• Views 7,179,283
  • Replies 29,366
  • Likes 48

mistrneb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a question about updating USB Loader GX manually, since I can no longer just update from the app apparently.

It's been about a year since I modded my Wii and I kind of drifted away from it for a good while, and now I am coming back to messing around with it and I was trying to figure out how to load Gamecube backups through USB. So it seems I need to update my USB Loader GX to the newest beta, but when I was first modding my wii I didn't really know much and followed some modding your wii for dummies tutorial and I chose the "Full Channel" option while installing Usb Loader GX.

Should I just do the "AHBRPROT.wad" method? Or should I try to uninstall USB Loader GX and then reinstall it so that it is in forwarder mode with the latest beta?

Also, if I am doing the AHBRPROT.wad method for updating, what download do I need so that it's updated to a proper new version? I see something called "USB Loader GX-Une-Fowarder_5_1", is that the proper download for the .Wad method?

Oh yeah, and I am not sure if my Cios are potentially out of date for a newer version, how would I be able to check and update to newer Cios?

mistrneb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hah, nevermind, I just took a big chance and decided to replace the .dol file anyways, and it worked.

I didn't know that the channel and the homebrew launcher version were two separate things, I was afraid I was going to break something.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
the "ahbprot.wad" you are talking is the forwarder?

the full channel can be deleted from your system menu (using your wad manager).
Then install the forwarder 5.1 (on Wii) or 5.1Fix (on vWii).
if you have both channel and forwarder, you won't be able to recognize them and might end launching the wrong one.

As for the version to install, everything from 3.0 is fine, it will ask you to update to the current latest revision directly from the loader.
if you want to copy the latest revision manually, you can find them all here : https://www.mediafire.com/folder/t2x95zd9rz3rc/USBLoaderGX

If you don't know which version to install between "249, 222, 250", choose 249.

After launching the loader, go to settings > Loader settings > Return to : select USBLoaderGX (or UNEO), so you can exit games directly back to the loader.

Acidflare

HomeBrew Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Cyan is the internal updater up and working with the latest revision again?
i'm still running 1234 Mastermod

Edit: I think the fat32 library you used is what was causing the text errors I now have a dual hard drive setup 750GB formatted as NTFS for Wii games and 160GB formatted to fat32 for GC ISO
When the fat32 partition is selected as the game/install partition it says 7r.41 out of 148.98 GB but it doesn't always happen, I could only get this to happen when using a cIOS as the boot IOS either 202 v6 Base 60/249 v10 Beta53-alt Base 56
Using the SD card Reload button however seems to fix the text issue or setting the boot IOS to 58

nikeymikey

This is now a Spiderman thread.........
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Loooooong time CFG user here, I did use GX originally but made the switch to CFG when fat32 support first came about. However since usb loaders have started to support Nintendont i havent really been happy with CFG anymore. It worls but it does not directly support the options in Nintendont....... SOOO i thought id try GX again and i must say i am impressed with what i have seen so far, i just have 1 little gripe with it.

When i tell it to download all missing covers it seems to start off ok, but then randomly freezes, the wii isnt crashed because i can still move the pointer and power down using the wiimote. Its totally random how far along the progress bar goes before it freezes ive got as high as 28% but alos as low as 4% before its frozen and i have to power down (the cancel button does nothing) and start again.

Im sure once i get all my covers downloaded all will be gravy but its frustrating having to keep restart.....

Acidflare

HomeBrew Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi Loooooong time CFG user here, I did use GX originally but made the switch to CFG when fat32 support first came about. However since usb loaders have started to support Nintendont i havent really been happy with CFG anymore. It worls but it does not directly support the options in Nintendont....... SOOO i thought id try GX again and i must say i am impressed with what i have seen so far, i just have 1 little gripe with it.

When i tell it to download all missing covers it seems to start off ok, but then randomly freezes, the wii isnt crashed because i can still move the pointer and power down using the wiimote. Its totally random how far along the progress bar goes before it freezes ive got as high as 28% but alos as low as 4% before its frozen and i have to power down (the cancel button does nothing) and start again.

Im sure once i get all my covers downloaded all will be gravy but its frustrating having to keep restart.....

Sounds like your trying to save images to the same device as the games are stored and you have too many games
I had this issue myself I solved it by saving all my settings and images besides themes to the sd card themes and games are stored on usb haven't had a cover issue in a long time
SD=Settings images cheat codes
USB=themes and games

nikeymikey

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sounds like your trying to save images to the same device as the games are stored and you have too many games
I had this issue myself I solved it by saving all my settings and images besides themes to the sd card themes and games are stored on usb haven't had a cover issue in a long time
SD=Settings images cheat codes
USB=themes and games

Hmm u may be right, i will check the settings now. Also which covers do i really not need can i get away with just the HQ or do i need all types?

nikeymikey

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Right all the paths in GX are set to save to SD so thats not the problem. I do have a lot of games although at the moment i am only trying to download the GC covers.....106 GC games = around 450 files to d/l!!!

nikeymikey

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Running that program now.... gonna be a while before its finished tho ;)

It does not download the custom banners tho.... Ill have to rely on GX doing that.

patito

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

after doing the "downgrade" to devkitpro i managed to almost compile the loader,but now i get this error:

linking ... boot.elf
c:/opt/devkitpro/devkitppc/bin/../lib/gcc/powerpc-eabi/4.6.3/../../../../powerpc-eabi/bin/ld.exe: cannot find
-lwupc

any hint about what im missing?

Thanks!

Well,i managed to fix it,there was a missing lib in the package,i got it from the repo and added it after compiling it.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't know why the cover download are freezing.
usually an issue with the drive, users are using flash drives instead of HDD. But you said the path was on SD, so it's maybe another problem.
Try to use IOS58 as loader's IOS instead of cIOS.

patito:
you need to build an additional library.

1. download latest libogc (1.8.12) and replace your current libogc folder with the new ones.
2. look on USBLoaderGX svn/branches/libs/wupc/ and download all the files
3. browse to that folder, and type "make" and "make install"

you can now build the loader.

Reactions: masterpad

Duncan Idaho

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Ok Cyan I have a question, I have on the settings for usb loader gx to use nintendont, and I have ocarina enabled, my question is, where does the boot loader takes it's file from, SD/codes? or SD/games/gameid/gameid.gct?

patito

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know why the cover download are freezing.
usually an issue with the drive, users are using flash drives instead of HDD. But you said the path was on SD, so it's maybe another problem.
Try to use IOS58 as loader's IOS instead of cIOS.

patito:
you need to build an additional library.

1. download latest libogc (1.8.12) and replace your current libogc folder with the new ones.
2. look on USBLoaderGX svn/branches/libs/wupc/ and download all the files
3. browse to that folder, and type "make" and "make install"

you can now build the loader.

Thanks Cyan, i did that last night and its compiling fine now,but now i have a problem with settings,they are not saving on exit,as a workaround i edited the default setings to be the ones i use.

My compilations shows as revision 0,is that why i can get the settings saving properly?

Thanks!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
yes, that's probably why, as the loader is deleting old version of the setting file by checking the revision used to create them. if you have revision 0, it's deleted at launch.

do you have another svn client on your computer (SlickSVN maybe)? it can conflict or interact with the loader's sources.
it shouldn't be hard to compile, checkout the svn, browse to the folder and type make clean, then make
"make clean" could fix the issue, else try to (re)install SlickSVN. it's a command line Svn client, and might be used to update the revision number before compiling.

Another fix could be:
check out a previous revision (1230 for example)
compile
check out the head revision (1240), make clean, make
it will force the compiler to update the revision number.

another solution:
create a file on the /source/ folder

svnrev.c
Code:
#define SVN_REV "1239"

const char *GetRev()
{
	return SVN_REV;
}
this file should be auto-generated at compile time.
Your compiler might have skipped it, that's why you are still at 0

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good deal. I love Sun chips. I also love Rye chips, and had to order some from Amazon cause can't find in stores much anymore.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fucking subways like that'll be $3
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is funny how they replaced the $5 foot long sub, with a 1" wide $5 foot long cookie or cinna stick, cheap asses
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They still have but it's like $10 cookies honestly not a bad deal for $5
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bidenomics
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, everything almost double nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    But I could go to Aldis and get a cookie pie for like $4
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or use your new cooking pan and make some, don't mind the Old leftover foods mixed in.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just eat plain flour around cops
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    thats Gluten abuse, they would shoot you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends on the color chart
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wheat flour has a lower chance at survival
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Isn't wheat flour the whitest of the white?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Rye would get shot at sight.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends
    img_5941-1.jpeg
    everyone mixing their flour now days
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's whole wheat, right? Because all purpose flour is also made from wheat.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm not a flour expert I just snort it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There also is black rice flour, and its really black colored
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Bruh that's gray.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's ancientboi color
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    You need to add some activated charcoal.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've seen some that are dark dark, my wifey uses it sometimes in her bs recipes
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/1Ic2tqw_AmM?si=JprHwElZWw_oO_ii