Microsoft claims Starfield will have the fewest bugs of any Bethesda release

Microsoft Game Studios head Matt Booty has tempted fate by claiming that Starfield will launch with fewer bugs than any other Bethesda game. Notably, he only says it will have fewer bugs, not necessarily that the bugs will be less severe, but it's still a bold claim for a studio that's become notorious for its extremely buggy games at launch.

"We have an awful lot of people internally playing it," said Booty on a Giant Bomb livestream (as spotted by VGC). "Working with Todd and the team, I see bug counts and just by the numbers, if it shipped today, this would have the fewest bugs that any game from Bethesda has ever shipped with."

However, this will be the first game released by Bethesda Game Studios since its acquisition by Microsoft in 2020. Phil Spencer, speaking on the same livestream, said that they pushed back Starfield's expected release date after the acquisition and have been prioritizing squashing bugs.

"Truth be told, when the acquisition closed, this game had a significantly earlier ship date than where we're actually launching it," Spencer said. "I think Matt said we have every QA person in our entire company playing Starfield right now, looking at bug counts, looking at the quality of where we are. The nice thing about what we showed today from my perspective is: that was the game. We've been playing the game for quite a while and that's the game."

With Starfield launching on September 6, 2023, Microsoft only has a few months left to finish squashing bugs if they want to make good on this promise.

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Still annoyed they're continuing to port bloody Skyrim to every new platform, without officially adding in the fanmade patches and stuff. Or doing that themselves (though fan patches would, by their very nature, be way more comprehensive than any in-house effort, especially in-house Bethesda).

That's not giving me much confidence Starfield will have minimal bugs and glitches; are they still using their decrepit old Creation engine for this? Instead of something more modern?

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Microsoft Game Studios head Matt Booty has tempted fate by claiming that Starfield will launch with fewer bugs than any other Bethesda game. Notably, he only says it will have fewer bugs, not necessarily that the bugs will be less severe, but it's still a bold claim for a studio that's become notorious for its extremely buggy games at launch.

"We have an awful lot of people internally playing it," said Booty on a Giant Bomb livestream (as spotted by VGC). "Working with Todd and the team, I see bug counts and just by the numbers, if it shipped today, this would have the fewest bugs that any game from Bethesda has ever shipped with."

However, this will be the first game released by Bethesda Game Studios since its acquisition by Microsoft in 2020. Phil Spencer, speaking on the same livestream, said that they pushed back Starfield's expected release date after the acquisition and have been prioritizing squashing bugs.

"Truth be told, when the acquisition closed, this game had a significantly earlier ship date than where we're actually launching it," Spencer said. "I think Matt said we have every QA person in our entire company playing Starfield right now, looking at bug counts, looking at the quality of where we are. The nice thing about what we showed today from my perspective is: that was the game. We've been playing the game for quite a while and that's the game."

With Starfield launching on September 6, 2023, Microsoft only has a few months left to finish squashing bugs if they want to make good on this promise.

Any software I release from here on shall have fewer bugs. ( Here I said it too, not that anyone is keeping count haha )

Ettino

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So, they basically just said "We will release an unfinished game and people will still day one buying it anyway. Becasue they're stupid and we love money" right?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
To be fair charitable and mostly knowing elder scrolls/skyrim and fallout bugs from challenge runs and silliness I could see this claim being a reasonable one, even more so if this is a spit and polish reskin of an existing codebase. There are styles of coding*, types of testing both automated and human driven that would fairly easily eliminate most things, as well as design considerations.

My bigger concern would be if that would spoil some of the fun, though easy enough to add most of that back in with mods.

*will skip the technical things and also lesson in "safe coding" but easy enough to clamp values to avoid overflows and excessive values, remove game breaking special items, clamp location rate of change values to avoid horse tilting, avoiding falling through the floor is more tricky to do to not also accidentally sequence break but still possible, hardcode AI paths/give them magic teleport to player upon exiting dungeon, do some kind of state machine in menus to avoid duplication (though this does make them more annoying to the end user), flags/unique ids on items to similarly avoid duplication, skew internal growth curves to dodge respawn/wait forever for stealth in tutorials, do better statefulness to avoid NPC inventory fun and games, hold more values in save data to avoid quicksave resets...
All this makes coding a bit more annoying, and these days a marginal increase in memory/save size and aside from the state machine menus does not impact the end user that much.

Now I don't expect this as most of their games seem to be "wouldn't it be cool" systems slapped together with less concern for cohesive fantasy world building and magic systems (from a gameplay perspective, actually tend to do half well with the lore) than random high school kid's creative writing efforts but it is within the realm of reason.

Sir Tortoise

Trophies
XP
Country
So basically it's gonna be buggy as hell, but they're trying to preemptively play it down by saying that the number of bugs (that they know of) will be fewer. They could have multiple severe bugs they know they can't fix before launch, but that's fine, because those are only single bugs each :)

nightstalker27nl

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
the modding community will fix it again for bethesda and bethesda will then steal mods and creations from the community and sell it on the creation club for 20 euro's worth of points without crediting the orginaly creator or compensating them

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol