tfocosta

GBAtemp Z-Warrior
Trophies
Website
nooooooooooooooo.com
XP
Country
Canada
As an English and Portuguese (from Portugal) fluent speaker, I find the differences in both languages astounding! But the one that makes me more surprised is the fact that in Portuguese the objects have a gender and are stated as "male" and "female".

Examples:
  • a table (uma mesa) is female.
  • a pencil (um lápis) is male.
  • a console (uma consola) is female.
  • a controller (um comando) is male.
And so on...

In English, objects don't have gender and you just use "a" or "an" depending on its first letter.

I believe you can find similar language traits in Spanish, Italian and French. :)

Last edited by tfocosta,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was going to ponder gender in words in English in the earlier reply. There are a few (blonde vs blond being among the more notable, fiancé and fiancée for another), plus various job titles (waiter-waitress, actor-actress). Some are attempting to institute a change in these (odd for English as it is not typically a prescriptive language affair), and a lot of them are dubiously understood (I imagine you could get more thinking blond vs blonde might be an American vs UK thing a la color vs colour, honor vs honour, tire vs tyre, mayo vs what the fuck did you just serve me as this is most certainly not mayonnaise).
That said I am not sure what function it serves in other languages other than to basically be another aspect of spelling. To that end I will not particularly note the lack of such things.
Also English once did have such things but lost them, quite some time back actually compared to a lot of other things (see Great Vowel Shift, long s, þ aka thorn, u-v being the same thing, i-j being the same thing and several more)

If you want real fun with genders and language go have a look at Russian. You get a third one in that.

Reactions: tfocosta

tfocosta

GBAtemp Z-Warrior
Trophies
Website
nooooooooooooooo.com
XP
Country
Canada
I was going to ponder gender in words in English in the earlier reply. There are a few (blonde vs blond being among the more notable, fiancé and fiancée for another), plus various job titles (waiter-waitress, actor-actress). Some are attempting to institute a change in these (odd for English as it is not typically a prescriptive language affair), and a lot of them are dubiously understood (I imagine you could get more thinking blond vs blonde might be an American vs UK thing a la color vs colour, honor vs honour, tire vs tyre, mayo vs what the fuck did you just serve me as this is most certainly not mayonnaise).
That said I am not sure what function it serves in other languages other than to basically be another aspect of spelling. To that end I will not particularly note the lack of such things.
Also English once did have such things but lost them, quite some time back actually compared to a lot of other things (see Great Vowel Shift, long s, þ aka thorn, u-v being the same thing, i-j being the same thing and several more)

If you want real fun with genders and language go have a look at Russian. You get a third one in that.

I see what you mean. In my opinion, one of the best things about English is being a language easier to learn, mainly when compared to the Romance languages derived from Latin that I've mentioned on my previous comment. The fact that there's no gender for the objects keeps things simple. Another example is the verb conjugation, that I also find definitely easier. And although grammar is very similar in a way, there is stuff like the prepositions, that can be a pain in the neck sometimes, even for native speakers. :rofl:

Last edited by tfocosta,
D

Deleted User

My language is quite complex. One letter without accent (`) and it turns into a completely different meaning.

For instance:
Papá = Dad / Father
Papa= Potato

Mamá = Mom / Mother
Mama = To suck (vulgarly and often with sexual connotation)

Also, I really can't stand foreign people not using the letter Ñ in some words like:

Niño = Kid
Nino = ? (Often Italian name)

Año = Year
Ano = Anus

So, I've seen people typing: "Feliz Ano Nuevo"
And that's cringe worthy.

I also hate when people mistranslates spanish sentences and ends up with different contexts.

Now this isn't something I hate but rather love: How easy it is to give a double meaning to spanish words.
And how easy it is to make jokes with said words.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also... the english word Pies...

In english, Pies is equal to a tasty dessert.
In spanish... Pies means feet.

Everytime I read someone sayin': "I just ate some pies" I can't help but think about someone sucking toes.
Spanish in nutshell

tfocosta

GBAtemp Z-Warrior
Trophies
Website
nooooooooooooooo.com
XP
Country
Canada
Well yeah, both Spanish and Portuguese derivative from Romance Languages.

But just for curiosity, does Portuguese has regular (everyday use) with second meanings?

True! That's why they are so similar! :)

What do you mean by "regular with second meanings"? Give me an example in Spanish, please! It may make it easier for you to explain. :D

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
For instance:
Chile = Chilli
It's a word often used vulgarly as a reference to male genitalia.
"Man, this Chillii is too hot/big/small/long/wide"

Leche = Milk
It's often used to refer to an ejaculation.
"I just had the best milk"
"Chocolate? Or Vanilla?"

Picar = To Stab/ To add chilli to something
It's used to refer to a penetration
"This chillies sure is hot! Pica a lot"
"If you can't take it, don't worry, you'll get used to it"

In Mexico, double meaning is well embedded in our culture.
I swear a regular conversation will end up with jokes with sexual connotations using regular words.
We call this act: Alburear.

This example is about someone who's experienced Albureando and someone who isn't:
- Do you love Chile?
- Yes I do!
- *giggles* What do you do with it?
- I like to bite it.
- You bite chiles? Does it hurts when it enters your mouth?
- Sure it's hot! It's Spicy!
- How much did you ate?
- A lot!
- Sounds like you can take a lot of chile huh?
- Yeah! I love mexican food because of chile!
- Oh, so you love Mexican Chile?
- Yes!
- Does it hurt when it comes out? Or you're already used?
- I'm getting used to it. It's so spicy!
- You should drink milk after you eat a chile.
- Is milk good for getting rid of the spice?
- Not just that, my milk will make you grow.
- Oh, how sweet.
- Yes, milk is sweet, I'm glad you like it.

In Mexico, learning to identify and counter Albures is a basic survival technique.

Using the same words I will show you how to counter an Albur:

- Do you like Chile?
- (thinks for a moment) No, I've heard your sister does.
- :blink:

- Do you want to try my milk?
- Didn't you drank all of it earlier?
- :huh:

- Isn't it spicy?
- That's what yo momma said.
- :(

And the always classic:

what-is-obo-smell-like-obo-mexican-this-one-humiliation-qSt5O.jpg

The thing is that I've carried that part of my, quote on quote, "culturrrr" here on the temp, which is why some members say I'm Horny all the time.

Kids... I've been Albureando YOU all this time...

Last edited by JuanMena,
Reactions: tfocosta

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I never understood the point of so many homonyms, or the pointless accents (a/à, ou/où, etc), over elaborated verb tenses, or just how the language is heavily gendered with pronouns and adjectives/past participle verbs.

I think the most dumb is how much French sounds like a gayer version of English, which happens to refuse to die in North America, yet would be the one botchered the most by their own native speakers (including myself, however I do find the dialect charming by its archaic origin).

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I never understood the point of so many homonyms, or the pointless accents (a/à, ou/où, etc), over elaborated verb tenses, or just how the language is heavily gendered with pronouns and adjectives/past participle verbs.

I think the most dumb is how much French sounds like a gayer version of English, which happens to refuse to die in North America, yet would be the one botchered the most by their own native speakers (including myself, however I do find the dialect charming by its archaic origin).
Aren't accents used a a phonetic symbol of your words?
That's the case for spanish words with accents often used to even know how a word is written.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Aren't accents used a a phonetic symbol of your words?
That's the case for spanish words with accents often used to even know how a word is written.
Half of the accents are absolutely useless.

Only é and è actually do change the pronunciation. Everything else is just purely visual.

Examples like "a" (3rd person singular of to have) and "à" (at, belongs to, by, from) sounds exactly the same. It's "a", but it surely will cost you points on a written test when omitted or added on a "3rd person singular of to have".

And that was only 1 example.
So many words to mess with you, depending on its grammar in a given context.

Phonetically, however, there's like 2 of them that do indeed modify a pronounciation.
Nothing else. No emphasis on a syllable, no different intonation, only affect the letter it is on, and from what I've learned, only é and è (where ê, ë also sound identical) seem to really benefit from it.
Everything else is purely visual, but you have to learn that to pass a god forsaken French class, and that is also funny because there was a grammar reform that was being implemented for a decade now to simplify the overly complicated spelling, which I don't really see useful anymore since I've known the original way all my life.

Tldr: French is stupid, it refuses to die in Québec, and we're being ridiculed for it.
I find it amusing that those who make fun of French in Canada and USA couldn't even learn a second language.

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Half of the accents are absolutely useless.

Only é and è actually do change the pronunciation. Everything else is just purely visual.

Examples like "a" (3rd person singular of to have) and "à" (at, belongs to, by, from) sounds exactly the same. It's "a", but it surely will cost you points on a written test when omitted or added on a "3rd person singular of to have".

And that was only 1 example.
So many words to mess with you, depending on its grammar in a given context.

Phonetically, however, there's like 2 of them that do indeed modify a pronounciation.
Nothing else. No emphasis on a syllable, no different intonation, only affect the letter it is on, and from what I've learned, only é and è (where ê, ë also sound identical) seem to really benefit from it.
Everything else is purely visual, but you have to learn that to pass a god forsaken French class, and that is also funny because there was a grammar reform that was being implemented for a decade now to simplify the overly complicated spelling, which I don't really see useful anymore since I've known the original way all my life.

Tldr: French is stupid, it refuses to die in Québec, and we're being ridiculed for it.
I find it amusing that those who make fun of French in Canada and USA couldn't even learn a second language.
Girl you rock!

To everyone, we should have a thread where we exchange our languages (or helps others study a new language)

Last edited by JuanMena,
Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

tfocosta

GBAtemp Z-Warrior
Trophies
Website
nooooooooooooooo.com
XP
Country
Canada
For instance:
Chile = Chilli
It's a word often used vulgarly as a reference to male genitalia.
"Man, this Chillii is too hot/big/small/long/wide"

Leche = Milk
It's often used to refer to an ejaculation.
"I just had the best milk"
"Chocolate? Or Vanilla?"

Picar = To Stab/ To add chilli to something
It's used to refer to a penetration
"This chillies sure is hot! Pica a lot"
"If you can't take it, don't worry, you'll get used to it"

In Mexico, double meaning is well embedded in our culture.
I swear a regular conversation will end up with jokes with sexual connotations using regular words.
We call this act: Alburear.

This example is about someone who's experienced Albureando and someone who isn't:
- Do you love Chile?
- Yes I do!
- *giggles* What do you do with it?
- I like to bite it.
- You bite chiles? Does it hurts when it enters your mouth?
- Sure it's hot! It's Spicy!
- How much did you ate?
- A lot!
- Sounds like you can take a lot of chile huh?
- Yeah! I love mexican food because of chile!
- Oh, so you love Mexican Chile?
- Yes!
- Does it hurt when it comes out? Or you're already used?
- I'm getting used to it. It's so spicy!
- You should drink milk after you eat a chile.
- Is milk good for getting rid of the spice?
- Not just that, my milk will make you grow.
- Oh, how sweet.
- Yes, milk is sweet, I'm glad you like it.

In Mexico, learning to identify and counter Albures is a basic survival technique.

Using the same words I will show you how to counter an Albur:

- Do you like Chile?
- (thinks for a moment) No, I've heard your sister does.
- :blink:

- Do you want to try my milk?
- Didn't you drank all of it earlier?
- :huh:

- Isn't it spicy?
- That's what yo momma said.
- :(

And the always classic:

what-is-obo-smell-like-obo-mexican-this-one-humiliation-qSt5O.jpg

The thing is that I've carried that part of my, quote on quote, "culturrrr" here on the temp, which is why some members say I'm Horny all the time.

Kids... I've been Albureando YOU all this time...

Oh yeah, we do have expressions like those, with a dirty meaning. It's funny, as most of the languages have them. They may look innocent, but they have a "hidden" content in them. It's great for a good laugh! :rofl:

Thank you for sharing! :D

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I find it dumb when people use an online Gaelic dictionary or Google translate to get tattoo's in Gaelic. Let's look at some that went massively wrong and I will try to explain why it went so so wrong. And there will be some things I will point out that are dumb about my language as we go along.

This ex-U.S. paratrooper got a Scottish Gaelic tattoo to commemorate his multi-generational family tradition of airborne military service:

Here is the tatoo

20201123_163120.jpg

The tattoo was supposed to read “FAMILY TRADITION” but it’s a train wreck. This is what happens when you try to look up English words in a Gaelic dictionary and then string them together according to English grammar rules.

Beul-aithris means “oral tradition” and so perhaps this person thought that aithris just meant “tradition”, but aithris means “report,” “account,” “recitation,” or “narration.” For example, Aithris na Maidne (Morning Report) is the name of the BBC’s Gaelic morning radio news program.

Aithris na Maidne can mean “people,” “kindred,” or “folk,” but it’s not the usual Scottish Gaelic word for family (which is teaghlach). “Á” means “out of” and so it’s possible that they mistook this for “of” (which is de), while also omitting the srac over the “á.” Apart from the word being wrong, however, this grammatical construction (family tradition, that is, tradition of the family) would actually require the genitive case in Gaelic. The genitive case is a category that nouns fall into when they are used in expressions of possession, measure, or origin. In English we can use either a possessive form or “of” to indicate this relationship, for example: “Mary’s coat” or “the coat of Mary”; “a month’s vacation,” or “a month of vacation.” In Gaelic, nouns are modified in spelling and pronunciation when they are used in the genitive case. In the literal Gaelic translation of an English phrase like “family tradition,” in other words “tradition of the family,” the word for family (teaghlach) would be written in the genitive case (in this case teaghlaich).

Even “dualchas teaghlaich” sounds a bit odd however, because it’s redundant. Ironically, the word dualchas alone would have sufficed to convey the meaning he wanted.

So the way this tattoo reads to a Gaelic speaker is: “REPORT OUT OF THE PEOPLE (AND I DON’T KNOW GAELIC)”

Even when you think you know what your tattoo says, are you sure that the spelling and grammar are correct? This one was supposed to say “ALBA SAOR” — “FREE SCOTLAND” (where “free” is an adjective, not an imperative verb). Instead a spelling mistake transforms “saor” into “soar” — an easy mistake to make when neither you nor the tattoo artist knows Gaelic, and the English word “soar” is so close in spelling.

20201123_164415.jpg

The placement and spelling of the adjective “saor” (free) are also problems. Again, Gaelic is not like English. In regard to adjective placement, it’s more like French: most of the adjectives go after the noun, and a small number are placed before the noun. And like French, adjectives change when they modify feminine nouns. Saor goes after the noun, and it modifies Alba which is feminine, so it should be “Alba shaor.”

If “saor” is placed before the noun, it’s an imperative verb, an order to “Free!” or “Liberate!” as in, “Free Nelson Mandela.” But the imperative in Gaelic comes in two versions, singular and plural, and this is the singular — an order given to one person only, and someone familiar or lower in status at that.

So it’s a lovely sentiment, but to a Gaelic speaker this tattoo looks like it says something like “DUDE, LIBARETE SCOTLAND! (AND I DON’T KNOW GAELIC)”

How about this one? Celtic knotwork + Gaelic = seems legit.

20201123_164732.jpg

But it’s not, because grammar. Gaelic is a Celtic language and one unique feature of the Celtic languages is something called initial consonant mutation. In Scottish Gaelic, depending on certain grammatical features of a sentence, the way that you pronounce the first consonant of a noun will often change. In this case, the possessive “mo” (“my”) lenites the initial consonant of the noun it modifies. In the Scottish Gaelic writing system this is indicated by placing an “h” after the initial consonant. Mo + seanair = Mo sheanair. Mo + gràdh = Mo ghràdh. This changes the pronunciation of the word differently according to which sound is being lenited. (If the noun starts with a vowel, then it’s just m’ instead of mo. Mo + anam = M’anam.) A dictionary will not tell you these things.

Also, this tattoo text sounds a little weird, like the person’s grandfather is their lover.

What about this one? You can’t go wrong with “I Love You”, can you? Any reasonably diligent internet search can tell you that “I love you” = “Tha gaol agam ort” (literally ‘love is at me on you) in Gaelic. But:

20201123_164859.jpg

The artist accidentally used a capital “C” instead of a “T” — not a Gaelic mistake per se, just a common mistake in calligraphic font usage. But the result is hilariously bad Gaelic: the first word looks like “Cha” instead of “Tha”. “Cha” isn’t grammatical here, but it instantly puts Gaelic speakers in mind of “Chan eil“, as in “Chan eil gaol agam ort,” as in “I do not love you.”

So the way this tattoo reads to a Gaelic speaker is: “I Not Love You.”

Thank goodness it’s probably just Photoshopped, like the model’s abs.

Anyway, you get the picture. You might not want to rely on looking up individual words in a dictionary and stringing them together, and there’s no guarantee that Google translate will becorrect, either. There’s no guarantee that the Gaelic phrases you find in books, or on Pinterest, or even for sale on jewelry, are correct either.

Last edited by AmandaRose,
Reactions: VinsCool

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :blink: