What's your thoughts on death?

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
For some months now, every single night, just right before falling asleep, I start thinking (inevitably) that I'm going to die sometime later.
I don't know why I've started to feel anxious about death. It's a 180° turn for me.

I've always been estoic/agnostic about many things in life, and one of them was the fact of seizing existence. Am I using that word correctly?

Anyways... like I said, just right before falling asleep I can't help but think for couple minutes about it.
Thoughts like:
"What's even the point of being here?"
"Why should I make an effort if at the end...?"
"What if there's an afterlife? Will be spiritual? Conscience?"
"What if not?"
"If there's one, does that has an end too?"
"What if afterlife is bounded to existence of Earth? Will I stop existing "definitely" after our planet dies?"
And the most hard for me to try to understand:

"How must be like not existing, not feeling?"
"Am I ready to not feel anything?"

Even if we agreed that sleeping is a "free trial of being dead" let me admit that I've had many lucid dreams. So even then, I'm somewhat conscious and I know that I'll return to the real world.

But this hits different. I can't seem to find an answer to sooth this anxiety.
Quite pointless, I know, but still.
I'm getting old when I wasn't supposed to be old in the first place.
That's depressing.

Last edited by JuanMena,
Reactions: CoolMe

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn yo, this EoF post seems to have some real life things. I’d like to be funny, but I have had similar issues sleeping. Sometimes I’m really anxious, that I can’t keep still. I shuffle around, like a fish out of water, and it takes (sometimes) hours to fall asleep.

To address this, and soothe my anxiety, I’ll think about intricate things, like drawing a wiring diagram of my ebike (or electric scooter). Maybe I’ll listen to music and isolate all the instruments. I peel music apart like a union. I’ll even think about work and a tricky trouble that I fixed, or install I did. I’ll think of ways I could’ve identified the problem sooner, or another way to resolve the same issue. Perhaps even a better way to install something.

I know this might seem like avoiding the issue of having anxiety, but just know that you aren’t going to die.

I hope this helps.

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Damn yo, this EoF post seems to have some real life things. I’d like to be funny, but I have had similar issues sleeping. Sometimes I’m really anxious, that I can’t keep still. I shuffle around, like a fish out of water, and it takes (sometimes) hours to fall asleep.

To address this, and soothe my anxiety, I’ll think about intricate things, like drawing a wiring diagram of my ebike (or electric scooter). Maybe I’ll listen to music and isolate all the instruments. I peel music apart like a union. I’ll even think about work and a tricky trouble that I fixed, or install I did. I’ll think of ways I could’ve identified the problem sooner, or another way to resolve the same issue. Perhaps even a better way to install something.

I know this might seem like avoiding the issue of having anxiety, but just know that you aren’t going to die.

I hope this helps.
Thanks for sharing Slappy.

It seems I'm not alone with these thoughts.
I don't know why I suddenly realized mortality.

But again, most of the days I don't think about this, even when I'm depressed. It's just literally, minutes before falling asleep.
Maybe that's our way to free our minds from everything that happens during the day?
Like... our brains are like: "ok I don't have anything to worry about now so here's anxiety, enjoy".
Stupid ass brain, not helpful as always 🥴

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
My view on death in general, not taking into account IRL events and stuff?

When someone dies, they don't "go to a happier place" (much less "go to hell" for the sheer audacity of not believing in a certain deity); no, instead they're just not alive anymore. Like a device with the batteries removed, for some kind of analogy. They don't exist anymore; just their body, and what they leave behind (good and bad), such as other people's memories of them and mementos.

I don't see what's so bad about this, honestly; one should treasure their limited time alive, instead of pretending it's all set up towards, and meaningless compared to, a theoretical 'infinite lifespan' in Heaven, or what have you, and as for the 'not existing' part? That actually sounds peaceful to me.

All that should matter IMO is what you did whilst alive, and what you leave behind when you're gone.

Spring_Spring

Not Exactly Spotless
Trophies
Website
spring-enterprises.neocities.org
XP
Country
Denmark
Nothingness is probably actually a happier place than this.
Post automatically merged:

I have thought about the theory that living mentally in the future, as many minds tend to want to do, can be considered a mild form of nonexistence (e.g. death) in the present, and therefore the way you think can actually be used to manipulate your perception of your own lifespan.

But it also suggests that we live in states of more or lesser death all the time, even when nominally defined as alive.
This may apply to sleep and other things as well, like times where I have been very sick and/or on drugs, it has felt like time actually slowed down.

But you can possibly access a smaller version of this time-slowing-down effect and feel like your life is extended if you can somehow disconnect your mind from constantly living in the future.
(If it has the tendency to this at all, even, but mine always does).

It's a bit of a wierd theory, but I hope you understand it.

This is a subject that I care a great deal about, actually, but was always too scared of making my own tread about it since I thought nobody would find it relevant, as nobody around me in real life seems to do. Thanks for creating it.

Last edited by Spring_Spring,

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I start thinking (inevitably) that I'm going to die sometime later.
Sometime later as in the future, or is it near future like tomorrow, next few days or even tonight after i fall asleep (not waking from it)? For me it's the latter, I started thinking about this since i was 14/15yo due to some things that i was going through at the time, but it was in a harmless kind of way, just more "aware" of the idea than being terrified or paranoid of it (dying). It's been off & on since then, but it does resurface whenever i'm in a bad, weak, or negative state of mind. I think it can certainly be fueled with things like shame, guilt (& other negative feelings/concepts) over past events, after bouts of subconscious outbursts in both the waking life & in dreams (in the form of recurring events/dreams specifically), even if it's all in your mind..

Reactions: JuanMena

krzys4x

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I love game xbox ps2 gamecube

but didnt love rrod

Death of xbox360 now i must as owner of 3 xbox360 xbox has no rrod never freezing in oposite ps3 slim silent rebaling etc i get freeze in one game klillzone 3 dlc map with that rocket map I think its game fault not ps3 others games never freeze

I found it

rrod.jpg

oh

Last edited by krzys4x,

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love game xbox ps2 gamecube

but didnt love rrod

Death of xbox360 now i must as owner of 3 xbox360 xbox has no rrod never freezing in oposite ps3 slim silent rebaling etc i get freeze in one game klillzone 3 dlc map with that rocket map I think its game fault not ps3 others games never freeze

I found it

View attachment 381931
oh

3 words : What the fuck!

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The Catboy does not care about death as I simply do not die. I am taken out of commission and other catboy or demon takes my place, the cycle continues until there is no reality.

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I guess death is not talking and behaving for instance like Skeletor he or she is not as funny like him or her like in original He-Man and the Masters of the Universe…etc. Nowadays.

Reactions: impeeza

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Life is absurd

The absurdity comes from our natural desire to find meaning in an inherently meaningless world

You have no purpose, but you can make one for yourself

Most of us just choose to enjoy the ride, knowing that there is no other option

There is no reason to kill yourself or not to kill yourself, but it's a final decision, so I choose to see where life takes me - why not, either way I have the same outcome

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto