Hacking USB LOADER COVER IMAGES

xem1x

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
djtaz, after selecting" Zip and Prepare Download" for NTSC, the download page states:

"Wii Game Cover Listing Pal"

Just a tiny code problem.

hdhacker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MrFaust said:
hdhacker said:
I'd also recommend that you guys use a tool like PNGGauntlet to make the PNG files as small as possible.

I've ran 499 NTSC covers through this set to default settings and Intense Compression...
It saved 1528.36 KB
since these images are pretty small already, there isn't a whole lot of pixels to work with to do better optimization. But a good idea none the less. We use this tool over at the FoF Fan Forum for our skins, course that was until we figured out that python could actually display jpgs as long as the file extension was changed to .png
smile.gif

It's too bad we couldn't use this trick on here, because then a 36mb set of covers would go down to 9.5mb

As for an editor, checkout the Gimpshop hack of Gimp. It's free only about 10mb and can do TONS of stuff. It can even use photoshop plugins if cofigured correctly.

The fact that the images are low resolution allows us to perform a different kind lossy reduction than converting them to JPEG. The PNG files are 24-bit, so we can get a lot of savings by downgrading them to 8-bit.

Here is the Cooking Mama original (76.34kB)
rcce5g.png

Here it is converted to 8-bit using Web Image Guru (20.65 kB)
rcce5g8bit.png

A 73% reduction. Not bad, eh?

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
hdhacker said:
The fact that the images are low resolution allows us to perform a different kind lossy reduction than converting them to JPEG. The PNG files are 24-bit, so we can get a lot of savings by downgrading them to 8-bit.

Do they work when put into the wii at that size ?
Id convert every image on te site is they were that good at that size.

Faster downloads - handy for the auto downloads from WBFS Manager and some of the loader apps working on it - less bandwidth and even faster load times on the wii itself from the SD card.

hdhacker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
djtaz said:
Do they work when put into the wii at that size ?
Id convert every image on te site is they were that good at that size.

Faster downloads - handy for the auto downloads from WBFS Manager and some of the loader apps working on it - less bandwidth and even faster load times on the wii itself from the SD card.

I haven't had the chance to try it, but they're still valid PNG files. I'll give it a shot tonight, but I can't think of a reason why they wouldn't work.

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
xem1x said:
djtaz, after selecting" Zip and Prepare Download" for NTSC, the download page states:

"Wii Game Cover Listing Pal"

Just a tiny code problem.
should be fixed now i think :s
little coding issue was right - i hard coded the PAL bit but thats fixed now

haha - and no one has given out to me about the 'Macintossers' bit ... i was expecting abuse
tongue.gif

AgentX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
MrFaust said:
hdhacker said:
I'd also recommend that you guys use a tool like PNGGauntlet to make the PNG files as small as possible.

I've ran 499 NTSC covers through this set to default settings and Intense Compression...
It saved 1528.36 KB
since these images are pretty small already, there isn't a whole lot of pixels to work with to do better optimization. But a good idea none the less. We use this tool over at the FoF Fan Forum for our skins, course that was until we figured out that python could actually display jpgs as long as the file extension was changed to .png
smile.gif

It's too bad we couldn't use this trick on here, because then a 36mb set of covers would go down to 9.5mb

As for an editor, checkout the Gimpshop hack of Gimp. It's free only about 10mb and can do TONS of stuff. It can even use photoshop plugins if cofigured correctly.
JPG would work if someone added libjpeg to the loader. Shouldn't be too hard.

dck

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With megabytes of cover images, it is not very efficient for people to download everything to sync up their copeis. Downloading everything every time is a waste of time and bandwidth. It would be great if the theotherzone site can return a list of images with their check-sums (preferrably md5 or sha1). Then it is very easy for tools to check for updated files and only download new or updated covers. Something like ...

RY2J41.png SHA1:f55a42176afda3d568678d39f784366883835326
RE4J08.png SHA1:9067c27ab6ea651d20b0b017bf378196f404f475

is sufficient to improve the efficiency.

It is not that difficult to write a python or shell script to sync cover images this way.

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The WBFS tool linked from the site only downloads the images as required so it doesnt really need a checksum though i understand what your on about.
Quite a lot of people just tick the select all and download that anyway so i have limited the downloads because of that.

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have added a section now for people who believe they have better or correct region images for ones that are incorrect.
Just use the normal upload and if the image already exists you get different options.

They will have to be moderated , but there are a few mods looking at things now so it shouldnt take long.

Everyone has done a great job on getting all these images and correcting the wrong ones - well done everyone.

WiiMonkey said:
how can i ammend my mistake taz
Sent you a PM explaining.

dck

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
djtaz said:
The WBFS tool linked from the site only downloads the images as required so it doesnt really need a checksum though i understand what your on about.
Quite a lot of people just tick the select all and download that anyway so i have limited the downloads because of that.

Actually, everybody downloads all images already as the region list uses the full size images. You may notice that by the long time required for the lists to load. So if quite a lot of people just select everything, then all the images are loaded twice per visit.

I can resize the existing images for you as thumb-nails.

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
dck said:
djtaz said:

Actually, everybody downloads all images already as the region list uses the full size images. You may notice that by the long time required for the lists to load. So if quite a lot of people just select everything, then all the images are loaded twice per visit.

I can resize the existing images for you as thumb-nails.

Thanks , but PHP has an image resizer built into it with either GD or Imagemagik so i could use them to create thumbnails of the images.
Suppose i should do that to speed up loading times and make things faster for people.

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
hdhacker said:
rcce5g.png

rcce5g8bit.png

Just tried the 8-bit image and it wont load on the wii - pity , could have reduced image sizes and made things really fast.

MrFaust

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For our EU PAL friends, you might want to wait a little bit before downloading the full zip of PAL images. There are TONS of wrong region covers in that section. I am in the process of changing them out for the correct covers. If displaying the wrong region covers (with the wrong game rating system) isn't a worry for you, then no need to wait. I can't tell you how fast this process with go since I can only do this in my spare time, but I am on the case, as it were
smile.gif

I'm not too sure we have anyone from regions that have other gameids such as Canada, Korea, Australia, Italy, Germany and any other. It would be nice to get some verification of gameid's per region since we have duplicates in the PAL and NTSC-U collections. I know that the AU covers are slightly different since they have their own game rating system on the covers.

xem1x

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MrFaust said:
For our EU PAL friends, you might want to wait a little bit before downloading the full zip of PAL images. There are TONS of wrong region covers in that section. I am in the process of changing them out for the correct covers. If displaying the wrong region covers (with the wrong game rating system) isn't a worry for you, then no need to wait. I can't tell you how fast this process with go since I can only do this in my spare time, but I am on the case, as it were
smile.gif

I'm not too sure we have anyone from regions that have other gameids such as Canada, Korea, Australia, Italy, Germany and any other. It would be nice to get some verification of gameid's per region since we have duplicates in the PAL and NTSC-U collections. I know that the AU covers are slightly different since they have their own game rating system on the covers.

http://wiird.l0nk.org/gamelist/gamelist.txt
**Not complete, but its a good start.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, @K3Nv2 https://youtu.be/_b_WmfLhnMM?si=1GZF2ULEvDAH418O +1