What size Micro SD you have?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by MassDestruct, May 21, 2013.

1. MassDestruct
    OP

MassDestruct Member

Newcomer
    May 19, 2013
    Cornwall
    Flashcart is on the way (Hopefully!!)
    Just wondered what size MicroSD everybody uses? And what Brand?
    Most of my external memory (USB Stick etc are all Sandisk - and I've never had a problem with them)

I like to play Pokemon games which I think are a bit higher in file size than some of the others so I was looking towards an 8gb card because it's within my budget.

2. TyBlood13

TyBlood13 Weeaboo Trash

Jul 1, 2012
    United States
    Kentucky
    8GB will be more than enough. I personally use a 16GB, but only about 6GB of that is NDS Roms, and I have quite a bit of them. The Pokemon games together are less than 2GB, if that helps.

MassDestruct likes this.
  3. Pong20302000

Pong20302000 making notes on everything

Sep 8, 2009
    One's inner self
    i personally use 16GB

but its the 4-6 class micro SD cards you want to avoid game lag

edit: mine a class 10 16Gb MicroSD, but thats because i use it in multiple devices

TyBlood13 likes this.
  4. Kouen Hasuki

Kouen Hasuki Kouen the Cyber Husky

Jan 9, 2013
    Norway
    Gaming Bunker
    Team Brand Class 4 16GB

Works fine for me, I store my GBA Roms for my 3in1 as well as my DS Roms in there so I am happy to have the extra space

5. TheRedfox

TheRedfox Admire our great leader ;o;

May 17, 2012
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Nope
    Samsung 32GB class 10 lol

6. Another World

Another World Emulate the Planet!

Former Staff
    Jan 3, 2008
    Colombia
    From Where???
    day to day use i have an 8gb. i never saw the need for more. i have a few thousands games on it (via emulation) and a handful of fun ds games. also some vids, mp3s, pics, comics, books, etc.

class speed is write speed only and won't have much to do with gaming, which is read speed. i did some testing with a flash kit kernel dev awhile back and we were surprised to find that some of the major brand class 6 and 10 cards had really bad read speeds.

the 2 brands recommended the most are adata and transcend. i personally have transcend cards, i've abused the crap out of them, and they all work great. what kind of abuse you may be asking? i beta tested hundreds of ds homebrew files over the years and did a few emulation full set compatibility lists. for as much as i abused the cards they never failed me. i can't say the same for Patriot, my 32 gb cards from them died in a week and i had to RMA it for a replacement. i also have issues with 1 of my kingston class 4 cards, which i used for flash kit reviews.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820208453

-another world

7. Kouen Hasuki

Kouen Hasuki Kouen the Cyber Husky

Jan 9, 2013
    Norway
    Gaming Bunker
    Should take a look at the "Team" branded ones I gave em a lickin and they keep on ticking :) In my PSP and DS

8. reprep

reprep GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    i have used a lot of sandisk cards and never had a problem. just don't buy the card from ebay to avoid fake cards.

9. TheRedfox

TheRedfox Admire our great leader ;o;

May 17, 2012
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Nope
    Abusing a card is simple, put it in a PC with low RAM and make a swap device out of it. I can say that your sdcard is dead within a month xP

10. LockeCole_101629

LockeCole_101629 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 6, 2012
    New Zealand
    32GB local brand.

11. EyeZ

EyeZ GBAtemp Addict

Dec 4, 2009
    I will only use the Transcend 8GB Class 6.

12. BORTZ

BORTZ "Another stunning Van Gogh"

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    4 gig SanDisk. Honestly you get much more than that and piracy syndrome is going to start getting to you.

13. dragonblood9999

dragonblood9999 GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 27, 2007
    Canada
    i use a 16gb lexar class 4(i think its class 4) but will soon upgrade to a 32gb

14. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    8GB but I have a spare 32GB class 10 I was thinking of using. Only problem is it's overkill and it would be better used for something else, but my phone and tablet don't take MicroSDs so I don't have much to use it for.
    My 8GB is rather full at the moment though but I haven't downloaded a lot of DS games lately and they probably won't be produced for much longer anyway.

Actually, the SDHC class specifies minimum read and write speed. The read speed is usually faster than the minimum, but it's not a given.
    I've noticed Kingston cards always have much higher read and write speeds than specified, that's why I would recommend them to anyone.
    A Kingston class 4 is actually fast enough to be rated as a class 6. I got over 7MB/s write and around 14MB/s read with both the cards I tested (SDHC and non-SDHC)
    Sandisk class 2's by comparison are much slower (and cost more on top of that)

However, I do NOT recommend Transcend. I had a Transcend 16GB class 10 MicroSD in my old phone (Android) and it broke within half a year. That's the first and last time I buy a Transcend card.

15. PROTOBOY

PROTOBOY GBAtemp Regular

Apr 21, 2011
    Canada
    I use sandisk class 4 32 GB.
    Is not many space because I carry all NES rooms and a lot of movies, video clips in DPG videos.

I most use it to see when everybody is sleeping that turns impossible to see on pc

16. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    I personally use a 4GB. I used to use an 8GB and 16GB, but I found all I did was fill it with roms and never played them, so I downgraded back to a 4GB to solve that.
    That's just me personally though.

I mostly use SanDisk brands as well.

17. TackyPie

TackyPie GBAtemp Fan

Jul 4, 2012
    United States
    I have a 8gb SanDisk Micro SDHC

18. emigre

emigre Has complex motives

Jan 28, 2009
    London
    I've used 1GB exclusively.