impeeza

¡Kabito!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
1710968120510.png

With the recent passing of Akira Toriyama, the creator of Dragon Ball the past March first but was announced to the public until the March the 8th, some fans around the world are making a petition on Change.org to make March 8th the International Day of Dragon Ball, the petition can be signed on:

https://chng.it/FfkwxJXryz
https://www.change.org/p/8-de-marzo-día-internacional-de-dragon-ball

For those wondering why the petitioners are asking for the 8th day if the sad day of the decease of Akira Toriyama was the first, an extended proposal for the Dragon Ball Week is in place:

1710967820699.png

Day First for the Anniversary.
Second to 7th days for the family respect and mourning,
And 8th for the International Dragon Ball Day

If you are interested and like to sign the petition go to change.org

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Erm... Ok?
But what about the international day of Astroboy/Atom?
And the international day of Captain Harlock?

And if we should let authors "enjoy" their day before they die,
Where is the international day of Saint Seiya?
What about the international day of Sailor Moon?
No international day of Mazinger Z?

I guess there is no love for the ouvre of Osamu Tezuka / Leiji Matsumoto / Masami Kurumada / Naoko Takeuchi / Go Nagai. :unsure:

/s

• Love
Reactions: impeeza

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Erm... Ok?

I guess there is no love for the ouvre of Osamu Tezuka / Leiji Matsumoto / Masami Kurumada / Naoko Takeuchi / Go Nagai. :unsure:

/s

None of those were as impactful as DB is I may say so, much more so for people in LatAm.
If at all I'd say Saint Seiya... Maybe.
But DB as a whole was a cultural phenomenon worldwide, the likes of which no other anime has seen.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
None of those were as impactful as DB is I may say so, much more so for people in LatAm.
But DB as a whole was a cultural phenomenon worldwide, the likes of which no other anime has seen.
Well, I would say (because mostly everything else wouldn't exist without it) that Astroboy and the ouvre of Osamu Tezuka is more impactful than anything else.
And in LatAm Sailor Moon was more impactful than Saint Seiya, closer to Dragon Ball in this aspect.
I lived my LatAm life back then, I know how much we enjoyed Sailor Moon (and Saint Seiya, and Dragon Ball).

PS: And I am old actually, so I remember there was quite a fandom for Mazinger Z even before that, I even remember playing some Mazinger Z vinyls that a friend had back in the 80s.. And If you have vinyls of anything in your local LatAm Spanish language, that must have been quite popular. Though I agree Dragon Ball has legs of its own, specially in the LatAm meme-world, where probably the only thing that rivals its cultural meme status is the Simpsons.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

Robert Newbie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

We'll GET to those, OK? ;)

To be honest, I don't even know my Dragon Ball, but I know my Chrono Trigger and Dragon Quest. I like the idea of celebrating such a revered creator and series.

When I'm elderly, I'm sure new DBZ stuff will still be coming out (like Ninja Turtles).

impeeza

¡Kabito!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Dragon ball was the phenomenon which open the doors to the anime and manga be a success outside Japan. By example, as today dragon ball had sell at least 60% outside of Japan even being a complete smash on Japan so the record of sale outside is giant!

Reactions: ShadowOne333

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Probably because the game cover looks like it's meant for little kids