things you find dumb about your first language

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
My language is quite complex. One letter without accent (`) and it turns into a completely different meaning.

For instance:
Papá = Dad / Father
Papa= Potato

Mamá = Mom / Mother
Mama = To suck (vulgarly and often with sexual connotation)

Also, I really can't stand foreign people not using the letter Ñ in some words like:

Niño = Kid
Nino = ? (Often Italian name)

Año = Year
Ano = Anus

So, I've seen people typing: "Feliz Ano Nuevo"
And that's cringe worthy.

I also hate when people mistranslates spanish sentences and ends up with different contexts.

Now this isn't something I hate but rather love: How easy it is to give a double meaning to spanish words.
And how easy it is to make jokes with said words.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also... the english word Pies...

In english, Pies is equal to a tasty dessert.
In spanish... Pies means feet.

Everytime I read someone sayin': "I just ate some pies" I can't help but think about someone sucking toes.

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Also the fact that in order to convert singular adjectives into plural you just add "S" at the end.

Then it becomes a reflection to add an S to english words too.
And the termination "ed" in english is for past tense and all "ed" english verbs has the same grammatical equivalent for spanish words.
So adding "ed" to english words even when they don't need it is a reflection too.
For instance:

I've Cut myself again.

Last edited by JuanMena,

StrayGuitarist

A genuine feline disaster.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In Russian, there are a few single-letter words like "a" in English, or "y" in Spanish. However, instead of vowels, they're consonants.

"к" meaning "For", in most cases. For example, "Это к тебя!" (It is for you!)
and "в" meaning "in/at" in most cases. For example, "Моя кошка в дереве!" (My cat's in a tree!)

If you aren't familiar with the Russian (Cyrillic) alphabet, "В" is pronounced like a V, and "К" is mostly the same.

These words are usually fine when people are speaking clearly, but when you talk to drunks, or lazy people, they slur their speech and it becomes difficult to get exactly what they're saying. Sometimes it sounds less like "Мой сок в холодильник, да?" (My juice is in the fridge, right?) and more like "мой со к воловильник, да?" (My "so" is for the "vefridverator", yeah?)

Last edited by StrayGuitarist, , Reason: Forgot to add quotes somewhere, fixed that.

Nobody_Important4u

Barely real
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It's hard to point anything specific but i don't like Polish at all, i don't find it exspresive enough, it feels really stifling and so i prefer using English, also everytime i am reading something in Polish and sometimes listen i get this aura of being an asshole, narcistic, hypocrite and not being very intellegent from it.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The letters can't be mirrored, the numbers can be confusing (see 6 and 9 if they are on cards, base 10 is also not really the best choice), spelling of words does not have any strong correspondence to their pronunciation (not to mention lacks letters for things that might technically be pronounced but are not), irregular verbs, irregular spelling rules, lack of a few tenses, general lack of a fixed direction notion (all tend to be relative to the viewer rather than say cardinal directions)... this could go on for a while.

Reactions: JuanMena

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The letters can't be mirrored, the numbers can be confusing (see 6 and 9 if they are on cards, base 10 is also not really the best choice), spelling of words does not have any strong correspondence to their pronunciation (not to mention lacks letters for things that might technically be pronounced but are not), irregular verbs, irregular spelling rules, lack of a few tenses, general lack of a fixed direction notion (all tend to be relative to the viewer rather than say cardinal directions)... this could go on for a while.
The big problem with English is the vast amount of heteronyms there are. Like the word polish.

Can you polish the table

That good looking lad is Polish

And so on

Reactions: Alexander1970

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The big problem with English is the vast amount of heteronyms there are. Like the word polish.

Can you polish the table

And so on

The real language equivalent of operator overloading is fine by me. Can even make things fun at points.
Edit relevant as of example
0pc6vekb4rp21.jpg

Last edited by FAST6191,

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria

Can you polish the table

And so on

And that makes it for me (german) a lot more difficult to post here because 99% of my Posts are missunderstood,not everytime of bad translation and/or my bad english.:(

Reactions: AmandaRose

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Even the English word tea can be confusing. It is used for obviously the beverage but is also used in parts of Britain especially Scotland to mean Dinner.

Would you like a cup of tea?

Hey mum what are you cooking for tea tonight?

Would you like a cup of tea with tea tonight?

Reactions: Alexander1970

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Even the English word tea can be confusing. It is used for obviously the beverage but is also used in parts of Britain especially Scotland to mean Dinner.

Would you like a cup of tea?

Hey mum what are you cooking for tea tonight?

Would you like a cup of tea with tea tonight?

My experience is Americans find such things absolutely adorable, even when delivered by me (anything but adorable) with a phrase like "yo mate, tea's up".

Gets even more fun if you work in golf terms, and possibly graphics terms.

"Game was fucked so the guy was tee posing right at tee off, then my mum called us for tea and in a race to get there I kicked over my tea."
Probably even more fun with various Scottish, Irish or Yorkshire accents wherein to becomes a somewhat clipped "tee" as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: