Hacking Question What Can a Heavy NSO User Gain From A CFW?

Tee_

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am a very heavy user of Nintendo Switch Online. Online play is my basis for most consoles, the Switch being no exception. Every other console I own is modded in some way and I know the general rule is to avoid online play under CFW due to being caught etc. Is there any benefit for me, an online player to modding my Switch? Just to be clear I intend not to use it for piracy, but I would be very set on still playing online in the games I already own, and will come to own (legitimately) in the future. I've been on the fence for a while now and I'm trying to find out what exactly the repercussions are for having CFW on the Switch and if it's worth having to essentially give up online play (should I have to at all) to be able to use CFW. Do you think it's worth it... ?

Tee_

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No, not really. The point of cfw is to pirate games, play retro games & homebrew
This is what I thought, many other consoles are the same with CFW. In fact all of my modded ones are. I'll probably hold off until I lose interest in the online features.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

A ban.

Wanna use online? Don't hack your Switch.
Unless you're willing to backup your NAND everytime, and restore a backup everytime... but just forget to delete your WiFi settings even once and you'll be SOL.
Well, yeah. I knew a ban would be on the cards. If there isn't much developed for it yet that makes it worth while past being able to pirate games then I probably will not do this until I decide I don't want to pay for NSO anymore. Thanks.

Last edited by Tee_,

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you're interested in homebrew, emulators etc, but not in a desperate hurry, then wait for atmosphere's emunand to be released, then you should have the option of playing your legit games online on your sparkly clean sysnand, while running retro games and whatever on your offline emunand. For the time being tho, keep things legit if online play is your priority.

Tee_

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you're interested in homebrew, emulators etc, but not in a desperate hurry, then wait for atmosphere's emunand to be released, then you should have the option of playing your legit games online on your sparkly clean sysnand, while running retro games and whatever on your offline emunand. For the time being tho, keep things legit if online play is your priority.
Great response, I didn't even know this was set to be released. I'll wait until I learn more of this. Thanks a lot

Reactions: hippy dave

Snomannen_kalle

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I am a very heavy user of Nintendo Switch Online. Online play is my basis for most consoles, the Switch being no exception. Every other console I own is modded in some way and I know the general rule is to avoid online play under CFW due to being caught etc. Is there any benefit for me, an online player to modding my Switch? Just to be clear I intend not to use it for piracy, but I would be very set on still playing online in the games I already own, and will come to own (legitimately) in the future. I've been on the fence for a while now and I'm trying to find out what exactly the repercussions are for having CFW on the Switch and if it's worth having to essentially give up online play (should I have to at all) to be able to use CFW. Do you think it's worth it... ?
This is not a solution for homebrew, but if you want emulators, I'd recommend Lakka, although sound doesn't work natively yet (bluetooth speakers or headphones work). Not a CFW, but awesome nonetheless

Reactions: bundat

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, People who create revival services for the Wii end up in disaster, same goes for Pretendo lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast wiimmfii went fine although people only use it for Mario kart Wii
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    At least if they ban you for cheating, get another Wii. They're cheap as chips.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Remember when RiiShop was a thing?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    not really
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It got shutdown because somebody "accidentally" leaked the database for the amount of people using the beta.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    RiiShop is the laziest way of downloading Wii games. Did somebody not think of this through?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    although i ended up accidentally changing my nand with no way of going back bc i didn't know you needed a gamecube controller to restore it (i have a wii minus/1.1, which doesn't have gamecube controller support)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, I think you're talking about the recovery mode that the SaveMii used, and also was to restore softbricked systems.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If your NAND was hardbricked, then just buy another Wii. Or go with the dirty NAND flasher method.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and if i find the sd card i have my NAND backed up on, i can not only restore the NAND if i solder the right part in, but i can also put my NAND on dolphin, then i can play dolphin online, like PMEX Remix or MKWii Riibalanced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Oh yeah, that was a thing too. Dolphin does support Wiimmfi.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah you just need to put your NAND backup with wiimmfi on it
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ngl i feel like if a bunch of my friends have wiis and know how to get wiimmfi and back up their NAND, then we could do a PMEX Remix tournament
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    maybe even add UMVC3/DBFZ and make it a biathlon/triathlon
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Too bad Excite Truck wasn't multi player :(
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Loved that game lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, sorry for the stupid suggestion I had in that thread
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its fine
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    what thread?
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxR2jow50Bs