Using an ext. hard-drive for both Wii and WiiU?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Pilzkopf777, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Pilzkopf777
    OP

Pilzkopf777 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 10, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Hello there,

is it possible to use an external hard-drive for both the Wii and the WiiU?
    I currently have one 32 GB partition (for Gamecube) and one big NTFS partition (for Wii games) on my hard-drive which is used on my Wii (not vWii).
    Recently I played some more WiiU and had to realise that I'm out of storage on the console. Using an USB flash stick would not be a good idea so what about using the same hard-drive for the WiiU as well?
    Could I create a partition on my hard-drive for WiiU games/files/things only and swap it out when I wanted to play Wii games? Would this corrupt files or be unsafe in general?

2. olimar718

olimar718 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 5, 2017
    France
    No you can't.
    Sadly you need one hdd for vwii (that you can partition for gamecube and Wii games)and one for Wii u.
    It's because the Wii u use a proprietary file system.

TheVinAnator and Pilzkopf777 like this.
  3. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    The beta of Mocha supports using a FAT32 drive for WiiU mode (with significant limitations, most importantly not being able to actually install titles to such a disk)

Best option is buying a large SD and using a Vwii usb loader that supports games from SD (this too is somewhat inferior to a real hard drive)

olimar718 and Pilzkopf777 like this.
  4. Pilzkopf777
    OP

Pilzkopf777 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 10, 2016
    Gambia, The
    So would it work with a hard drive with multiple partitions - even if two of them are "designed" for use on the Wii?
    I understand that the WiiU uses a file system for data that cannot be read on a PC (or a Wii for that matter) but would that actually make any difference?
    Does the WiiU eat up the entire hard drive and is it impossible to simply select a single partition for the WiiU to use?

5. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    If you choose to use the official WFS format, yes: the WiiU's operating system doesn't even really use a standard partition table

If you choose the experimental Mocha FAT32 driver, it will use the first FAT32 partition for WiiU data (on which you can also store anything you want, including but not limited to Wii software)

Pilzkopf777 likes this.
  6. rusty shackleford

rusty shackleford Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 26, 2012
    United States
    You can use one partition for both your Wii games and WiiU games and heck even gamecube. I've been using the same hdd since i had my wii and been using it for vwii. It's formatted fat32 with 32kb clusters for the gc games. All i did was download the wiiu games, converted them to loadiine, and placed them in the correct folder on my hdd. Loadiine games are broken up into multiple files so you shouldnt run into the 4gb file limitation in fat32 filesystem. But i'm using the mocha release with fat32 support. Everything is working fine on my end. Mocha will not format your drive, but youll have to basically copy your sd card into the root of the hdd then mocha will boot from the hdd and the sd will not be used.

Pilzkopf777 likes this.
  7. Pilzkopf777
    OP

Pilzkopf777 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 10, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Earlier you said that it's impossible to install titles onto such a disk. Would it be possible to move titles that have already been installed to the system to the experimental drive? It would free up space on the system and allow me to launch them from the drive.

I purchased the games from the eShop. I used Loadiine before but it does not support online play.
    Would I only move the Mocha-related files onto the drive or everything (= also the Homebrew channel etc.?)

8. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    You're supposed to install what you want to a proprietary WFS-formatted disk, then copy the files to SD or PC (by connecting to the console that's running ftpiiu-everywhere, or an experimental Linux WFS driver I don't even really know how much it works), then copy all its contents (two folders, the important one is "usr") to the FAT32 disk

You will still need an SD card, at the very minimum for loading Mocha 0.3+ out of!
    The card will be disabled once the FAT32 USB driver loads (in fact the FAT32 driver is the one developed by Nintendo and normally used for the SD)

Pilzkopf777 likes this.
  9. olimar718

olimar718 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 5, 2017
    France
    I didn't knew about that experimental thing in mocha.
    Thank you the info, and sorry for the "misinformation" that i did.
    Even if what i said is kind of true in practice.

Ryccardo and Pilzkopf777 like this.