The Nintendo Switch has overtaken the sales of the PlayStation 4, in Japan

5b48c98c5ea108a4298b45f9.png

The Nintendo Switch continues to be nothing short of amazing, when it comes to sales, breaking tons of records in multiple countries ever since its 2017 launch. As of May 2019, the Switch has made another landmark achievement, in overtaking the PlayStation 4's sales in both company's homeland of Japan. The Nintendo Switch now sits at 8,125,637 sales, while the PS4 is just a tad less, clocking in at 8,077,766. What makes this even more impressive, is that the PS4 launched far before the Switch ever did, with the former having released on Feb. 22, 2014, and the latter on Mar. 3, 2017.

On a global scale, the PlayStation 4 still reigns supreme, at 91 million units shipped, and the Switch at 34 million.

:arrow: Source

TheMrIron2

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
protecting their ips is not being greedy, they have every legal right, the reason you dont see sony or microsoft doing this is because how many fan games do you see being based on halo or god of war ?
Nintendo are by far the most obnoxious enforcers of copyright law of any of the "big three".

A developer spent 7 years making an identical recreation of Super Mario Bros for Commodore 64 that was released for free earlier this year and a takedown notice was issued within a few days. You can't possibly defend that as protection of profits or brand because there's no way Nintendo could feasibly lose any money from that and it doesn't infringe on any Nintendo plans, but based on the fact it's Mario it was taken down very quickly after 7 years of work.

MS/Sony valiantly disagree with hacking and piracy, but put their games up on YouTube and they're all for it without restriction - same goes for soundtracks and other game related material. Nintendo have shut down soundtrack youtube channels before.

Reactions: Tiger21820

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I couldnt give two fucks on how many a console sells, nintendo usually always dominate in japan.

But lets not kid ourselves here, nintendo are still failing to keep its promise yet again to improve better third party support.

Id rather see a console sell slow but get the games worth playing.

I cant find a single aaa title thats a must have for the switch that isnt a port from the ps3/360 or even ps2.

And why would i rebuy and pay more for it when i already own it or can buy its original release far cheaper.

My switch only gets used as a means to emulate retro systems, even that i have full access to any switch rom i dont find any worth bothering to download.
You do understand hitting landmarks like this will help achieve getting 3rd party support right? This will for sure at least win over devs based in Japan to start considering the Switch. Generally game devs are more likely to support consoles that sell well, like the Wii despite being rather painful to port to do too neither having a standard controller nor even remotely decent horse power. So perhaps you should care about it more. Also, I am going to have to ask you to fuck off on saying there are no good triple A games on the Switch. Doom is fun as hell.

Reactions: DarthDub

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
People buy the Switch to play Mario Kart/Mario Party/Smash Bros/Zelda, I'd say CFW enthusiasts represent less than one customer in ten thousand.
Switch is still early in its life cycle compared to the PS4 but it already has many more games worth playing. After 6 years there are two good games on PS4: Bloodborne and Gravity Rush.
What you been drinking 2 good games :lol: such silly comments deserves a ban

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You do understand hitting landmarks like this will help achieve getting 3rd party support right? This will for sure at least win over devs based in Japan to start considering the Switch. Generally game devs are more likely to support consoles that sell well, like the Wii despite being rather painful to port to do too neither having a standard controller nor even remotely decent horse power. So perhaps you should care about it more. Also, I am going to have to ask you to fuck off on saying there are no good triple A games on the Switch. Doom is fun as hell.

And here comes a pissy fanboy coming to nintendos defence.

If sales brings better third party support then why the fuck have nintendo been singing the same fucking song since the n64.

If sales brings great thirs party support then why the fuck is it nintendo are only just getting these great titles now.

And wow this snowflake now loves whats this, games you fanboys slated in the past for being a generic fps.... yes you all slated sony or microsoft for having violent fps shooters.

Now you find them fun.

You lot are the worse contradicting tools PERIOD.

and yea doom is fun, hmmm but fact still remains it was an old port, dumbed down, inferior version.

The next installment exactly the same.

Maybe you should educate yourself befrow trying to defend your beloved. Console sales do not win over third party support.

Reason why nintendo always lack the third party support is because its consoles are always inferior hardware, devs cant simply port its game, they have to dumb it down or pay a different division to make it.

Then in return it doesnt bring it the sales they expected.

Its a clever trick nintendo do intentially so it dominates the console, its games get majority of the sales, limited competition.

But dont fool yourself thr switch isnt goung to change, wish it did but its time to wake up and smell the coffee nintendo is and will always be a childs play toy.

It will always lack todays big aaa titles and you will hear when nintendo releases its next system this same promise and what you'll get is all of this gens titles ported.

But thats it, again nintendo will release inferior hardware likely subpar to this gen and again devs will be restricted as they move torwards sony and Microsoft's next gen hardware which again will be superior and devs wont simply be able to port its current titles.

This is a fact, its been the same thing the last 3 generations.

Also when you come to think of it, Nintendo have always put some form of obstacle in the way to detere third parties.

N64 - its restricted and expensive carts
Cube - its small and limited disc size
Wii - stupid forced controller and inferior hardware
Wii u - stupid forced controller again inferior hardware
Switch - stupid tiny controllers and again inferior hardware and expensive carts

As long as nintendo are ok recycling its same old titles all the time they dont actually plan a console to help third parties support them better.

Last edited by ,

StupidGamer1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And here comes a pissy fanboy coming to nintendos defence.

If sales brings better third party support then why the fuck have nintendo been singing the same fucking song since the n64.

If sales brings great thirs party support then why the fuck is it nintendo are only just getting these great titles now.

And wow this snowflake now loves whats this, games you fanboys slated in the past for being a generic fps.... yes you all slated sony or microsoft for having violent fps shooters.

Now you find them fun.

You lot are the worse contradicting tools PERIOD.

and yea doom is fun, hmmm but fact still remains it was an old port, dumbed down, inferior version.

The next installment exactly the same.

Maybe you should educate yourself befrow trying to defend your beloved. Console sales do not win over third party support.

Reason why nintendo always lack the third party support is because its consoles are always inferior hardware, devs cant simply port its game, they have to dumb it down or pay a different division to make it.

Then in return it doesnt bring it the sales they expected.

Its a clever trick nintendo do intentially so it dominates the console, its games get majority of the sales, limited competition.

But dont fool yourself thr switch isnt goung to change, wish it did but its time to wake up and smell the coffee nintendo is and will always be a childs play toy.

It will always lack todays big aaa titles and you will hear when nintendo releases its next system this same promise and what you'll get is all of this gens titles ported.

But thats it, again nintendo will release inferior hardware likely subpar to this gen and again devs will be restricted as they move torwards sony and Microsoft's next gen hardware which again will be superior and devs wont simply be able to port its current titles.

This is a fact, its been the same thing the last 3 generations.

Also when you come to think of it, Nintendo have always put some form of obstacle in the way to detere third parties.

N64 - its restricted and expensive carts
Cube - its small and limited disc size
Wii - stupid forced controller and inferior hardware
Wii u - stupid forced controller again inferior hardware
Switch - stupid tiny controllers and again inferior hardware and expensive carts

As long as nintendo are ok recycling its same old titles all the time they dont actually plan a console to help third parties support them better.

We get it, you don't like Nintendo. You complain about them every damn thread. I don't like any consoles as PCs wreck them in nearly every category. I don't care for Nintendo but it's clearly you are a either a Soyny fanboy or a Sh*Tbox one who support censorship and control of digital games. Yeah,they are so much better. Get a life dude.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We get it, you don't like Nintendo. You complain about them every damn thread. I don't like any consoles as PCs wreck them in nearly every category. I don't care for Nintendo but it's clearly you are a either a Soyny fanboy or a Sh*Tbox one who support censorship and control of digital games. Yeah,they are so much better. Get a life dude.
Love fanboys come to defend claim not to be then chat shit.

Im a gamer, i buy and collect all consoles.

Ill repeat again because you failed to get my point.

I dislike nintendo simpyl because you invist when buying a console, you get a new console that again fails to meet their promise of better support.

But to the point before another fanboy tried to rescue nintendo.

These articles are not worth the time, nintendo will always dominate the japan market.

Ask yourself why it is they only post japan sales and to feed their nintendo fanboy monkey its banana.

Console sales dont mean fuck all, nintendo could outsell the ps4 abd xbox1 combined but it will never change the number 1 problem that it still lacks the great third party support.

And im sorry if you think late inferior ports and old ports from when nintendo failed to keep its promise before about third party support, yup ps3/360 ports.

So your defending a system thats getting titles generations later when sony and micrsoft have been there done that got the sodding t shirt.

Hmmm makes sense, or is it all these games the fanboys have slated for being boring fps, or violent brain dead, dull.... ohh yea theyre loving them now.

Thats what i find funny nintendo fans are so contradicting, one minute theyre on the graphic wagon, then its all about fun games, then slate about blood and violence and look huet above, loving exactly what they previously slated.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

I dislike nintendo simpyl because you invist when buying a console, you get a new console that again fails to meet their promise of better support.

These articles are not worth the time, nintendo will always dominate the japan market.

Ask yourself why it is they only post japan sales and to feed their nintendo fanboy monkey its banana.

Console sales dont mean fuck all, nintendo could outsell the ps4 abd xbox1 combined but it will never change the number 1 problem that it still lacks the great third party support.

And im sorry if you think late inferior ports and old ports from when nintendo failed to keep its promise before about third party support, yup ps3/360 ports.

So your defending a system thats getting titles generations later when sony and micrsoft have been there done that got the sodding t shirt.

Hmmm makes sense, or is it all these games the fanboys have slated for being boring fps, or violent brain dead, dull.... ohh yea theyre loving them now.

Thats what i find funny nintendo fans are so contradicting, one minute theyre on the graphic wagon, then its all about fun games, then slate about blood and violence and look huet above, loving exactly what they previously slated.
jesus you still holding on to the GC days where nintendo is on the graphics wagon? dude drop it it been 3 generations that nintendo doesnt go for graphics and your still pushhing the gc days for whatever reason lol.

Nintendo consoles are mainly for nintendo games since the n64 days dont know why you keep expecting AAA third party games to appear they wont, nintendo has dropped the graphics thing since the gc failled so now they just do their own stuff, if thrid partys want to port the games then fine if they dont then no one is expecting nintendo to get gta6 lol.

nintendo has been doing its own thing since the gc so if you dont like what they are aiming for just speak with your wallet and dont buy there console its easy, no idea why you buy a console and then complain about it knowing in advance it wont get 3rd party games becuase its graphic capabilitys, its like buying a 3ds and expect most switch games land in there too.

Reactions: StupidGamer1

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Both my nintendo Switch and PS4 Pro are just OFF for a damn long time, the difference is just that the PS4 is picking dust and the Switch is in a closed bag and with 2 silica bags for sucking the humidity and don't let the humidity go into the switch, I also have quite a few big bags thrown all over inside my PC lol, Don't have a clue is if they improve or actually make the PC worse :ph34r:.

Well the PC is from 2011 and still going strong with huge OC so I guess Silica at least is not harming it, in fact I never had a PC that lasted this long:grog:.

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know why people are surprised. The market in Japan is quite different than westerns', they always loved portables, the public transportation system there allows that, lack of space in their houses, etc. Who cares they sell more there, plus you cannot compare the Switch with the PS4! It's just another story for the Nintendo fanboys.
I wonder what your response would have been if the PS4 was outselling Switch. Hmm...

jesus you still holding on to the GC days where nintendo is on the graphics wagon? dude drop it it been 3 generations that nintendo doesnt go for graphics and your still pushhing the gc days for whatever reason lol.
Watch out, he might bring up that one Android tablet that no one bought as "proof" that Nintendo isn't innovative, even though no one wants to spend $400+ just to play Candy Crush and Angry Birds.

Last edited by GerbilSoft,

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Nintendo consoles are mainly for nintendo games since the n64 days dont know why you keep expecting AAA third party games to appear they wont, nintendo has dropped the graphics thing since the gc failled so now they just do their own stuff, if thrid partys want to port the games then fine if they dont then no one is expecting nintendo to get gta6 lol.

nintendo has been doing its own thing since the gc so if you dont like what they are aiming for just speak with your wallet and dont buy there console its easy, no idea why you buy a console and then complain about it knowing in advance it wont get 3rd party games becuase its graphic capabilitys, its like buying a 3ds and expect most switch games land in there too.

No its more of a nintendo say something you all go for it, then contradict.

Nintendo dont go for hardware anymore because they make more money releasing cheap hardware with bs gimmicks.

As for support then maybe nintendo should stop making the promise.

If the switch started getting games at the same time and not shitty ports then id happily buy its version.

Id bet anymoney if Nintendo released its next system that beat the other two youd all contradict again.

Thats what makes me laugh, the fans blindly defend and contradict all the time its very amusing.

But to put it back to the point before the fanboys took it off topic as they demand only their opinion matters and anyone else is wrong, hence the quote.

I couldn't give two shits how well a console sells, its the games i buy a console for, it could sell shit but as long as it has the games i want im happy.

The wii sold far more than the ps3 and it was littered with shovelware shit games.

The ps3 sold less yet the great titles it had are just getting ported to switch, been there done that.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
No its more of a nintendo say something you all go for it, then contradict.

Nintendo dont go for hardware anymore because they make more money releasing cheap hardware with bs gimmicks.

As for support then maybe nintendo should stop making the promise.

If the switch started getting games at the same time and not shitty ports then id happily buy its version.

Id bet anymoney if Nintendo released its next system that beat the other two youd all contradict again.

Thats what makes me laugh, the fans blindly defend and contradict all the time its very amusing.

But to put it back to the point before the fanboys took it off topic as they demand only their opinion matters and anyone else is wrong, hence the quote.

I couldn't give two shits how well a console sells, its the games i buy a console for, it could sell shit but as long as it has the games i want im happy.

The wii sold far more than the ps3 and it was littered with shovelware shit games.

The ps3 sold less yet the great titles it had are just getting ported to switch, been there done that.
nintendo will never release a console more powerful than the competition from now on, they tryed that and didnt get good results n64 was stronger than ps1 and they lost, gc was stronger than ps2 and they lost again, and nintendo realized they cant win with specs so they try diferent things like wii motion stuff,3ds 3d screen, wiiu gamepad and now switch so yeah i dont see nintendo ever again releasing a home console that can beat the competition they will always stay doing their experiments really, wii worked so did the switch and 3ds, wiiu failled but so far they were good for them, they dont need to make AAA hardware when they have something diferent on the market and that is nintendo aproach, they target an younger audience with theeir games while sony and microsoft want the older gamer, so they always dominated the handheld market and failled mostly on home market since n64 days so the switch lets them keep handheld market while allowing people wich prefer home version of their games do that too, they made a great decision imo, my favorite part of wiiu was games with gamepad only mode, even tough gamepad battery was crap and lasted under 2 hours, 480p screen, and bulky.

Nintendo wont ever again make a monster console imo, heck i predict they will only have 4k in 2 generation the switch sucessor wont even be 4k because they will keep the hybrid route now, probably with some new experimentation maybe vr focused hybrid or even 3d switch who knows, 4k would require massive advancements to get 4k on a small tablet screen running games, so nintendo 4k maybe in 10 years with luck imo.

i,m honest if switch 2 is like switch one more powerful all vr focused outside of the box with a complementary 3d screen that would kick ass, no need to buy extra aseecories since it could come with head strap,joycons with motion stuff on each switch2 side and switch already has a screen so you wouldnt need to buy anything :P, the 3d screen would be fun so devs could make 3d handheld games imo or even make 3ds VC someday.

Stuff like this is what nintendo will pursue and not making a AAA machine, they like to experiment, well atleast you cant say their sonsoles are all the same just more powerful lol, nes,snes,n64 cartridge based home consoles all with diferent style controllers, gc disc based with a standard controller, wii motion based disc system, wiiu table dual screen touch based console and now switch hybrid coonsole with touch screen and motion built in and detcachable controllers.

StupidGamer1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

are you blind or can't read? I said I am a PC gamer since consoles aren't worth it to me any more,but good god you complain like a teenage girl on every topic nintendo related.

Reactions: DarthDub

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
People buy the Switch to play Mario Kart/Mario Party/Smash Bros/Zelda, I'd say CFW enthusiasts represent less than one customer in ten thousand.
Switch is still early in its life cycle compared to the PS4 but it already has many more games worth playing. After 6 years there are two good games on PS4: Bloodborne and Gravity Rush.
Let's not forget that Gravity Rush is only there because Sony killed the Vita.

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
are you blind or can't read? I said I am a PC gamer since consoles aren't worth it to me any more,but good god you complain like a teenage girl on every topic nintendo related.
You'd have a better chance of replacing a soldered memory module on a modern MacBook than getting sense through to a brick wall.

wownmnpare

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice! Btw if someone somewhere found an entry point to hack ipatched unit. Will it gonna boost the sale of the nintendo switch? just a silly question.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Glad nintendo is doing well by doing something a bit different. well, it's more a combination of everything it's done up till now, but they took the risk. the risk bit is nice.

wish other countries put out their exact numbers like japan does.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Glad nintendo is doing well by doing something a bit different. well, it's more a combination of everything it's done up till now, but they took the risk. the risk bit is nice.

wish other countries put out their exact numbers like japan does.
they basicaly combined the wii and wiiu into one and made the switch, motion capabilities of the wii with teh wiiu gamepad off tv gameplay and touch screen, they turned into a switch wich can be playbled off the screen and without needing the main console now, and detachable controllers that can act as wiimotes. if they made it with a 3d screen then it would be all in one :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-