Android This is a long shot, but... how can I continue my game save?

GuyInDogSuit

Your friendly neighborhood guy in a dog suit.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.sniffglueworshipsatan.com
XP
Country
United States
One of the main games I want to finish is Dragon Quest III. I got really far into the game, but then my phone got stolen. Luckily I had a TB backup of a lot of my apps and games. Fast forward over a year and I've got the itch to finish the game, as well as a few others that only saved data locally on the device. However, I have no way to restore it to my current phone (a bootloader-locked Verizon Galaxy S8+ on Pie, which is unrootable). Is there a way I can restore or resume the game(s) on my current phone? I've tried Helium and DataSync, with no luck.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What are you playing on? I know that with something like MyOldBoy, all you have to do is put the save in the right folder. I had to swap around a few pokemon files on quest to get all 251 on Crystal.

Reactions: x65943

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Presuming you mean the play store version and the save is in the appdata, the easiest solution I can think of would be to find a rooted device to restore the TB backup to and then use Helium to backup and restore the game.

If you don't have access to a device which is rooted then you may have to use an emulator of some kind (maybe the ADK or something like bluestacks with a rooted mod).

GuyInDogSuit

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
What are you playing on? I know that with something like MyOldBoy, all you have to do is put the save in the right folder. I had to swap around a few pokemon files on quest to get all 251 on Crystal.

The actual Android game, from the Play Store, not emulated. Otherwise I'd just use the extracted files in a different emulator.

Presuming you mean the play store version and the save is in the appdata, the easiest solution I can think of would be to find a rooted device to restore the TB backup to and then use Helium to backup and restore the game.

If you don't have access to a device which is rooted then you may have to use an emulator of some kind (maybe the ADK or something like bluestacks with a rooted mod).

I don't, unfortunately. I looked into Bluestacks and Andy, though neither seem very reliable.

GuyInDogSuit

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Well, I tried and tried again, and no luck at all with Bluestacks. There's just no way to share files, only install APKs. No proxy between PC and guest OS whatsoever.

Andy is SUPPOSED to have a "shared" folder you can put files in and it will find them if you browse to /sdcard/shared, but nothing, absolutely nothing shows up. And I can't figure out why. All the searches I did point me to what I've BEEN doing, without success. I've even rebooted my PC, no dice.

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can use adb to transfer files into BlueStacks. Or you can use any of the large variety of free cloud storage sites out there. Or even host it on a web server temporarily. Multiple ways of getting files into bluestacks.

GuyInDogSuit

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Ended up trying BlueStacks, couldn't share files between host and guest OSes (no proxy for that between the two). BS Tweaker bypassed this limitation, but no matter what, USB debugging just couldn't be enabled, let alone a USB connection. Supposedly Andy has that capability, but despite everything I did, nothing showed up in the Shared folder in the file browsers. I ended up using the Google Drive feature in ES File Explorer to copy files between the two. But since Andy is almost exactly like an Android device (has the Settings and everything), developer mode was accessible, and USB debugging worked. After I installed all the needed apps and such, I was able to restore my TB backups, test them in-game, and back them up again using Helium, then restore on the phone. Took several hours, but in the end it was worth it.

Reactions: hurrz

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WUOq1dlZWxI?si=LBlEJwZfwtWShljP lol Denmark can't handle the spice