Vote For The Legend Of Zelda: The Wind Waker As Best Video Game Of The Decade

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Except Mario Galaxy was is STILL a great game. Also there was an added element into SMG to make it different from other platformers, and that's gravity. I love HL2, I desperately want them to make HL3 and release it already, but I'd gladly take Mario Galaxy and it's complete originality over HL2 any day of the week.

Yes Half Life 2 wasn't original and it definitely didn't introduce anything we use today compared to Super Mario Galaxy.

Half Life 2 made fans beg for a sequel. Super Mario Galaxy made a sequel fans didn't even know they needed.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A platformer without gravity is not much of a platformer at all.

...k.
Yes Half Life 2 wasn't original and it definitely didn't introduce anything we use today compared to Super Mario Galaxy.

Half Life 2 made fans beg for a sequel. Super Mario Galaxy made a sequel fans didn't even know they needed.

Except this isn't about the sequels. It's about the originals.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nitpicky, much? You know what he meant.

And I was pointing out, at least in part, that calling Mario Galaxy "completely original" (while at the same time dismissing HL2 as just another FPS) is pretty damn hyperbolic.

The game plays with gravity in cool, interesting ways, but it's still only playing with something that's already been long established - that's neat, yes, but revolutionary? Hardly.

Please note, and I cannot stress this enough, SMG is still a good game, a great game in fact. A game-changing revelation for the medium, though? Eh, not quite.

D

Deleted_171835

Maybe that had something to do with the fact that the Half Life saga had a story. And that Half Life 2: Episode 2 ended on a cliffhanger.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...k.

Except this isn't about the sequels. It's about the originals.

I'm just saying that there's a reason the hype for Half Life 3 is so large.

Also Half Life 2 launched the greatest innovation in gaming in the past fifteen years (Steam) and one of the biggest engines in years (Source) that introduced some of the greatest games ever made.

The game itself is still a FPS game I have not seen a parallel too. In terms of scope, story, variety, it's a groundbreaker.

SMG was a really solid platformer, probably the best 3D one (I'd probably say Spyro 3 was better but that's more of a personal thing), but it certainly wasn't as groundbreaking as Half Life 2.

Or we can all just agree Portal 2 was better than all of these.

Valwin

The Neautral Gamer
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i don't get why Half life 2 and wii sports is in the list they are pretty meh

but yea Mario galaxy no been there is very strange

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm more surprised Wind Wanker is on that list, no one liked it and then it became another hipster game like Luigi's Mansion and Super Mario Sunshine.

Actually every first party for the Gamecube except for like Melee was shunned and then suddenly became an "underappreciated classic" a few years later.

EDIT: Even at that if they wanted a Nintendo game Super Mario Galaxy would probably be the most worthy of the decade. Not Wind Wanker.

Reactions: AceWarhead

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not that Nintendo sucks, I love SMG, but it's not Half Life 2.
Humorless much? He was making a joke.

At least I think he was. :P

Anyway, it between Zelda and Arkham City(Basing it off the first game) from only a quick look.
EDIT: Even at that if they wanted a Nintendo game Super Mario Galaxy (2) would probably be the most worthy of the decade. Not Wind Wanker.
I think may have to agree.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm just saying that there's a reason the hype for Half Life 3 is so large.
Well that's because there's a story that has to be told. That's like the Halo series ending off at Halo 2. Or Mass Effect ending off at 2.

SMG was a really solid platformer, probably the best 3D one (I'd probably say Spyro 3 was better but that's more of a personal thing), but it certainly wasn't as groundbreaking as Half Life 2.
Maybe not as ground breaking, but still pretty big and it was a huge breath of fresh air which to some, is just as important.

Or we can all just agree Portal 2 was better than all of these.

Done. That should be on there no matter what. Take off Wii Sports, or hell take off Portal 1. Because even though Portal 2 was a sequel, it still felt like it was entirely new and not something we played before.

Reactions: TripleSMoon
D

Deleted_171835

I'm more surprised Wind Wanker is on that list, no one liked it and then it became another hipster game like Luigi's Mansion and Super Mario Sunshine.

Actually every first party for the Gamecube except for like Melee was shunned and then suddenly became an "underappreciated classic" a few years later.

EDIT: Even at that if they wanted a Nintendo game Super Mario Galaxy would probably be the most worthy of the decade. Not Wind Wanker.
tumblr_mdum01IUqi1r57yezo1_500.gif

Wind Waker didn't get stellar reviews when it came out and definitely doesn't have a 96 Metacritic score. Super Mario Sunshine definitely does not have great reviews and Luigi's Mansion was most definitely not praised for its visuals or gameplay.

Don't even get me started on Metroid Prime which everyone absolutely hated which is why it clearly doesn't have a Metacritic score of 97 and the sequel was clearly universally panned by the critics. And ugh, Twilight Princess was clearly considered to be utter rubbish by critics too.

You're absolutely correct Guild. Uh huh.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tumblr_mdum01IUqi1r57yezo1_500.gif

Wind Waker got stellar reviews when it came out and definitely doesn't have a 96 Metacritic score. Super Mario Sunshine definitely did not get great reviews and Luigi's Mansion was most definitely not praised for its visuals or gameplay.

Don't even get me started on Metroid Prime which everyone absolutely hated which is why it clearly doesn't have a Metacritic score of 97 and don't even get me started on how the sequel was universally panned by the critics. And ugh, Twilight Princess was clearly considered to be utter rubbish by critics too.

You're absolutely correct Guild. Uh huh.

That solid 78 Metascore is a true testament.

I'm just saying Wind Waker was generally loathed by fans upon release and like tons of the "black sheep" Gamecube games suddenly became popular.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: :(