I love me
OP
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Age only plays a part in preference when you're dealing with impatient children lacking in an attention span. Casablanca is a fantastic movie. If 1979 is your cut-off...you have my pity.

Actually my cutoff is 1990 but i do make exceptions for Chuck Norris movies or other Delta Force type of films.
Great stuff. One guy goes into another country, kills everyone, saves his friends and comes back for dinner.

Now, regarding Apocalypse Now. It's a boring movie from the begining because you know the plot.
Second, it's completely out of touch with this decade's issues or in-the-now. So that's why it was very popular during the Vietnam era for the 20-something year olds. Because it was current then.
A movie like Inception is timeless. Because it deals with dreams.
And the third problem is that it's almost comical watching it from today's perspective.
At the end the whole reason for locking up Michael Sheen was because the General showed him that government lied. See, that notion might have been shocking in 1979 but today what's shocking is Government telling the truth.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do have to say, having a "cut off" is just really dumb. Some movies age well, others don't.

Also I'd think you'd make exceptions for Star Wars, Jaws, Indiana Jones, The Godfather, and a whole other selection of fine movies.

I watch movies because they're good, not because of their date. I'm admittedly a modern film guy but some of my favorite movies are older than me or even my parents.

Engert

I love me
OP
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Also I'd think you'd make exceptions for Star Wars, Jaws, Indiana Jones, The Godfather, and a whole other selection of fine movies.

Yes all of those are great movies and it's because they deal with issues that are kind of "timeless".
Star Wars = some year in the future. Meaning the story matters not the time or relevant issues (and the breakthrough visual effects for the time)
Jaws = original and timeless movie. It deals with sharks and sharks are still relevant today.
Indiana Jones = Great story and action still relevant today.
Godfather = deals with people and organizations. Still relevant today.

But when a movie is made to emphasize the current issues of the decade, it may do well in inital release or in that decade but it will lose its meaning after 20 years or so.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But when a movie is made to emphasize the current issues of the decade, it may do well in inital release or in that decade but it will lose wits meaning after 20 years or so.

Is Saving Private Ryan an irrelevant movie because it's set during WWII? That doesn't even deal with issues of the decade, what a shit movie!

EDIT: And the horrors of war is relevant to any era.

hkz8000

Trophies
XP
Country
i recommend you watch the documentary on apocalypse now called 'heart of darkness'. there's a lot more to the plot of apocalypse now than you think. Do you like war movies in general?

Engert

I love me
OP
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Is Saving Private Ryan an irrelevant movie because it's set during WWII? That doesn't even deal with issues of the decade, what a shit movie!

That's a different movie. And i think you know the difference.
It deals more with action and with people. You know, how soldiers have each other's back. Kind of like Black Hawk Down. It's war it's gritty it's personal and that's what makes it a great movie.
But Apocalypse now, tries to throw conspiracy theories in your face and in the end is just ridiculous.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's a different movie. And i think you know the difference.
It deals more with action and with people. You know, how soldiers have each other's back. Kind of like Black Hawk Down. It's war it's gritty it's personal and that's what makes it a great movie.
But Apocalypse now, tries to throw conspiracy theories in your face and in the end is just ridiculous.

I admittedly have never seen Apocalypse Now but I'm guessing it's not as topical as you think. It's not a documentary, it's a story, and stories should be analyzed for what they are, not their era.

Plus Vietnam is an important thing to learn about and experience. I think a movie about it shouldn't be considered "dated" just because the topic concerns Vietnam. It's something everyone should learn about.

Engert

I love me
OP
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
i recommend you watch the documentary on apocalypse now called 'heart of darkness'. there's a lot more to the plot of apocalypse now than you think.

You know what? I will. I will see if i can find it somewhere. But a movie should be made for people who are not fans of a specific genre. It should give you an entertaining and gluing and guessing type of emotion not a generic action movie with a failed plot.
If there is more in Heart of Darkness and the director failed to get that in the movie than the director really sucks.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the director really sucks.

...You do realize the director is Francis Ford Coppola?

But a movie should be made for people who are not fans of a specific genre.

Lol this is the absolute wrongest thing I have read pertaining to film on this website.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

Engert

I love me
OP
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
I admittedly have never seen Apocalypse Now but I'm guessing it's not as topical as you think. It's not a documentary, it's a story, and stories should be analyzed for what they are, not their era.

Plus Vietnam is an important thing to learn about and experience. I think a movie about it shouldn't be considered "dated" just because the topic concerns Vietnam. It's something everyone should learn about.

It's the way that it was one. I don't believe that we should not learn about important events in our past. There's many ways to learn about them. The last option should be a movie.
But if you make a movie, then make a movie. If you make a documentary then make a documentary.
And if you make a movie make something original not something that's overdone before.
Apocalypse now, could have been a great action movie if they focused more on the stories of the people then on some cult that the general build. That's just ridiculous.

Engert

I love me
OP
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
...You do realize the director is Francis Ford Coppola?

Yes. And that's the reason i don't like this film. Because people say "Oh that's Francis Ford Coppola" movie must be great.
You know, no this movie really sucked and he went overbudged among other things for action scenes that didn't even look cool.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes. And that's the reason i don't like this film. Because people say "Oh that's Francis Ford Coppola" movie must be great.
You know, no this movie really sucked and he went overbudged among other things for action scenes that didn't even look cool.

Probably because Francis Ford Coppola made one of the greatest movies ever made (and to many, the greatest film ever made).

Also hating a movie because of a prestigious director is beyond hipster.

Apocalypse now, could have been a great action movie if they focused more on the stories of the people then on some cult that the general build. That's just ridiculous.

I'm assuming you have no idea what Heart of Darkness is and this is by far the funniest thing I have read all day.

Engert

I love me
OP
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Probably because Francis Ford Coppola made one of the greatest movies ever made (and to many, the greatest film ever made).

Also hating a movie because of a prestigious director is beyond hipster.

Instead of being a follower try to use your common sense and think objectively why this movie would be considered great in 2012.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Instead of being a follower try to use your common sense and think objectively why this movie would be considered great in 2012.

I do. Because it's well filmed and has a well developed story and characters.

I don't instantly love movies because of directors but to say you hate the movie because a famous director behind it completely discredits any opinion you have as a film buff.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually my cutoff is 1990 but i do make exceptions for Chuck Norris movies or other Delta Force type of films.
Great stuff. One guy goes into another country, kills everyone, saves his friends and comes back for dinner.

Now, regarding Apocalypse Now. It's a boring movie from the begining because you know the plot. The same can be said of any adaptation; that doesn't make the adaptation bad.
Second, it's completely out of touch with this decade's issues or in-the-now. So that's why it was very popular during the Vietnam era for the 20-something year olds. Because it was current then. Yes, because an exploration of the inner savagery and darkness that lurks within the nature of man is totally irrelevant now. I mean, it doesn't matter when or where a film takes place - the themes it addresses can still be timeless. Do you honestly need this explained to you?
A movie like Inception is timeless. Because it deals with dreams. I don't even...
And the third problem is that it's almost comical watching it from today's perspective. I...
At the end the whole reason for locking up Michael Sheen was because the General showed him that government lied. See, that notion might have been shocking in 1979 but today what's shocking is Government telling the truth. What.

5wwVL.gif

I mean... seriously?

Also, read a book.

Reactions: Castiel

Engert

I love me
OP
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
I like Coppola but this movie really sucked and that's being realistic not playing down the negativity.
Among other things:
1. Instead of focusing on war attrocities (to be relavant with the times 1979) don't go overcomplicated and plain dumb by creating cults.
2. If you throw a government twist don't make the dialogue so god-damn boring.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Citizen Kane
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
Cool Hand Luke
A Streetcar Named Desire
Casablanca
It's a Wonderful Life
Psycho
Vertigo
Rear Window
The Sting
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
The Graduate
Marathon Man
Serpico
Rebel Without a Cause
The Magnificent Seven
On the Waterfront
Bullitt
The Great Escape
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
For a Few Dollars More
Fistful of Dollars
High Plains Drifter
Pale Rider
North by Northwest
Charade
Raging Bull
Taxi Driver
2001: A Space Odyssey
Lawrence of Arabia.......

Jesus Christ...so many great movies you're too ignorant to enjoy...

Reactions: Gahars

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Instead of focusing on war attrocities (to be relavant with the times 1979) don't go overcomplicated and plain dumb by creating cults.
2. If you throw a government twist don't make the dialogue so god-damn boring.

Since you clearly don't understand the relevance of Heart of Darkness and the themes it entails I'm just going to say that, factually, you are wrong.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: