The Nintendo Switch has overtaken the sales of the PlayStation 4, in Japan

5b48c98c5ea108a4298b45f9.png

The Nintendo Switch continues to be nothing short of amazing, when it comes to sales, breaking tons of records in multiple countries ever since its 2017 launch. As of May 2019, the Switch has made another landmark achievement, in overtaking the PlayStation 4's sales in both company's homeland of Japan. The Nintendo Switch now sits at 8,125,637 sales, while the PS4 is just a tad less, clocking in at 8,077,766. What makes this even more impressive, is that the PS4 launched far before the Switch ever did, with the former having released on Feb. 22, 2014, and the latter on Mar. 3, 2017.

On a global scale, the PlayStation 4 still reigns supreme, at 91 million units shipped, and the Switch at 34 million.

:arrow: Source

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'm torn apart.
One part of me doesn't like Sony products, and I don't want their PS4 to reign as the supreme console of this gen. And the other part of me feels fucking disgusted that Nintendo is gaining momentum quickly with the Switch, given how fucking greedy they are and how bad they are to their fanbases.
Then again, the latter can be said for Sony too :P

Last edited by ShadowOne333,

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I'm torn apart.
One part of me doesn't like Sony products, and I don't want their PS4 to reign as the supreme console of this gen. And the other part of me feels fucking disgusted that Nintendo is gaining momentum quickly with the Swtich, given how fucking greedy they are and how bad they are to their fanbases.
?? nintendo is as greedy as any other videogame company lol i dont see what they do that is greedy that sony and microsoft dont do themselves imo.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm torn apart.
One part of me doesn't like Sony products, and I don't want their PS4 to reign as the supreme console of this gen. And the other part of me feels fucking disgusted that Nintendo is gaining momentum quickly with the Swtich, given how fucking greedy they are and how bad they are to their fanbases.
All of them are greedy. They only care about one thing, and that's to make money.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Their greed wouldn't be an issue if they didn't threat their fanbase and their creations as heresy to their name and brand.
protecting their ips is not being greedy, they have every legal right, the reason you dont see sony or microsoft doing this is because how many fan games do you see being based on halo or god of war ?

KnightOfRoses

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
protecting their ips is not being greedy, they have every legal right, the reason you dont see sony or microsoft doing this is because how many fan games do you see being based on halo or god of war ?

It's not only fan games, Big N is pretty harsh on youtubers as well, sometimes only a soundtrack is enough to get you cease and desist order.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
It's not only fan games, Big N is pretty harsh on youtubers as well, sometimes only a soundtrack is enough to get you cease and desist order.
^That.
Fangames is not the only example.
Nintendo shuts down almost any kind of reference to any of their IPs, including the likes of them, even sounds. I am amazed we can even talk about them without them C&Ds our asses to lawyers.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
that is probably all done automaticaly with an algorythm they have, but like i said they have the rights to protect their ips, sony and microsoft have very low number of impact games that are first party so they dont care too much.

Big deal. They sold 47,871 more in Japan only. Switch is still behind by 57 million worldwide.
they have been selling more than ps4 every week so yeah they will gain a big advantage in afew years, sure the ps4 sold much more worldwide no one is denying that but in japan the values are those, and switch still has alot of years ahead and if rumors are true ps5 will be 2020 so maybe ps4 has one good year on it, i mean they are skipping E3 and such so not much to show imo, probably busy doing next gen games and finishing the ps5 hardware and software for next year.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I couldnt give two fucks on how many a console sells, nintendo usually always dominate in japan.

But lets not kid ourselves here, nintendo are still failing to keep its promise yet again to improve better third party support.

Id rather see a console sell slow but get the games worth playing.

I cant find a single aaa title thats a must have for the switch that isnt a port from the ps3/360 or even ps2.

And why would i rebuy and pay more for it when i already own it or can buy its original release far cheaper.

My switch only gets used as a means to emulate retro systems, even that i have full access to any switch rom i dont find any worth bothering to download.

Lazyboss

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
One of the biggest reason why the switch sold so much is because of CFW, many people own 2 switches for that.
Selling more doesn't mean it's superior, the PS4 is far better than the switch.
I only play on my switch in the toilet these days.

Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr