Hacking What size Micro SD you have?

MassDestruct

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Flashcart is on the way (Hopefully!!)
Just wondered what size MicroSD everybody uses? And what Brand?
Most of my external memory (USB Stick etc are all Sandisk - and I've never had a problem with them)

I like to play Pokemon games which I think are a bit higher in file size than some of the others so I was looking towards an 8gb card because it's within my budget.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
day to day use i have an 8gb. i never saw the need for more. i have a few thousands games on it (via emulation) and a handful of fun ds games. also some vids, mp3s, pics, comics, books, etc.

class speed is write speed only and won't have much to do with gaming, which is read speed. i did some testing with a flash kit kernel dev awhile back and we were surprised to find that some of the major brand class 6 and 10 cards had really bad read speeds.

the 2 brands recommended the most are adata and transcend. i personally have transcend cards, i've abused the crap out of them, and they all work great. what kind of abuse you may be asking? i beta tested hundreds of ds homebrew files over the years and did a few emulation full set compatibility lists. for as much as i abused the cards they never failed me. i can't say the same for Patriot, my 32 gb cards from them died in a week and i had to RMA it for a replacement. i also have issues with 1 of my kingston class 4 cards, which i used for flash kit reviews.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820208453

-another world

Kouen Hasuki

Coffee Addict
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
the 2 brands recommended the most are adata and transcend. i personally have transcend cards, i've abused the crap out of them, and they all work great. what kind of abuse you may be asking? i beta tested hundreds of ds homebrew files over the years and did a few emulation full set compatibility lists. for as much as i abused the cards they never failed me. i can't say the same for Patriot, my 32 gb cards from them died in a week and i had to RMA it for a replacement. i also have issues with 1 of my kingston class 4 cards, which i used for flash kit reviews.

-another world

Should take a look at the "Team" branded ones I gave em a lickin and they keep on ticking :) In my PSP and DS

TheRedfox

blep
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Abusing a card is simple, put it in a PC with low RAM and make a swap device out of it. I can say that your sdcard is dead within a month xP

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
8GB but I have a spare 32GB class 10 I was thinking of using. Only problem is it's overkill and it would be better used for something else, but my phone and tablet don't take MicroSDs so I don't have much to use it for.
My 8GB is rather full at the moment though but I haven't downloaded a lot of DS games lately and they probably won't be produced for much longer anyway.

day to day use i have an 8gb. i never saw the need for more. i have a few thousands games on it (via emulation) and a handful of fun ds games. also some vids, mp3s, pics, comics, books, etc.

class speed is write speed only and won't have much to do with gaming, which is read speed. i did some testing with a flash kit kernel dev awhile back and we were surprised to find that some of the major brand class 6 and 10 cards had really bad read speeds.

-another world
Actually, the SDHC class specifies minimum read and write speed. The read speed is usually faster than the minimum, but it's not a given.
I've noticed Kingston cards always have much higher read and write speeds than specified, that's why I would recommend them to anyone.
A Kingston class 4 is actually fast enough to be rated as a class 6. I got over 7MB/s write and around 14MB/s read with both the cards I tested (SDHC and non-SDHC)
Sandisk class 2's by comparison are much slower (and cost more on top of that)

However, I do NOT recommend Transcend. I had a Transcend 16GB class 10 MicroSD in my old phone (Android) and it broke within half a year. That's the first and last time I buy a Transcend card.

PROTOBOY

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I use sandisk class 4 32 GB.
Is not many space because I carry all NES rooms and a lot of movies, video clips in DPG videos.

I most use it to see when everybody is sleeping that turns impossible to see on pc

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I personally use a 4GB. I used to use an 8GB and 16GB, but I found all I did was fill it with roms and never played them, so I downgraded back to a 4GB to solve that.
That's just me personally though.

I mostly use SanDisk brands as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: *peacefully