I can download a complete Wii game. And no data limit, so I'm quite happy with my connection

scousethief

Trophies
XP
Country
You dont get a full 20mb broadband connection all day, full of sh*t, check your connections at different times, you must have an average like the rest of us, like i said im about 12-16 average according to zdnet

Please dont mis quote me you just make yourself look like a 14 year old arsehole

i get 20 meg all day up until 4 when the cap comes in is exactly what i said.

wrong m8 sorry you need to check your facts again , virgin monitor nothing at all until the time they enforce the cap limit which drops a 20 meg user down to around 500k +/- up until that point it is pretty much down to the source you are receiving from and to an extent the amount of connections you have on your local node ie the green box your modem connects to and how many people share that connection which in my case is 2. I can pummel this connection into submission if i want to and i do regularly. And an average of 12-16 is good from shitty torrent sites try ftp from a 100mbit server or give a decent newsgroup a shot you will see what speeds are and they are in no means the fastest. Please next time you decide to start spouting rubbish at least have the decency to spout at someone whos technical knowledge doesnt surpass your own.

i think its about time mummy tucked you into bed isnt it.

Beatchu

Trophies
XP
Country
scousethief said:

Please dont mis quote me you just make yourself look like a 14 year old arsehole

i get 20 meg all day up until 4 when the cap comes in is exactly what i said.

wrong m8 sorry you need to check your facts again , virgin monitor nothing at all until the time they enforce the cap limit which drops a 20 meg user down to around 500k +/- up until that point it is pretty much down to the source you are receiving from and to an extent the amount of connections you have on your local node ie the green box your modem connects to and how many people share that connection which in my case is 2. I can pummel this connection into submission if i want to and i do regularly. And an average of 12-16 is good from shitty torrent sites try ftp from a 100mbit server or give a decent newsgroup a shot you will see what speeds are and they are in no means the fastest. Please next time you decide to start spouting rubbish at least have the decency to spout at someone whos technical knowledge doesnt surpass your own.

i think its about time mummy tucked you into bed isnt it.
:S damn... you got raped dj

quim69

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
djdynamite123 said:
gunna say impossible to get them speeds at home
wouldn't even get that with 50mb broadband at home with home connection, when that comes out.
I regularly get 6mbyte/second on my 50/50mbit line (at home).

I also get around 4mbyte/second on a dual-bonded 24mbit ADSL (40/4mbit) line.

3mbyte/sec isn't possible on virgin media currently - 20mbit : 20/8 = 2.5mbyte/sec. Minus overheads and you are looking at ~2.4mbyte/sec. Any more is your software misrepresenting (as will happen from time to time).

On VM, discounting contention you will get 20mbit between 21:00 and 10:00. Between 10:00 and 15:00 you will get 20mbit until you have leeched 6gb, wherein they will throttle you to 5mbit (~600kbyte/sec). Between the hours of 16:00 and 21:00 they will throttle you down to 5mbit if you download more than 3gbyte during that period.

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html for proof, if it's needed.

Not all areas have changed over though and some are still on the 20mbit until 16:00 then 5mbit until midnight. I think knowsley UBR has switched over, amongst others.

The cap is easily bypassed by flashing your modem and using someone elses MAC, but that is illegal. ;p

QUOTE(djdynamite123 @ Nov 14 2008, 05:16 PM) I'm on 20mb broadband the highest available at the minute till 50 comes out, which is useless!!
You do realise you there is more broadband than just VM? The fastest consumer broadband in the UK is BeThere with 24mbit currently. (They have been trialling bonding which will give you 40mbit and VM are trialling the 50mbit but neither are available to the public yet). You can also get a leased line (which is what I've had for the past 2yrs, along with 2bethere lines).

Banger

Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
16mbit download with a 2mbit upload... IT is so slow
frown.gif
But it is the fastest they offer here. As soon as they release the speed I am all up on that. when they went from 10mbit down with a 1mbit upload I was on that like a fat kid on cake.

Matalok

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
quim69 said:
Not all areas have changed over though and some are still on the 20mbit until 16:00 then 5mbit until midnight. I think knowsley UBR has switched over, amongst others.

I thought that the new traffic management rules came in with the 4->10 and 10->20mbit upgrades? Ahh well. All them lucky gits on ex-BY seem to get alot better service than us old ex-C&W scummers
smile.gif

exobuzz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sounds like the poster thinks that because he has 20mbit in the UK, and it is amongst the fastest, that is the same worldwide. oh dear.

Note that in Japan and Korea gigabit internet home connectivity is available.

and in other countries in Europe 100mbit is common for home connections.

i have about 20mbit down and 2.5mbit up. I'd be quite happy to have less downstream in return for more upstream too.

scousethief

Trophies
XP
Country
same m8 id sacrifice some bandwidth for faster upstream rates, then again no point having that speed and shaking your balls for all to see when your access is public torrents that anyone can gain access to and Jose bollockeros can trounce you with his gigabit connection lol.

anyway for the record

20 meg cable ( capped as every other cable user at certain times)

And Foobeh
grog.gif
u lucky bugger

Reser

Trophies
XP
Country
my fastest is 1500Kb/sec on 24Mb adsl but I only get 15Mb cause of my distance from exchange.

My provider have never had to cap anyone yet and i download alot. They do have a 'fair use policy' but have stated as yet they have never felt the need to cap anyone and only will if their network is directly affected. I download up to 20GB a day at times.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, burp