1. ForgotWhoIam

ForgotWhoIam GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I thought there was a law in Japan that companies outside of Japan couldn't buy companies in Japan, in regards to Sega.

2. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Malwarebytes Bootable Developer
    Developer

United States
    Minecraft is the only thing they haven't managed to fuck up, besides selling skins and mods that are otherwise free for Java users. :rolleyes:

3. SS4

SS4 GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Hmm, a huge company getting even larger . . . there is no way this could be bad for consumers right :P

4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    They allowed online pass (to play online in a second hand game you got to pay extra courtesy of a code in the box).
    They have continued to not provide means to transfer downloaded games and DLC to friends and whatnot.
    They were the ones to trial the xbone always online DRM and annoying as anything second hand sales
    They were the ones to put chips in their controllers you could only get from them
    They were the ones to charge considerable money for putting out game updates (see I think it was Super Meat Boy or a similar platformer that worked out a way to encode bonus levels in scoreboard data as a workaround)
    They were the ones to charge for fully gated off online gaming in the broadband era
    They did HDCP (copy protection for footage) in games. Not as bad as some but still there. Whatever for video and all that but games?

I loved my 360 and all but to call MS pro consumer... there is a reason I had hacked ones.

This is why you hire an accountant or business negotiator. I don't know how it would work here but usually MS would peel off a few billion, stick it in an account there, set up totallynotmicrosoftindisguise-someJapaneseword company, buy it and run it like a puppet. Or they go in and get the Japanese companies to sell off the IP and rent out the workers so own in all but name, or get the Japanese company to relocate to Korea (some of Korea's biggest players, which means some of the world's biggest players, were once Japanese).

5. mightymuffy

mightymuffy fatbaldpieeater

United Kingdom
    Guess we'll find out the Sega bit soon enough... The whole can't buy Japanese companies thing is kind of untrue - it's more difficult is all, usually revolving around acquiring shares (I suspect you've heard the words 'hostile takeover', that's a shares-related method that can be easily sorted on the Japanese end - MS could for instance try to buy up all Nintendo's shares - Nintendo would simply buy their own up, and be given priority to do so, so that rarely works in Japan. Unless there's an agreement of course) ....but I don't think that's happening anyway, I reckon a partnership, at most: Sega sticks their name on the Series S and X and sells them in Japan, funded from MS.. PS5 might have a tough time in Japan simply due to the size of the fukkin thing, and that's where interest in a Sega branded Series S may become a thing. Don't see the Switch getting worried about it, but it might do well, and if it still bombs, then I suspect MS have told them they'll take the hit (done it 3 times already, 4th for good luck? :lol:)

Or simply a deal to have all of Sega/Atlus games appearing on Game Pass at launch: again, like Bethesda/ID, that's a good call for the PC games market, with Sega owning stuff like Total War, but I still think MS wants a way into the Japanese market, most likely for Game Pass: it's not gonna appear on PS5 anytime soon, and I'm not convinced Nintendo will have it on Switch either, so yeah, bring the Sega branded consoles back and see if that works..

6. Pickle_Rick

Pickle_Rick I'm a pickle Morty!

United States
    The Xbox BC team are coming back after the X|S launch. So they'll be adding more games to the BC list soon. They'll also add more enhancements like increased LoDs and resolution as well.

7. Pickle_Rick

Pickle_Rick I'm a pickle Morty!

United States
    It's almost like they're a completely different company now compared to then.
    • Nobody allows you to transfer digital content. What a weird thing to blame on Microsoft. (Actually a lot of your points are like that.)
    • They allow XB1 accessories on the Series X|S. So you can use your old controllers and remotes on the new system.
    • The always online DRM was backtracked so hard they fired the guy who suggested it.
    • They don't charge devs to push updates anymore.
    • They allow you to play your BC (for three generations on the new systems) games at no extra cost if you already own them with enhancements.
    • They pioneered and popularized online gaming on console.
    • Sony does HDCP in games as well.
    • In an age where games are getting more expensive, Microsoft is offering a hell of a deal with Gamepass. $10 for 300 good games plus EA play and Zenimax are being added soon. Or $15 for Gamepass for Xbox and PC plus Gold.
    • Xbox all access is $25/$35 a month (two years then you own it) for an X|S plus Gamepass and it comes out cheaper than buying them outright.
    • Pretty much all of MS's DLC and upgrades are free now.
    (Also to everyone saying "but Rare", they were on a downwards trend way before MS bought them. Anyone remember Starfox Adventures?)

Last edited by Pickle_Rick, Sep 28, 2020
  8. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    I will always bring up the lack of transfer of downloadable games as a) blocking it might well be illegal in various places (various courts in the EU have said you have to allow it), and b) it is a thing to bring up and keep those aware of as it is not a right to sign away freely, not to mention have you seen the downsides of it (you might have noted a release/new pressing of a game but never its not being manufactured any more, compare instead delisting).

So they allow some of their old accessories on their newer devices? Whoo. The point was they started to include ID chips in their controllers so only those that they blessed or those that bought and cannibalised a controller could make accessories. Compare this to older devices where third party options were usually crap but still widely available.

Good for them. That it made it that far as to have a nicely polished video and widespread speaks to a rather great failure in understanding of the market.

Good for them again. I will still note it.

Pioneered online gaming? Ignoring the efforts going back to the 16 bit days then Dreamcast probably wins that honor. Also PC gaming had been a thing for years and years by this point, generally a solved issue too (users running their own servers and LAN games mean we can eventually stop hosting our own and nobody will mind much... shocking, also available from ID way before the xbox was a twinkle in MS' eye). Them pressing recompile on also a PC hardware (the original xbox being basically a PC but with some legacy hardware lopped off and custom shaped USB ports) that is essentially identical to all others it is playing against is also hardly pioneering or massive issues to solve. So they solved no great problems and got people to pay money for something that is free elsewhere, whilst introducing other very obvious problems. Magnificent act of consumer trickery but nothing to applaud from the perspective of a gamer.

So Sony are also cunts. Does not absolve MS of any wrongdoing in this regard.

Games are not getting more expensive. Devs are choosing to spend more and charge more. Gamepass does seem like a good marketing deal. The idea of a library/rental pass has been floated for years and years though. Somewhat surprised to see MS pick it up and be the one to really run with it.

9. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Legend

Portugal

how were they on a downward trend if the last 2 games they released before being bought were banjo tooie and conker bad fur day?

Also if star fox adventures was nintendo's doing, they forced rare to put starfox chracters in there because they wanted a starfox launch game for the gamecube, and even then how is this a bad game? its a decent game just look at the scores https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Fox_Adventures#Reception
    while its no banjo kazzoie or goldeneye is still a damn solid game release, if every studios worst game came out as starfox adventures did it would be a miracle lol specially in the midst of getting low on cash and dealing with a buyout on the mid of game development...

Scott_pilgrim likes this.
  10. chrisrlink

chrisrlink Intel Pentium III Hamster inside

United States
    I kind of wonder if this means bethesda must halt development for ES 6 on ps5 better not choose and get both now guys and gals

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - acquisition, announces, Microsoft