Hacking USB Mass Storage Support!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drejjmit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
FAT and FAT32 only supports files smaller than 4GB. So if we are going to run backups we need to get NTFS support.

jeffc313

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Drejjmit said:
FAT and FAT32 only supports files smaller than 4GB. So if we are going to run backups we need to get NTFS support.
or ext3/ext2 or many others

Sir VG

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
superrob said:
Sir VG said:
Or maybe we want to use the space for more VC games. You know, the ones that were purchased legally and we don't want to download 15 million times?
As long you cant run them directly from USB or SD its useless.

Considering that there's been talk of Nintendo and releasing something of this nature, it's certainly possible, though it would probably take a firmware update to do it. We'll have to see.

yaggermr1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Miles said:
Mooshywooshy said:
Im not sure I understand... will it read the usb device as SYSTEM memory? Or just another SD card.. in which case it wouldnt be that important o. O
How is it not important.
I see a number of ways in how this is an important step forward.
1) USB now usable by homebrew. It's just a matter of working with the new code until we can start supporting more than just USB drives. Think about using the 360 controller for emulators on the Wii or something.

2) For pirates this may lead to a USB HDD loader for games, much like USB Extreme on the PS2, but IIRC playing games off a USB hard drive is glitchy and buggy due to USB being slower.

3) This may also lead to a way for you to directly connect your PC to your Wii, which would be great for developers.

The statement about slower usb applies only to the ps2 because it's usb 1.0. The wii uses usb 2.0 and its definitely as fast or faster than its dvd drive.

Knolli

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
mass storage would be so great, cuz i'm running out of free space and copying vc games back and forth sucks ass... (it took 15 minutes to copy S&P onto my SD Card *sigh*)

dweirdo

Trophies
XP
Country
i found out that the source coe is not EXE , cause it appears with Out "Main".
so is it an elf code?

Miles

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yaggermr1 said:
The statement about slower usb applies only to the ps2 because it's usb 1.0. The wii uses usb 2.0 and its definitely as fast or faster than its dvd drive.

I already know.

malsuk

Trophies
XP
Country
I do hope that the USB mass storage support is included in the new homebrew channel that is being worked on at the moment this would be a dream come true.

betawind

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Time for my 2 cents.

Yes, this code is a huge step forward. While alot of people here seem to think "Well it can't load my VC games so its useless", you couldn't be more wrong. The code being developed is allowing homebrew code to access a mass storage device. This could eventually lead to a WAD loader that you can put your precious VC games on and load them directly, or you could just use emulators, most of which are already readily available.

Let me pose this question to all the VC happy kids out there. What would you rather have, 10 games on your Wii or a couple hundred that you play with an emulator? While this may not currently be available, theres no telling what will come out in a month, 2 months, 6 months or a year. Imagine the Homebrew Channel currently out there being able to load homebrew directly off a USB Mass Storage Device, using a newer version of that code. Imagine it loading a n64 emulator with all of your ROMs stored on the HDD? How is this not useful?

death69inc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey works for me no need to load isos from hd anyway
rather see media centers homebrew games etc
as far as the emus shrugs i can live without but good to see them getting better
ill be happy with fully injectable and moddable vc games as I dont play more than one or two at a time anyway (tickets/pics/banners/saves) of there own

great to see them getting further and further ahead on this

Mooshywooshy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah im not too big on having 293873576834 games at once since I never plan on playing most all of them, but I think people are just saying its useless to them as of right now since most people already have an SD card that can do the same stuff.

Clearly this is a huge thing and it will play a key role later on for sure.

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
You do know this could allow storing over 250GB+ of roms, video, photos, emulators, homebrew, etc. Rather than the Wii's microscopic (in comparion) internal memory or its 2GB limit for SD cards... Right?
happy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Laid at the party is fun unless you're in prison lol