Valve says it will make games again, was jealous at Nintendo

valve.jpg

Valve is the company behind some of the industry's most iconic titles, bringing classics like Half-Life, Portal and Counter Strike to players all over the world. Over the years however, the company decided to switch its focus to Steam and more recently, Hardware, leaving many players wondering if there ever will be another game from them after DOTA 2. Gabe Newell, president and CEO of Valve, revealed at a presentation that his company is getting back into developing new games, starting with the DOTA 2-themed card game, Artifact.

"Artifact is the first of several games that are going to be coming from us. So that's sort of good news. Hooray! Valve's going to start shipping games again."

Artifact isn't the only game that Valve has in its pipeline, as at a 2017 Reddit AMA, Newell said that there is at least one new fully-fledged single player game in the works. In addition, three big VR games will also be coming from them. When asked about specifics, Newell replied:

"We aren't going to be talking about it today, but sort of the big thing, the new arrow we have in our quiver, really, is our ability to develop hardware and software simultaneously."

Newell described Valve's focus on Steam and hardware as an investment in the future, saying that Valve has always been jealous at companies like Nintendo who are experts at developing hardware and software.

"We've always been a little bit jealous of companies like Nintendo. When Miyamoto is sitting down and thinking about the next version of Zelda or Mario, he's thinking what is the controller going to look like, what sort of graphics and other capabilities. He can introduce new capabilities like motion input because he controls both of those things. And he can make the hardware look as good as possible because he's designing the software at the same time that's really going to take advantage of it. So that is something we've been jealous of, and that's something that you'll see us taking advantage of subsequently."

What do you think? Is there hope for a new Half-Life, maybe?

:arrow: Source

RattletraPM

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Or a reboot or prequel to either Portal or Half-Life. Or a spinoff/side story.
Making a direct sequel to Portal would be hard, but something with an alternate timeline or a prequel (especially a prequel) would suit me just fine. Half-Life doesn't interest me personally so I'm hoping it's Portal.
A Portal prequel would definitely be interesting. Afterall they already tried to make one and only a small part of it ended up in Portal 2 so if it's that, sign me up right now.

I like Half-Life too, so anything related to it would get my attention too. A prequel set in the Seven Hour War would make sense right now as Valve would hit two birds with one stone (give Half-Life fans something new to play and make them forget that abysmal "fully priced fangame/mod" Hunt Down the Freeman)

Or hey, let's not forget about F-Stop too. It looked like a neat concept that attracted quite a lot of attention when Valve revealed it in The Final Hours of Portal 2.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Three big games, half life 3, left 4 dead 3 and portal 3

Although I'm not too sure about portal, it felt finished, but I guess a VR portal could bring something new to the table

anhminh

Pirate since 2010
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Yeah, have to agree with Gabe, Nintendo does have a lots of control over the game they make. Most of reason why Nintendo games are so creative is because they can make their console as creative as they want. Unlike third party who have to figured out what kind of gameplay they can make with the console, Nintendo know exactly what they can do with their console which can push their creative to maximum.

geodeath

Trophies
XP
Country
So they are jealous of companies that make games and... "his company is getting back into developing new games, starting with the DOTA 2-themed card game, Artifact."

I mean, if your starting game in this all new Valve, is a CARD GAME, based on a done-to-death online multiplayer type of game and 3 VR games, then it is better if you do not release any more games at all.

Yeah, i saw the rest of the post claiming single player games etc, but starting with such a shit thing, you can't make it up. And we know better than to trust Valve until they show something.

It is like craving some unhealthy fast food after a long time of eating lean and ordering a bowl of broccoli.

Last edited by geodeath,

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can understand where they're coming from. I never thought about how difficult it would be to develop for a platform that's even changing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up