[UPDATE] Microsoft announces acquisition of Bethesda

BethesdaXbox_HERO.jpg

In one of the most unexpected moves in the video games industry this year, Microsoft has announced the acquisition of ZeniMax Media, the parent company of Bethesda Softworks which is itself renowned for video game franchises such as The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Wolfenstein, DOOM and Dishonored. Microsoft reportedly paid $7.5 billion in order to acquire Zenimax Media, which makes this the biggest video game purchase in history.

"[This merger] allows us to make even better games going forward," Pete Hines, VP of PR & Marketing at Bethesda, wrote in a blog post today. "Microsoft is an incredible partner and offers access to resources that will make us a better publisher and developer. We believe that means better games for you to play."

Now that Obsidian and Bethesda are part of the same family, it raises the possibility of a sequel to Fall Out New Vegas. Interestingly, Bethesda planned to release two of its new games, Deathloop and Ghostwire: Tokyo, as timed exclusives on the PS5, rather than on the Xbox Series X/S.

In any case, are there any new games you'd like to see from this new acquisition?

UPDATE:

Speaking to Bloomberg, Phil Spencer said that the timed console exclusivity on Deathloop and Ghostwire: Tokyo will be maintained while future Bethesda titles will launch on Xbox, PC, and "other consoles on a case by case basis."

:arrow: SOURCE
:arrow: UPDATE SOURCE

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i will wait and see, all bethesda games were multiplat, if they go all exclusive its the same exact thing, and i like how he said in an article all games would be released on platforms that accept gamepass, like in hell would sony accept gamepass lol, they would gain a crappy % from a subscription and then loose millions on not selling their own games from the storefront or physicaly for themselves.
Well, let's never forget the big elephant in the room here: Minecraft. A huge game when Microsoft acquired it, yet they had it remain multiplatform, which it still is to this day. They could easily have pulled support from the Nintendo and Sony builds at any time, yet they don't seem to be interested in that at all.

Now I know not every big third party series that Microsoft has acquired will receive such treatment, but I think it's fair to say it's absolutely on the table, and some properties (like CoD for the reasons I mentioned earlier) makes more sense to receive that treatment than Minecraft even does, I mean it's not like if Minecraft went Xbox exclusive that some other direct competitor could step in and take the lion's share of the audience. Sure there are similar Minecraft styled games, but none of them are ever gonna come close to being a threat to the original.

(Also I could have swore this conversation started in the Activision acquisition thread, did it get moved to the Bethesda one for some reason?)

Last edited by MikaDubbz,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://youtu.be/ab8GtuPdrUQ +1