Homebrew RELEASE VBA-next for Switch(works 4.1)

Bedel

The key of the blade
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
two bugs in file browser:
Crash emu : names with tilde (!¿ñ´)
and
Last game name appears blurred
This seems an encoding error. Should be fixed if they start using something like UTF-8. It's also funny when you use some letters like the ñ. I recently had this same problem with my PHP api.

Edit: also, someone asked before but, does someone know if it works with dock?

Last edited by Bedel,

jakibaki

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Only integer scaling is currently supported, because it's the easiest to implement. I might add bilinear filtering in the future, but currently I have no plans to implement it

You could add
gfxConfigureResolution(853,480);
in front of your while(mainAppletLoop()) in order to get full-screen with hardware-accelerated-scaling (aka setting the screen-res lower) but if you do add this please make it configurable, I like how clear the picture is now :)

D

Deletedmember448668

MVIMG_20180522_150432.jpg
Just tested VBA NEXT. Tried Golden Sun, and Fire Emblem. Both run amazing graphically. Sound is scratchy as previous testers have stated, native saves are finally working in Golden Sun!!! Loving the menus and being able to go in and save or load on the fly! Great work

Last edited by ,
Reactions: H1B1Esquire

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Wario Ware Inc. has a graphical glitch, in the last level on a certain(?) game - that then persists during all the games.
vAcrgLF.jpg

Will now test Golden Sun, Fire Emblem and Final Fantasy VI Advance on 3.0.0.

qJte83h.jpg

AqZKKvs.jpg

tOfEPEZ.jpg

9iLQlbU.jpg

Reactions: ValenValentine

catlover007

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
two bugs in file browser:
Crash emu : names with tilde (!¿ñ´)
and
Last game name appears blurred
There seem to be multiple problems related to the filebrowser, I'm going to address next.

@jakibaki If you have read the readme file you probably know that this isn't the first attempt on bringing a GBA emulator the Switch. I started with the port of 3DSGBA before gbdkGBA was released and everyday I would open Gbatemp in the fear that my work would be for nothing, because someone else had released a much better GBA emulator port. And now this has happened :lol:, es tut mir ehrlich leid(I'm sorry). Whatever, your PR seems good to me(I couldn't have done it better, seriously I'm a total noob to the internals of emulators).

I'm against using gfxConfigureResolution because the status messages couldn't be possible anymore. Also implementing other filters(although I'm not sure how well the Switch can handle them) would be much easier, when bilinear filtering is already implemented by hand.

The whole audio problem seems really strange to me, because for example the audio in Pokemon Emerald and some other games, where people said the audio was bad, run perfectly on my system. The only game where I had problems was Fire Emblem The Sacred Stones, but I fixed it now(for me atleast:D)!

If you experienced problems with the audio can you please try the build attached to this post?

Attachments

• vba-next.zip
    246.9 KB · Views: 1,740
Last edited by catlover007,

ownedlol

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If you experienced problems with the audio can you please try the build attached to this post?

Audio seems fixed for me in Mother 3. Fantastic work. I've tested Pokemon Ruby and FireRed as well and both seem to be running fantastic as well as having the audio fixed.

As for save files, they seem to be working extremely well if you just press X and close it again by pressing X as opposed to pressing the home button.

Fantastic work as always, catlover007! :P

SkyAeolus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There seem to be multiple problems related to the filebrowser, I'm going to address next.

@jakibaki If you have read the readme file you probably know that this isn't the first attempt on bringing a GBA emulator the Switch. I started with the port of 3DSGBA before gbdkGBA was released and everyday I would open Gbatemp in the fear that my work would be for nothing, because someone else had released a much better GBA emulator port. And now this has happened :lol:, es tut mir ehrlich leid(I'm sorry). Whatever, your PR seems good to me(I couldn't have done it better, seriously I'm a total noob to the internals of emulators).

I'm against using gfxConfigureResolution because the status messages couldn't be possible anymore. Also implementing other filters(although I'm not sure how well the Switch can handle them) would be much easier, when bilinear filtering is already implemented by hand.

The whole audio problem seems really strange to me, because for example the audio in Pokemon Emerald and some other games, where people said the audio was bad, run perfectly on my system. The only game where I had problems was Fire Emblem The Sacred Stones, but I fixed it now(for me atleast:D)!

From my testing this seems to have worked on the battle network games too!
I was skeptical about the x button and the menu, but in practice I actually love the convenience.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
No audio issues in Golden Sun, Fire Emblem or Final Fantasy VI Advance on v0.2 on a switch with firmware 3.0.0 -

Issues might be firmware related. Make sure you use release version 0.2 or later - and please state your firmware version if you have audio issues.

Final Fantasy VI has very minor sound stutters (battle theme), that can be fixed by setting frameskip to 1/3 (lowest setting), and its a fairly demanding GBA game (remembering to back when I've played it on PSP), that it runs practically fullspeed should mean that most other games should as well.

edit: Mother 3 needs a frameskip of 1/2 (more than FF6) to run perfectly. From my personal experience, this was the hardest game to get to run in fullspeed on a PSP I came across. :)

Minishcap runs full speed without frameskip btw. :)

edit2: Normal save games work as well btw. :) Yay! A perfect first release as far as I'm concerned. I even like the fast forward option. :) (L2)

Last edited by notimp,
D

Deletedmember448668

Wow sound is working 100% now! Amazing! TYYYYY

GhostlyCrowd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Latest NRO downloaded from here

For me the sound is about 99% perfect pokemon emerald for example sounds like its a little bit too high pitched/fast and i'm getting popping/clicking on metroid fusion

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
For me the sound is about 99% perfect pokemon emerald for example sounds like its a little bit too high pitched/fast and i'm getting popping/clicking on metroid fusion
Same exact impressions with the v0.2 release version on 3.0.0 (also had occasional crackles in Golden Sun, and some pitch issues - with the overall impression that sound in some games might even play a little fast even with no frame skip - but only when I'm very nitpicky. 99% perfect is a fairly good descriptor.. :) )

And again, with v0.2, FF6 needed 1/3 frameskip and Mother 3 needed 1/2 frame frameskip to get rid of micro sound stutters - bit those were very micro. :)

Last edited by notimp,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgCjp3-rF_Y