1. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Malwarebytes Bootable Developer
    Developer

United States
    Well Doom 2016 plays fine, so I expect eternal will too with it's better engine.

Scott_pilgrim likes this.
  2. JuanMena

JuanMena Politically Incorrect ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mexico
    my iconic know...

Leems Segit ༼ つ ◕‿◕ ༽つ

StrayGuitarist and Deleted User like this.
  3. GbaNober

GbaNober GBAtemp Regular

so this is what Xbox talking about in the past buying big companies/developers to add to their workforce

Last edited by GbaNober, Sep 22, 2020
  4. gregory-samba

gregory-samba GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Good for Microsoft! Their Xbox One console had no games I wanted to play and it looks like after a quick glance at what games ZeniMax publishes the Xbox X won't either. The Xbox One really suffered from lack of exclusives which is why I never bought one. Possibly if ZeniMax releases something worthy of playing I'll get a Xbox X down the road.

StrayGuitarist likes this.
  5. ForgotWhoIam

ForgotWhoIam GBAtemp Fan

United States
    If Microsoft made this acquisition to make a "profit" yes they should keep Bethesda games on PS5. But if I'm them I would pull them and make them exclusive to Xbox/PC immediately. I would be thinking big picture not small profit (not sure how much profit they will make off paying 7.5 billion anyway).

I'm someone who plans to buy a PS5 and not a Xbox Series X, if they're still on PS5 this means nothing to me. But if suddenly they're only on Series X, then I start thinking about buying one.

6. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    maybe if they dumb down the quality to as low as possible it might.

7. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Legend

Portugal
    i think it will take them decades to make a profit on that pay off imo.

i supose they maight make them code or help code some of their games which is also money in the bank, but yeah even 2 generations of consoles wont make bethesda ips make any money for them to still pay for the 7.5 billions lol

8. mightymuffy

mightymuffy fatbaldpieeater

United Kingdom
    2 words lads, and I'm repeating myself in the thread here: Game Pass.
    How many people are on that already, at $15 per month? A while ago it was 5 million ...it won't have gone down since then will it... $15 x 5 million. Per month. That's revenue of nearly $1 billion per year. Now, get The Elder Scrolls VI releasing on the PC, never mind consoles, and PC gamers can get it day one if they subscribe, on top of all the rest on there - well a conservative guess would be a subscriber base more like 20 million. That's $300m, per month.... Why do you think Netflix is so massive now..? ;)
    They literally can't lose can they... they could even release the big stuff like Elder Scrolls 6 on PS5, make some dosh there, carry on being the good guys in people's eyes, and even the biggest Sony fanboy would still be thinking 'but I could get this, plus everything else they've made, for $15 per month' rather than shelling out $70 for the PS5 version of that one game. It's a win win for MS either way.

splymb likes this.
  9. ForgotWhoIam

ForgotWhoIam GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Not sure if Sony would go along with it but why not put GamePass on PS5? Then they'd make double or even more than that. If they're going to put Bethesda games on PS5 why not just put GamePass too. They clearly don't care that much about the Xbox itself they said they don't care if you buy it.

The more I think about it though it would probably be Sony that would say no. They have their own subscription.

Last edited by ForgotWhoIam, Sep 23, 2020
  10. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Legend

Portugal
    lol you for real? if sony allowed gamepass to come to ps5 then they would make no money on any games while microsoft would fill their pockets...

console money is not won by selling the hardware but by selling the software, and if there was a gamepass sony would not sell any software on their psn or even physical copys so that would make them go bankrupt very soon.

mightymuffy likes this.
  11. ForgotWhoIam

ForgotWhoIam GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Don't think you needed the condescending tone added to your post to make your point but you're right I probably didn't think it through. It was midnight here when I posted that and I had just got off work from evening shift. I mean I did add "sony probably would say no" so I don't even know if your post was necessary. But hopefully it gave you a level up in feeling good about yourself.

Last edited by ForgotWhoIam, Sep 23, 2020
  12. StrayGuitarist

StrayGuitarist A genuine feline disaster.

United States
    I will thoroughly disagree with that statement. Bethesda rarely makes 'good games', they usually make flawed games that are usually fixed by the community, or a sloppy fistful of patches, in my opinion..

But hey, Morrowind was a lot of fun. Could never get into Fallout 3, 4, nor New Vegas, and I hate Skyrim, but no matter what you think of the company, this is still pretty damn unexpected.

For the people who do like Bethesda, though.. I certainly hope this doesn't become like the Rareware situation where they try to produce games in the franchises that were popular before, completely fuck it up, blame the poor sales and reputation on "the fans just don't like it anymore" then relegate the entire company to programming dumb Kinect bullshit.

Last edited by StrayGuitarist, Sep 23, 2020 - Reason: Added the last paragraph.
    Bladexdsl likes this.
  13. mightymuffy

mightymuffy fatbaldpieeater

United Kingdom
    Don't forget Doom, Dishonored, etc... and I can't believe there's many of you on here comparing this to Rare! :lol: Get a grip, Rare was already dead by the time they bought them, Nintendo wanted to get rid (for good reason) and the massively over inflated purchase price of Rare was just a sweetener - we all know MS wanted Nintendo themselves, they've said many times there's a direct line to them should they contact, and any money they want..
    Obsidian, Ninja Theory and Playground Games haven't disappeared have they ;)

14. StrayGuitarist

StrayGuitarist A genuine feline disaster.

United States
    All very good points. Doom 2016 was a lot of fun, but I never played Eternal. Yeah, I'm not genuinely worried it'd happen as much as I'm just bringing the possibility into relevance. Either way, I'm just surprised at how little has been done with Rare's IPs to this day. It's kinda strange to me they didn't capitalize on the big N64 nostalgia boom a few years back more than that compilation.

mightymuffy likes this.
  15. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Legend

Portugal
    noone of them still has made any game while under full control from microsoft, they just finished the current already in line projects, only in the next couple of years is that we will see how they manage.

Also rare wasnt dead at all when they bought it... they just had releases conker and banjoo tooie lol.

they just needed cash because they were putting alot of development time on their games and were short on cash and im guessing wanted to hire more people for the next gen graphics and such.

once they were bought is when everything went downhill
    starfox adventures ws made with what they left to nintendo, so nintendo took it like it was slapped starfox on it and just released it since its better than loosing all that money invested.

they microsoft forbid-ed them from making gamecube games but they could make gba games,since xbox didnt had a handheld device so they turned into a gba factory making like 6 gba games in a row, obviously staff that worked on n64 full 3d games were probably not happy to be relegated to handheld games, this is when many people lkeft the company during the gba games developments.

Then they made their first console game on xbox grabbed by the ghollies without much of the old staff so that sucked and ended being a mediocre game, after that they were put on even worse projects from them on, like asked to remove curse words from conker remake and so on, not even nintendo the kid friendly company asked them to do that... i dont think microsoft ever recuperated the money they invested on them imo.

16. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Turns out I was potentially wrong earlier when I said there might not have been any word beforehand.

Apparently 2017 saw someone leak that Zenimax's owners were shopping them around a bit. This was years ago and occasionally you do such things to get an idea of players and prices to share with your investors (the lack of a stock price does make internal valuations a bit tricky) but it is not nothing.

There was also an update to the website covering some of the lead people that was noted on twitter by someone a few weeks back (might have to start actually running deltas on websites in the future for my sources).

Nothing particularly concrete as a mergers commission/FTC type report, leaked docs or similar but also not nothing.

Both were mentioned in a random video I was suggested (never heard of the guy before, though apparently popular with viewers of some other channels I watch according a mouseover) that covers a few other things

17. UltraSUPRA

UltraSUPRA No Hope, No Escape, No Mask

United States
    "The fans will port them anyway, so we don't care!"

18. 64bitmodels

64bitmodels GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Uhh
    Minecraft hasn't become shit though???

19. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Legend

Portugal
    afaik they had a deal where the game would always be multiplatform, in this case with xbox saying multi platform will be on a game by game case, just seems bethesda has no deal, they just wanted the 7.5 billions xD

20. 64bitmodels

64bitmodels GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    microsoft
    the most pro consumer company but the one with the shittiest games

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

simple, buy sony, boom instant win

Bladexdsl and Jayro like this.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - acquisition, announces, Microsoft