The Nintendo Switch has overtaken the sales of the PlayStation 4, in Japan

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, May 15, 2019.

Front-page
    5b48c98c5ea108a4298b45f9.

The Nintendo Switch continues to be nothing short of amazing, when it comes to sales, breaking tons of records in multiple countries ever since its 2017 launch. As of May 2019, the Switch has made another landmark achievement, in overtaking the PlayStation 4's sales in both company's homeland of Japan. The Nintendo Switch now sits at 8,125,637 sales, while the PS4 is just a tad less, clocking in at 8,077,766. What makes this even more impressive, is that the PS4 launched far before the Switch ever did, with the former having released on Feb. 22, 2014, and the latter on Mar. 3, 2017.

On a global scale, the PlayStation 4 still reigns supreme, at 91 million units shipped, and the Switch at 34 million.

:arrow: Source

DarthDub, jt_1258, lordelan and 7 others like this.
    Discussion (58 replies)
  1. Owenge

Owenge GbaTemp browser

Feb 13, 2017
    United States
    ◤__◥
    RIP

2. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    I'm torn apart.
    One part of me doesn't like Sony products, and I don't want their PS4 to reign as the supreme console of this gen. And the other part of me feels fucking disgusted that Nintendo is gaining momentum quickly with the Switch, given how fucking greedy they are and how bad they are to their fanbases.
    Then again, the latter can be said for Sony too :P

Last edited by ShadowOne333, May 15, 2019
  3. Essasetic

Essasetic Your local TX Fanboy

Jun 16, 2018
    United Kingdom
    And it happened. Sooner than I thought it would.

4. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    ?? nintendo is as greedy as any other videogame company lol i dont see what they do that is greedy that sony and microsoft dont do themselves imo.

5. SkittleDash

SkittleDash Loading...

GBAtemp Patron
    SkittleDash is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 21, 2015
    Japan
    Planeptune
    Congrats, Nintendo! Proud of your achievement! :3

TheTechWiz25 likes this.
  6. ShadowOne333

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    Their greed wouldn't be an issue if they didn't threat their fanbase and their creations as heresy to their name and brand.

Orangy57 likes this.
  7. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Addict

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    All of them are greedy. They only care about one thing, and that's to make money.

8. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    I hope it's cause sony strict censorship changes compared to nintendo. :ninja:

You know, just to send sony a message? :creep:

TheTechWiz25 likes this.
  9. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Must of been ps4 manufacture issues at somepoint:lol:

10. D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R Nephilim

Dec 6, 2008
    United States
    Big deal. They sold 47,871 more in Japan only. Switch is still behind by 57 million worldwide.

AirbusX likes this.
  11. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    protecting their ips is not being greedy, they have every legal right, the reason you dont see sony or microsoft doing this is because how many fan games do you see being based on halo or god of war ?

banjo2 and TheTechWiz25 like this.
  12. KnightOfRoses

KnightOfRoses Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 16, 2016
    Brazil
    It's not only fan games, Big N is pretty harsh on youtubers as well, sometimes only a soundtrack is enough to get you cease and desist order.

teamlocust and ShadowOne333 like this.
  13. ShadowOne333

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    ^That.
    Fangames is not the only example.
    Nintendo shuts down almost any kind of reference to any of their IPs, including the likes of them, even sounds. I am amazed we can even talk about them without them C&Ds our asses to lawyers.

14. Codemastershock

Codemastershock GBAtemp Regular

Oct 14, 2013
    Brazil
    I am not surprised, Japan is way more fond to portable consoles and at the time, the Switch is reigning alone in the dedicated portable gaming market.

AirbusX likes this.
  15. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    that is probably all done automaticaly with an algorythm they have, but like i said they have the rights to protect their ips, sony and microsoft have very low number of impact games that are first party so they dont care too much.

they have been selling more than ps4 every week so yeah they will gain a big advantage in afew years, sure the ps4 sold much more worldwide no one is denying that but in japan the values are those, and switch still has alot of years ahead and if rumors are true ps5 will be 2020 so maybe ps4 has one good year on it, i mean they are skipping E3 and such so not much to show imo, probably busy doing next gen games and finishing the ps5 hardware and software for next year.

16. NFates

NFates Wants to understand™

Mar 13, 2016
    Dominican Republic
    Probably home.
    But will it pass the Xbox One japanese sales? :tpi:

Essasetic likes this.
  17. Purple_Shyguy

Purple_Shyguy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 8, 2008
    Republic of Ireland
    Before even a first price cut
    Before a new model
    Before Dragon Quest
    Before a "real" Pokémon
    Before Animal Crossing

Wow.

Dartz150, DarthDub, jt_1258 and 5 others like this.
  18. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Maniac

May 28, 2015
    I couldnt give two fucks on how many a console sells, nintendo usually always dominate in japan.

But lets not kid ourselves here, nintendo are still failing to keep its promise yet again to improve better third party support.

Id rather see a console sell slow but get the games worth playing.

I cant find a single aaa title thats a must have for the switch that isnt a port from the ps3/360 or even ps2.

And why would i rebuy and pay more for it when i already own it or can buy its original release far cheaper.

My switch only gets used as a means to emulate retro systems, even that i have full access to any switch rom i dont find any worth bothering to download.

TheMrIron2, AirbusX and coppertj like this.
  19. Lazyboss

Lazyboss GBAtemp Fan

Sep 26, 2017
    United Arab Emirates
    One of the biggest reason why the switch sold so much is because of CFW, many people own 2 switches for that.
    Selling more doesn't mean it's superior, the PS4 is far better than the switch.
    I only play on my switch in the toilet these days.

Torina likes this.