Rumor The TRUE first day of the week.

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Monday. Monday's the first day of the week.
Proof: Sunday is part of the "weekend" - end of the week. Ergo, it thus cannot be the start of the week. Therefore, the day after Sunday - the end of the week - has to be, by definition, the start of the week.

Gep_Etto

Being late since '88
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Monday. Monday's the first day of the week.
Proof: Sunday is part of the "weekend" - end of the week. Ergo, it thus cannot be the start of the week. Therefore, the day after Sunday - the end of the week - has to be, by definition, the start of the week.

Sunday is one of the two "ends of the week" - it's tips or borders. It's the one that comes before the rest of the week, while Saturday is the one that comes after the rest of the week. Otherwise we'd call Monday and Tuesday the "weekbeginning".

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Sunday - Awesome Day
Monday - Awesome Day
Tuesday - Awesome Day
Wednesday - Awesome Day
Thursday - Awesome Day
Friday - Awesome Day
Saturday - Awesome Day
Sunday - Awesome Day
Monday - Awesome Day
Tuesday - Awesome Day
Wednesday - Awesome Day
Thursday - Awesome Day
Friday - Awesome Day
Saturday - Awesome Day
Sunday - Awesome Day
Monday - Awesome Day
Tuesday - Awesome Day
Wednesday - Awesome Day
Thursday - Awesome Day
Friday - Awesome Day
Saturday - Awesome Day
Sunday - Awesome Day

Sometimes,I think,in my last Life,I was an

Golden-Retriever.jpg

Goldie...2764.png

Mr_Reaper

Newcomer
Trophies
The dark endless abyss of empty eternal oblivion.
Website
tinyvast.com
XP
Country
United States
You're right, Tuesday is Two's Day.

Monday is actually a mispronunciation of the original name, One Day (pronunciations change over time).

Thursday sounds a lot like Four's Day, doesn't it? That's because it is Four's Day!

Friday was of course Five Day, and again the pronunciation has changed over time. But they both start with 'F,' so that's how you know it's true.

You may be thinking, "we skipped Wednesday?"
Yes, Wednesday is spelled weird. People say Wind's Day, it it's spelled Wed'n's Day, which was a Day for Weddings. It was originally Three's Day, but Three is a lucky number so everyone wanted to get married on Three's Day for good luck, so they renamed it Wedding's Day, which was shortened over time to Wed'n's Day.

.Of course Saturday was the day you get to relax and sit down after working all week, so it was named the day when everyone Sat'er Down to rest, so Sat'er Day.

But now we get to the part where you made the understandable mistake. Yes, One Day (Monday) is Day One, but that doesn't mean it's the first day of the week.

Zero comes before One! And Sunday is Day Zero. Notice it's actually named after the Sun, and what shape is the Sun? It's round, like the numeral Zero (0)!

So when they saw the big Zero of the Sun rising up it was like the clock resetting to Day 0, which makes Sunday the first day of the week.

Seems pretty obvious now that you've had it all explained to you, right?

Last edited by Mr_Reaper,

tfocosta

GBAtemp Z-Warrior
Trophies
Website
nooooooooooooooo.com
XP
Country
Canada
I know there's plenty of explanations about this but, in my honest opinion, it all makes sense in Portuguese (and probably in the rest of the Latin languages or "religion-wise"):

Sunday - Domingo (From the Latin dominĭcus, it means the Lord's Day and it's observed as a day of rest and worship by most Christians and it's the first day of the week)
Monday - Segunda (2nd day)
Tuesday - Terça (3rd day)
Wednesday - Quarta (4th day)
Thursday - Quinta (5th day)
Friday - Sexta (6th day)
Saturday - Sábado (7th day. From the Hebrew Sabbath, it's the rest day and entails refraining from work activities. It's the last day of the week)

Feel free to Google it if you wish to get deeper knowledge about this. I'm not religious, but I'm curious and I like to be aware of the meaning/origin of things. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: DAYTONAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!