Feedback Does anyone else miss when game consoles were designed like chonky bricks?

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I really miss the days of the very VCR-like styled game consoles. They fit almost anywhere, and also usually come with the option to stand vertically as needed, while still remaining stable and not looking ugly as sin. But it seems those days are behind us, as all the newer consoles coming out are being marketed as vertical towers now, with laying sideways as an afterthought, along with the external designs being very weird, curvy, and overall not very useful.

Some of my favorites include the PS2 Phat and Slim, the Xbox One X, and the Wii with the add-on storage caddy. I actually own the storage caddy for the Wii, and find it significantly more useful than having the Wii by itself or standing upright. The storage section can hold your USB HDD/SSD inside, helping stealth the system.

Here's some example pics of what I'm talking about:

xbox-one-x.png PS2 Phat and Slim.jpg Wii with horizontal stand.png

...I can't be the only one that misses this... :unsure:

Latiodile

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
aren't the series X/S chonky bricks lol

also afaik consoles have always tried to be at least somewhat sleek and curvy, and cumbersome, the xbox 360 and ps3 had curved everywhere, the genesis didn't have a solid surface anywhere
the nes is the only one that instantly comes to mind when it comes to "chonky brick", and that's if i ignore the second revision exists

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The fat PS2 is the best looking console I ever had. It looked majestic standing up. It actually was outclassed by both its contemporary competitors, GameCube and OG Xbox, but not in the looks.

Reactions: CoolMe

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not necessarily "chunky" consoles...but I do miss being able to place my console inside of my entertainment system and it not sticking out (physically or design wise) from the rest of my set boxes. Of course, all of those DVD/sound system/audio/video boxes have since been replaced by the TV itself and a single console, so that's nice. But I do miss the overall aesthetic a bit.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I prefer it when consoles are stackable and can go vertical to maximise shelf space.

The Xbone is annoying in this regard, as it's so close to being able to do both but they made it do neither.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
The fat PS2 is the best looking console I ever had. It looked majestic standing up. It actually was outclassed by both its contemporary competitors, GameCube and OG Xbox, but not in the looks.
Excuse me. The GameCube is one of the most beautiful consoles ever designed.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People were making fun of the Xbox One vcr design, i had no issues with it apart from it being somewhat big (for an underpowered system), the Xbox One Slim and X look much better, and definitely better than the XSX tower design..
As for Sony, the PS2 fat was maybe my fav design, i mean whether it's set vertically or horizontally it's just looks majestic, simple rectangular design with no BS.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I prefer it when consoles are stackable and can go vertical to maximise shelf space.

The Xbone is annoying in this regard, as it's so close to being able to do both but they made it do neither.
That sounds like overheating issues waiting to happen lol.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Probably because the game cover looks like it's meant for little kids