Trouble with Usb drive and Vista

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by boxcarnathan, Apr 16, 2009.

1. boxcarnathan
    OP

boxcarnathan Member

Newcomer
    Aug 30, 2007
    United States
    The problem i am having is with my computer(vista) not being able to tell that my usb loader formated HDD has any data on it, i know that everything i loaded on it works and was trying to use a WBFS manager to transfer all my backups to a new HDD,

When i Load a WBFS program, (i've tried a few) it doesn't see it as a drive on my pc

When i start disk managment it says i have a "BASIC" drive with totally free space, i try to change the drive letter(without formating) and it will not let me saying there is no drive space to create a drive partition

I was hoping to let it be as simple as just right clicking and changing the drive letter but no, I've been lurking for 3 days trying to save myself the hastle of re-backuping all my games PLEASE HELP!

thank you

2. DM357

DM357 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 25, 2008
    1. Which version of the USB loader, Most of the issues i had vanished after i upgraded, (and reformated unfortunatly).
    2. Is this a partition of a drive or a whole drive, how big etc.
    3. Can you still load games from it?

3. boxcarnathan
    OP

boxcarnathan Member

Newcomer
    Aug 30, 2007
    United States
    i started the format with the very first usb loader i just tried loading 1.4 and it loads just fine as well as the first, The drive manager says its basic and 111.4 gb is what it says is free for a 120 hhd but thats usual for all hard drives to not really have the free space it says it has.

no partitions no data on it aparently, guess i might have to bite the bullet

4. dinofan01

dinofan01 Misses the old days...

Jul 4, 2008
    United States
    Let me get this straight. You have a partitioned drive, all partition have letter assigned to it, and WBFS don't detect the drive at all?

5. steve-p

steve-p GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 13, 2009
    i'v seen this, it's a windows problem.
    i'v only seen it on xp with all the update crap installed.

are you running as "administrator" and not a regular user account?
    if you are then all i can say is upgrade to Linux or get yourself a Linux live cd.

6. ginkster

ginkster Member

Newcomer
    Aug 28, 2007
    Try turning off the user account control in control panel. I had same problem with vista and wbfs program not picking nothing up on my drive but it did once i turned uac off and rebooted pc.

7. boxcarnathan
    OP

boxcarnathan Member

Newcomer
    Aug 30, 2007
    United States
    @Dino

As far as vista sees the drive its only seen as "Basic" with free space being the whole drive itself, no letter, and one partition i guess seeing how the whole drive is free space.

@steve

Unfortunatly i don't have XP but i do have vista, as far as linux i am clueless but i will look into that but it may not be the fix i need.

@Ginkster

I was hoping this would be the fix but it wasn't turned on to begin with and so far no change, i even changed an account to just a regular user and no bueno. Sorry but still thank you

Thanks guys for all you input im just lost as to what the problem could be, i wish this drive was as nice as my ps2 HDD was to hookup to pc sadly

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice