The Story of the Switch - A Year in Retrospect

Discussion in 'Switch - Games & Content' started by Scarlet, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    That's kind of why I said it's own thing. If you'd like the definitive console experience? The Switch isn't it.

2. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    look at the competition?what competetion? you said its the only portable console alive right now so even you believe it doesnt have competition on the market space it is, so therefore it has no competition unless you count the vita i guess, and still switch wins by a landslide.

you cant except any portable device to play ps4 quality games... and when you say look at competition specs, show me a competition that has a more powerful gaming device that can be used portably then, so nintendo can "learn" from them, like you said it has noone therefore it cant take notes on the competition specs becuase only the vita exists and is abandoned long ago.

Last edited by pedro702, Mar 4, 2018
  3. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Global Moderator
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    With today's APU's? Sure I can. Besides, I never claimed that it *has* to match the XBO/PS4, I said that 1TFLOP would've made it competitive. The XBO and the PS4 *are* the mainstream competition whether you like it or not, the Switch is a hybrid and as such it has to compete across the two spectrums. I don't expect it to be 4K-capable or VR Ready like mid-to-high end laptops, but if it's supposed to bridge the gap between home consoles and portables, it should at least run at X1's native clock, which contrary to what you might think would not be a nightmare to cool. It'd give the system a 200-odd GFLOP boost with no hardware changes whatsoever and perhaps a slightly more audible fan noise under stress.

4. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    and a batery life of 1 hour at best ...

5. Titanica

Titanica As insane as a Seventh Grader!!!!:!!1244135

Dec 18, 2016
    United States
    Earth
    Happy B-Day, Switch! I wonder what this year will bring to the console.

6. aofelix

aofelix GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 21, 2013
    Tell me a device which is on sale now for less than the switch which has:

1. Better graphics power
    2. A dedicated controller setup
    3. A similar form factor to enhance its portability
    4. An equivalent battery life
    5. A screen as good/better

I'm not even trying to be an ass here. I'm actually actively looking for a Windows/PC alternative to the switch because I have 350 steam games I'd LOVE to play portably but every solution I look into will either not play the games, be too expensive, have poor battery life not be portable enough.

I'm willing to actually pay double the Switch's price for an alternative.

[I'm sure getting an off the shelf tegra helped keep costs low. The Switch's price already turned off many people as it is]

Last edited by aofelix, Mar 4, 2018
  7. Bonestorm

Bonestorm Banned

Banned
    Jan 15, 2017
    Canada
    Midgar, Sector 5
    You think the Switch is better than the SNES?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

lol
    The Switch has 4 exclusive games and 2 tech demos

what a joke LOL

8. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    GPD Win 2

9. fedehda

fedehda GBAtemp Fan

GBAtemp Patron
    fedehda is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 7, 2017
    Argentina
    At your current screen. And in heaven
    Different times. I didn't grow with a snes on my hands. In fact, I always wanted the psp when I got older.

Switch is a concept that I loved since the first time. Obviously, this is a totally subjective point of view.

Objectively, both are great by the time they got into the market.

10. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    "Adequate" is subjective though. If Switch's power is inadequate, then Vita and 3DS were even more inadequate. The fact that Nintendo has no competition in this space now is not their fault, neither MS nor Sony are willing to take the same kinds of risks. GPD Win/Win 2 pretty much cover the same functionality as Switch, but they're more like miniaturized laptops than gaming consoles. So really the problem with calling Switch weak is that there's nothing stronger, nothing to compare it to other than perhaps Vita. Comparing Switch to PS4 is a lot like comparing PS4 to PC, and neither of those comparisons is really fair. Power is not the end-all be-all of gaming, otherwise the entire console market would be dead by now.

fedehda likes this.
  11. Bonestorm

Bonestorm Banned

Banned
    Jan 15, 2017
    Canada
    Midgar, Sector 5
    This whole conversation is pointless, it doesn't matter how much power the Switch has it literally has 0 impact on sales.

12. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Precisely. It's gonna keep selling like hotcakes because it still looks really great for a portable no matter how you slice it. The fact that it gets real console games and not watered-down portable versions is just the cherry on top. Double the power and double the price to $600, and Switch likely would've been a failure. That same price point caused PS3 to be outsold by XB360, which had the worst hardware design of any console.

Last edited by Xzi, Mar 5, 2018
  13. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    the controls are preety bad and the 600+ $ would make a switch a huge failure.

14. aofelix

aofelix GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 21, 2013
    Nope. It simply can't do that.

The screen is too small, the controls are unwieldly, its expenisve, and it can't play most games I'd want to play at a decent res/fps. Have you seen how bad GTA looks on it?

I've researched this option sadly. :(

What I really want is an affordable touch screen windows tablet which can game everything at atleast 720p/60fps. I'm happy to buy an XBOX one controller and figure out my own bluetooth keyboard/mouse setup if the price was right. There just seems to be NOTHING on the market which does this, which kind of puzzles me given thats what the switch is and how successful its been.

I think Razr did something like this and charged 1300 dollars

Last edited by aofelix, Mar 5, 2018
  15. Risingdawn

Risingdawn Tempallica

May 22, 2010
    United Kingdom
    It's a great system, by far the very best handheld video games console ever created. I loved my Vita but it could never deliver on those true AAA experiences it promised. Switch has put out the very best handheld games we've ever experienced, I never imagined that we would be able to see something like Doom or Skyrim playing on a battery powered device let alone BOTW or Xeno C 2.

The more vocal of course will always focus on power, and comparisons to PS4 or Xbox One, which is obviously missing the point. Nintendo's business strategy has long been to not directly compete in a three way power race and go the way of Sega or Atari.

This time round Nintendo have decided to focus on arguably their strongest avenue; that has long been portable gaming and now we can even play these portable experiences on a T.V without them looking like garbage (sorry PSP and Vita but you really did look like shit on a tv).

Switch has given us the best handheld console on the market, a massive leap ahead of the last gen systems; has done so without sacrificing the couch co-op that has been so forgotten by it's competition and released arguably the best games of the generation.

And all from a measly 15w power consumption. So your saving the planet at the same time ;) congratulations Nintendo, long may you sit alongside my PlayStation.

Xzi and fedehda like this.
  16. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Global Moderator
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Again, if the Switch is supposed to bridge the gap between home consoles and handhelds, which is the core of its design, it needs the brawn to pull it off. It can simultaneously be the best handheld console of all time and have a lacking spec in comparison to its full-scale brethren, both statements can be true simultaneously.

17. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    how can that be true? how can you even make something close to xb1 portable for 300$? no one would pay 700$ for a console that would still be inferior to xb1 jsut so it can play so more games with less tradeoffs, they have to consider pricing too.

18. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    The Win 2 is definitely a viable option when looking at what you specifically requested. If you're looking for anything more in such a small form factor, you'll be waiting for quite a while longer.

19. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    problem is it costs more than double the switch lol at 650$ :P also that is not released yet is it? i mean it still may 2018 wich its at indie gogo and that can be delayed indefenitively.

Last edited by pedro702, Mar 5, 2018
  20. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Global Moderator
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Like I said earlier, with the modern VEGA chips it's not hard to reach 1TFLOP without reaching any extraordinary thermal or power consumption issues, not to mention Pascal which was already available. A custom chip would've gone a long way in making the system more competitive on the console arena, but it is what it is - I'm only offering insight. If low-to-mid end laptops can do it these days, so can the Switch - 1 TFLOP of single precision compute really isn't that much when the high-end chips offer many times that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice