Undervolting Stability Question

SG854

Hail Mary
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
I’m trying to undervolt my laptop so I can get more battery life, a cooler system and more stable gaming.

How to I check to see if my computer remains stable after undervolting?

I’m using Throttle Stop

And I run the Time Spy Benchmark. Is this a good way to check if it remains stable? And how many times do I have to run it for how long?

Is there any advice you can give me for undervolting?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am not sold on the concept for a laptop, mainly as far more is likely to be gained tweaking the OS and settings there or buying a secondary/larger battery (possibly including an external generic charger if the fancy USB stuff of the modern world is a thing for this one), and most laptops that you would consider for such a task already aggressively manage power (even the utter junk will usually have such things) but do it if you want.

It will depend how you are undervolting -- if you are just undervolting for day to day use and leaving the high end it is harder than just 100% all threads until the temperature either equalises or it falls over as that will just stick it into high end modes and that is that. Most conventional tests care more about heat and power delivery than anything like that. You could force it into low voltage mode and see what goes I guess in that case, otherwise you are either concocting an aggressive but still normal test, doing some kind of instant load or having some fun figuring out instructions that might not otherwise make it in time, whether your RAM remains stable or whether the GPU does what it needs to if it is chilling in low voltage mode and gets some instructions to handle and does not have time to ramp up
If you are undervolting across the board and not leaving the high end then standard stress tests will do.

How many times and how long? Always the fun one for this sort of thing, and in this case I expect a battery will age faster than a power supply so you do have a more reasonable case to repeat in a few months. You can run it for long enough that any crash becomes "was it a cosmic ray?" but for the most part most problems should show themselves fairly quickly (possibly instantly, more likely within 5 minutes, half hour is good and if it makes it one or two hours then longer is not going to reveal much more.

As far as "more table gaming" goes then I would only expect that if the laptop normally gets too hot and causes things to crash, in which case I would probably spend more effort figuring out if there was something I could do there as far as making heat removal better.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    there is a plugin that display them on the wii u menu, pretty sure it is enabled by default
  • crafthp434 @ crafthp434:
    so like it doesnt exist
    yeah
    ?
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    it doesn't exist, at least not for aroma
    ohhhhh
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    on tiramisu you can access it by opening mii maker
    okay
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I don't have a wii u anymore to test it myself, but if homebrews are not visible on the wii u menu I think you can press L + R + minus to open the plugin menu, there should be an option called "homebrews on wii u menu" or something similar
    nope
    it is L+dpad down+ select
    but homebrew is appearing in the home menu btw
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    yes, now I remember it
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    then it is working, I also don't like that they did this but it is the only option you have if you are using aroma
    i just didint know the homebrew launcher didint exist in aroma
    thanks btw
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Im downloading fallout 3 goty edition
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm downloading more ram for my hamster pc
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    New hamster PC, with anal operation and BT connectivity!
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, How do I make enemies respawn on gdevelop after
    the player dies?
    Carrying a PC or phone is so old school!
    Squeeze your cheeks twice to answer calls!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty you can use a "spawner" function on any object.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or when your player dies, you can say in code, if enemy exists, do nothing, but if enemy does not exist, then create enemy at certain spot. (This would be a pain tho for lots of emeies)
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Easiest, simple way would be just restart scene, but player would restart from beginning.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, thx in advance
    +1
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, thx in advance +1