The Story of the Switch - A Year in Retrospect

Discussion in 'Switch - Games & Content' started by Scarlet, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Global Moderator
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I mean, we're looking at +/- 393.2 GFLOPS docked and going full blast, we're officially in smartphone-grade territory due to Nintendo's conservative clock. Unlocking the clock and letting the X1 perform at its peak setting, or at least using a dynamic clock based on temperature and load would've done the system a favour. I genuinely think the system is being held back for no reason.

2. Risingdawn

Risingdawn Tempallica

May 22, 2010
    United Kingdom
    I don't think there's been any outrage or anyone getting bent out of shape; I think the fact that you have debated valid points without going all "rabid angry fan-boy" has just prompted a reasonable discourse on the subject is all, it's a good thing :) disagreement is healthy when appoached the correct way. Don't take it to heart ;)

Foxi4 likes this.
  3. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    If smartphones had better gaming OSes, and native games that weren't F2P garbage, then perhaps.

As far as throttling for temperature goes, it might be a little conservative, but I think they left some overhead for possibilities like playing outside on a warm day. I do think they could've made the system a little thicker and improved airflow that way, allowing for higher clock speeds.

Foxi4 likes this.
  4. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Global Moderator
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Some point of agreement at last. Yes, the Switch chassis construction, the measly heatpipe and tiny heatsink are all at fault here, but even without adjusting them I've never even heard the Switch properly spinning its fan up. I know some people would rather hang themselves than hear a fan, but if it means a 20% boost in performance, I think the sacrifice is worth it. Here's for hoping that homebrew unlocks the CPU clock and allows for more steady framerates in demanding games like Doom and the upcoming Wolfenstein 2, it would be most welcome.

Xzi likes this.
  5. StarTrekVoyager

StarTrekVoyager Soon™

Jun 19, 2016
    France
    Paris
    So Nintendo had to pull out 8mm processes or graphene chips or other unexisting tech out of their ass? The Switch already heats like hell with an underclocked X1.

6. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Global Moderator
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    It doesn't, the TDP of the X1 at full clock is 15W with an average of 10W, and it's underclocked in the Switch. The fan never undergoes proper spin-up and barely turns at all. It just doesn't produce that much heat and the few-and-far-between cases of plastic warping are most likely a result of shoddy assembly. It barely consumes any power at all and does not generate a lot of heat as a result. They didn't have to pull anything out of their ass, the existing Pascal and VEGA architectures were readily available and more efficient. Even if they wanted to stick with Maxwell, on a custom die they could've traded CPU space relevant for general computing for GPU cores relevant in gaming, but they opted for an off-the-shelf component instead. They had plenty of headroom.

7. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    the switch wasnt made in 2 days, sure they were available but the switch probably was in testing phases and such long before they were available at all.

8. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Global Moderator
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I don't know why you people are going out of your way to defend Nintendo's design - Nintendo can defend themselves just fine without your help. It could've been much better.

9. DeslotlCL

DeslotlCL GBAtemp's official lewd scalie trash

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    That's called famboyism... or being royal to just one brand, just like the poeple who defend apple's shit :P

10. StarTrekVoyager

StarTrekVoyager Soon™

Jun 19, 2016
    France
    Paris
    No, it's just that I don't see a tablet more powerful than the Switch, especially for the same price, so people saying "it should've been much better" just baffles me. The battery life is already low enough as is.

11. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Global Moderator
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Tablets are completely different devices, they're meant for general computing and they're geared towards battery life. A handheld console doesn't require as much general purpose compute and as long as it lasts 2-3 hours under load, it's completely fine. You don't see high spec tablets much because they're not designed for gaming, it's really that simple - you're comparing apples and oranges. The whole point of consoles using custom chips is gearing them towards a specified purpose. When Sony and Microsoft released their latest systems based on x86, everyone was up in arms that they basically made PC's in console boxes, and those actually do use custom APU's, but when Nintendo releases a tablet that uses an off-the-shelf SoC that's identical to a stock X1 in every single way then it's because of profit margins, or because it needed to be tested, or because it's actually competitive with other mobile devices. It's hypocritical, it's not a tablet or a phone, you don't get to use that excuse for Nintendo and simultaneously call the PS4 or the XBO PC's.

12. aofelix

aofelix GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 21, 2013
    Okay so do we now go off real world performance or sales for success in a console?

Customers would get good value for money if Nintendo took a loss on every console but that kind of business behaviour invariably leads to an end unless you have MS pots of cash to basically just play around in the video game industry.

50-100$ might not be a lot for you, but it would be a massive hindrance to most people buying the console.

If you take financial considerations out of the equation for a console, then nearly every successful console can be criticised to hell and back.

I think Nintendo has two options in regards to power;
    1. Wait a year to see GPU prices go down to release at an affordable price with a stronger more long term architecture
    2. Release as they did now

I think 2 was the smarter decision given the financial climate when it comes to GPUs at present.

Last edited by aofelix, Mar 8, 2018
    StarTrekVoyager likes this.
  13. StarTrekVoyager

StarTrekVoyager Soon™

Jun 19, 2016
    France
    Paris
    Indeed, the MSRP of $299 was already seen as way too expensive by a great majority of people. Releasing a console only $50 more expensive would've been financial suicide. I still see people who are still saving for a Switch, or buy a 3DS instead because of the price.

14. aofelix

Dec 21, 2013
    Exactly. Imagine trying to sell the switch for $400 with BOTW being the only playable game. 299 was already pushing A LOT of people away from the console.

Given the Wii U's total flop and lack of brand presence in family environments for Nintendo consoles, for longevity their main priority HAD to be just getting the console into people's homes. Nintendo didn't have the option the PS3 had of just cutting the price on slims and maintaining a brand presence because in all honesty re-designing the Wii U would have led to nothing.

StarTrekVoyager likes this.
  15. invaderyoyo

invaderyoyo invader

Mar 17, 2014
    United States
    Southern California
    I'm kinda scared for the Switch. It's giving me Wii vibe where it sold a lot, but it ended up missing out on a lot of games or got inferior versions of games. The Wii ended up being one of my least used consoles.

16. aofelix

Dec 21, 2013
    Thats exactly the direction its going in, aka one of the most successful consoles of all time. The difference is with Sony & MS scared of entering the portable market, Nintendo COULD get totally dominate this new form of gaming.

However my biggest worry is developers now will find it much easier to port games from the Switch to the PS4/XBOX which might impact the number of old exclusives which systems like the 3DS could hold onto.

17. invaderyoyo

invaderyoyo invader

Mar 17, 2014
    United States
    Southern California
    The Wii is part of the reason 3rd parties don't trust Nintendo.

18. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Global Moderator
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Hundred million-selling dust collector, perfect for soccer moms and grandparents. I will happily choose the PS2 model over the Wii model of development, 10 out of 10 times, as much as I enjoyed the Wii remote and the platform.

As for the ease of porting from the Switch to other platforms, it's really no different than usual - most game code is platform independent. As long as you have access to the same API's you can port with minimal effort, this isn't the 90's, hardly anything runs on bare metal.

invaderyoyo likes this.
  19. aofelix

Dec 21, 2013

The PS2 model is only possible following the extremely successful PS1.

The Switch was coming off of a total flop in the Wii U.

Your inability to look at this objectively from Nintendo's perspective and instead live in an ideal world where finances don't matter but only hardware specs do really limit my ability to take you seriously.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I respectfully disagree. Third parties were lining up to get in on the gravy train which was the Wii with shoddy motion controlled ports.

Developers and third parties will always flock to wherever the money is.

Nintendo realistically had two options post Wii-U.

1. The Switch
    2. A proper home console with no gimicks and pure grunt.

Given that option 2 would have likely been destroyed by the XBOX one X, they made the right decision. Given the general populations lack of faith and money to invest in a portable system, the 299 price tag seems like now a sweet spot, when in reality it was pushing a lot of people away given the lack of great launch titles apart from BOTW.

I wish Nintendo would have waited a year or two to release the switch as it would have increased the longevity of the console with a more powerful architecture and GPU.

However I also understand Nintendo's hand was forced by just how god damn badly the Wii U was doing.

20. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    i always followed sony and nintendo since ps1 and n64 days and i even own original xbox and a 360(both bough used while sony and nintendo i buy them new) someday i will get an xbox one when i find an appealing price used, so yeah nope im not loyal to nintendo, heck in all i got manny more ps2 and ps3 games than all nintendo games put together, just for ps2 i got over 60 games and ps3 around 50.