[TUTORIAL] More-or-less Catch-All Tutorial

Discussion in '3DS - Tutorials' started by Sgt. Lulz, Dec 28, 2015.

?

Switch CFW tutorial to focus on ReiNAND?

Poll closed Jan 16, 2016.
  1. Switch to ReiNAND (Lighter footprint, seems to work better in most systems, native regionfree TBD)

6 vote(s)
    85.7%
  2. Keep using rxTools (Unstable, build Dropbox host goes down every other day, generally troublesome)

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
Dec 28, 2015
  1. Sgt. Lulz
    OP

Member Sgt. Lulz GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Note: This guide won't be actively maintained anymore due to superior alternatives cropping up. Everything in it should still be valid, but it's definitely not the best way of doing some things, and some things might not be clear and concise enough.

This guide only applies to 3DS system versions 4.0-10.3, and the CFW process only applies to system versions 4.0-9.2.
    The general roadmap is: Browserhax & Menuhax > emuNAND prep > CakesFW > Unlinking. The last sections of the guide are optional and deal with important homebrew and MultiNAND creation, respectively. Downgrading is only necessary for 9.3+ systems, and Upgrading is entirely optional.
    If a system firmware update has been released and you're on a firmware above 9.8 and below latest firmware, you need to set the blocker DNS before proceeding. You can read about this in the 'DNS Bypass' section of this guide.

BROWSERHAX:
    1. Download the Homebrew Starter Kit from https://smealum.github.io/ninjhax2/starter.zip
    2. Place the contents in the root of your SD card
    3. Visit http://yls8.mtheall.com/3dsbrowserhax_auto.php and follow the instructions. Sliderhax.php requires you to zoom in and tap the rightmost end of the slider, the rest are automatic.
    Repeat Step 3 as needed to open the Homebrew Menu.

MENUHAX (REQUIRES FIRMWARE VERSION ABOVE 9.0):
    1. Open the Homebrew Menu.
    2. Open the Menuhax_Manager app.
    3. Install.
    4. You're done.
    OPTIONAL: Hit 'Setup a built-in Home Menu 'Basic' color theme' to use a different theme with Menuhax.​
    To activate: Hold L while starting up your 3DS to open the Homebrew Menu.

CAUTION: Don't change your Home Menu theme after installing this, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. Doing so will uninstall Menuhax and render it unusable. You can, however, install custom themes by dropping body_LZ.bin and bgm.bcstm into the menuhax_manager folder and selecting Install custom theme.

DNS Bypass:

System Versions 9.9 and above force you to update to use the Browser, as it checks with Nintendo's servers if the console is on the latest firmware to prevent exploitation. 10.3 is the last fully exploitable firmware, but it's not the latest, and as such requires the DNS block.
    DON'T OPEN THE 3DS INTERNET BROWSER IF YOU'RE NOT ON THE LATEST FIRMWARE AND ARE ABOVE 9.8, YOU'LL RENDER IT COMPLETELY UNUSABLE. FOLLOW THE STEPS BELOW BEFORE YOU TRY TO DO SO.
    IF THE BROWSER NAGS YOU AFTER SETTING UP THE DNS, THAT MEANS YOU HAVEN'T USED THE BROWSER SINCE UPGRADING TO 9.9. Use a different entrypoint like Ninjhax, Smashhax or OoT3Dhax.
    N3DS USERS: IF YOU ENTER THE BROWSER REALLY QUICK UPON TURNING THE CONSOLE ON, YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO OUTRUN THE UPDATE NAG, BUT TRYING THE DNS FIRST IS STILL ADVISABLE.

To change your DNS settings to bypass this:
    1. Open System Settings.
    2. Go to Internet Settings > Connection Settings. Edit your main connection settings.
    3. Set Auto-Obtain DNS to 'No' and enter 107.211.140.065 under both DNS slots.
    4. Do this for all your other connections, if any.

DOWNGRADING/UPDATING:

FAIR WARNING: Even though this is mostly safe now, you're still advised to exercise caution, specially on N3DS systems.
    NOTE: DELETE 000400102002CA00.cia FROM THE PACKAGE IF YOUR CONSOLE IS A JAPANESE N3DS.
    Downgrading/Updating to 9.2

INSTALLING CUSTOM FIRMWARE:

Setting up CFW

IF YOU'RE EXPERIENCING PROBLEMS, REVIEW YOUR STEPS AND REDOWNLOAD THE REQUIRED FILES BECAUSE IT'S VERY LIKELY YOU DID SOMETHING WRONG

Unlinking NANDs
    The final touches to CFW
    Creating and using multiNANDs
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Last edited by Sgt. Lulz, Mar 20, 2016
    stewlink, hausa51, FrEEzeVT and 38 others like this.

2. Uziskull

Member Uziskull Picture may not be real

Portugal
    We really need to sticky a thread containing this info, so that no more of these keep popping up. It's somewhat annoying.

Salamencizer and PokeAcer like this.
  3. Pikasack

Member Pikasack What is a title

Canada
    One thing: I'm pretty sure there's a primary DNS and a secondary DNS...

Other than that, great guide!

4. Sgt. Lulz
    OP

United Kingdom
    Nice catch, and only a minute in. Edited.

5. MasterLel

Member MasterLel You have an error in your SQL syntax;

France
    Note: you don't have to be on 10.3 to use the latest o3ds browserhax, it also works on 10.2
    edit: by the way can we use the youtube app if we use the tubehax dns or it will redirect us?

Last edited by MasterLel, Dec 28, 2015
    PokeAcer likes this.
  6. Damon_girl

Member Damon_girl GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Since 10.3 is the current version, it won't matter if I update from 10.1 right? I know it's better to stay on lower firmware, but I want to access the eshop + a permanent way of having homebrew forever by installing ironfall.

7. MasterLel

France
    Well if you can wait a week more before updating to be sure that memchunks support 10.3, it's better... but if you need to update, do it

oh and, if you have a n3ds, then don't update

8. Sgt. Lulz
    OP

United Kingdom
    #1: Paraphrasing from Yellows8's Browserhax page at http://yls8.mtheall.com/3dsbrowserhax.php, sorry.
    #2: No, I guess I should've pointed that out. I'll edit that in.

My reccomendation would be not to, as there's a very specific exploit that has been said to only work on 10.1 and below. I'm fairly certain eShop spoofing is possible again with the latest Homebrew Launcher package. If it doesn't work out in testing, I suppose updating's the only way.

I'll be editing the guide to tell those lucky peoples still on 9.2 Firmware exactly what to do.

9. Damon_girl

United States
    Really? I read that eshop spoofing wasn't brought back. You can only download an old version of ironfall with the eshop app, but only on 10.3. But if you want to test it then go ahead. I could be wrong. :)

10. MasterLel

France
    10.2 is also supported

11. Damon_girl

United States
    Oh right lol. Sadly I'm on 10.1. I probably should have updated to 10.2 when I had the chance but I didn't want to lose themehax.

12. nero99

Member nero99 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Look into snshax. Aparrantly its let's you downgrade from 10.1 to 9.0-9.2 if you're on a o3ds. Do that, you can get home brew on your emunand and be able to access the eshop.

13. Goombi

Member Goombi Meme crypto = my crypto

France
    Sorry to ask on another thread but that one might get more attention:
    I can't get the 10.3 http://yls8.mtheall.com/browserhax_fright_tx3g.php to work, I get kicked back to Home Menu with the "An error occured" error message. Same problem on my brother N3DS 10.3.0-28E. Anyone with a New 3DS on latest firmware can detail the steps it followed?
    I cleaned the savedatas and Ironhax/Menuhax are booting fine so that's not the starter pack.
    I even hosted myself browserhax_fright_tx3g with no luck.

14. MasterLel

France
    I did it, and lost homebrew access for like 1 month or more, so...

PokeAcer likes this.
  15. Damon_girl

United States
    I thought that only worked on the N3DS!

16. adiktus

Member adiktus GBAtemp Regular

United States
    On 9.9, I sadly cannot download the old IronFall without updating.

17. nickerous

Newcomer nickerous Member

United States
    Can you get street passes from Hotspot if the tubehax DNS is in your connection settings? I would think so, since it is a different connection. I'm guessing the browser is not safe to open if you are at a hotspot? Would you get an update nag and/or unusable browser just by being in that hotspot?

18. Sgt. Lulz
    OP

United Kingdom
    Have you tried clearing cookies and cache?
    99% of the time, this is the culprit and a quick clear and retry will make it work.

19. Suwazo

Newcomer Suwazo Member

United Kingdom
    Seeing as SNS seems to be quite confidently a New 3DS only thing, I don't really see any reason why I should update my old 3DS to 10.3. That way I can get Browserhax back. And I really don't want to wait for a 10.4 to suddenly appear that fixes the stuff they've now made ridiculously public.

20. Goombi

Member Goombi Meme crypto = my crypto

France
    Unfortunately I tried it several times. That is really weird.