The Nintendo Switch has overtaken the sales of the PlayStation 4, in Japan

5b48c98c5ea108a4298b45f9.png

The Nintendo Switch continues to be nothing short of amazing, when it comes to sales, breaking tons of records in multiple countries ever since its 2017 launch. As of May 2019, the Switch has made another landmark achievement, in overtaking the PlayStation 4's sales in both company's homeland of Japan. The Nintendo Switch now sits at 8,125,637 sales, while the PS4 is just a tad less, clocking in at 8,077,766. What makes this even more impressive, is that the PS4 launched far before the Switch ever did, with the former having released on Feb. 22, 2014, and the latter on Mar. 3, 2017.

On a global scale, the PlayStation 4 still reigns supreme, at 91 million units shipped, and the Switch at 34 million.

:arrow: Source

Essasetic

General Spectator
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
One of the biggest reason why the switch sold so much is because of CFW, many people own 2 switches for that.
Selling more doesn't mean it's superior, the PS4 is far better than the switch.
I only play on my switch in the toilet these days.
No? Only a minority of users use CFW or even know about it. Doesn't make up the majority otherwise software would be selling like shit on the switch.

Reactions: Pleng and Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Before even a first price cut
Before a new model
Before Dragon Quest
Before a "real" Pokémon
Before Animal Crossing

Wow.
Yeah, upcoming software alone will move another 35 million units easily. And then another 35 mil from new hardware revisions. PS4 and Switch will both be right around Wii numbers by the end of their respective life cycles.

Sylvaire99

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
One of the biggest reason why the switch sold so much is because of CFW, many people own 2 switches for that.
Selling more doesn't mean it's superior, the PS4 is far better than the switch.
I only play on my switch in the toilet these days.

People buy the Switch to play Mario Kart/Mario Party/Smash Bros/Zelda, I'd say CFW enthusiasts represent less than one customer in ten thousand.
Switch is still early in its life cycle compared to the PS4 but it already has many more games worth playing. After 6 years there are two good games on PS4: Bloodborne and Gravity Rush.

Lazyboss

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
Gravity Rush? Seriously?
Half of the good games on the switch already played them on the WiiU, now what the switch have? Xenoblade and Mario Odyssey, the rest are either ports or the same simi ports with updates.

And yes because of CFW the switch sold a lot, how many people got banned and how many owned 2 switches for that, how many brought it and leave it to collect dust.
Imagine the switch is not portable, do you think it will sell? No, because the PC and PS4 is better and have quality games.
The switch is good for those who are new to video games, but not for me who played most of those games years ago on other consoles.

Reactions: teamlocust

Essasetic

General Spectator
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
And yes because of CFW the switch sold a lot, how many people got banned and how many owned 2 switches for that, how many brought it and leave it to collect dust.
By that definition then the OG Xbox should've flown off the shelves with it's incredible support for CFW and especially homebrew. But it didn't did it? I'll say this again. CFW users makes up a very small minority of users. There are around 32 million switches in the wild and I'd say 2/32 at the very most are CFW users (or 1/16). Please stop acting like CFW practically saved the switch because it didn't. It sold very well at launch, rest of 2017 and early 2018 before CFW even came out.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I cant find a single aaa title thats a must have for the switch that isnt a port from the ps3/360 or even ps2
Mortal Kombat 11 & Doom Eternal (when it comes out) would like to have a few words with you.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By that definition then the OG Xbox should've flown off the shelves with it's incredible support for CFW and especially homebrew. But it didn't did it? I'll say this again. CFW users makes up a very small minority of users. There are around 32 million switches in the wild and I'd say 2/32 at the very most are CFW users (or 1/16). Please stop acting like CFW practically saved the switch because it didn't. It sold very well at launch, rest of 2017 and early 2018 before CFW even came out.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Mortal Kombat 11 & Doom Eternal (when it comes out) would like to have a few words with you.

Mk 11 isnt really an aaa title, its a rinse repeat beat em up and switch version is pretty crap in comparrison.

Doom eternal already confirmed will not be equal to the ps4/xbx1 versions, again switch is going to be done by a dumbed down.

But i think you missed my point maybe should have made it clear. Aaa titles that arent also dumbed down inferior versions.

Yes i know how now nintendo fans will be off that graphic wagon, you know the one they were all on when it was cube v ps2, then retardedly wii u v ps3.

But yea also the fact it was hacked very early on will help sales, but still japan always sees nintendo good.

Console sales mean fuck all, proof shows it, nintendo sales are doing good but its still lacking the titles to play.

Techjunky90

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everyone is missing the facts. Nintendo switch sales mean absolutely nothing. Why do they mean nothing? The switch is a next gen console no matter how you try to rationalize it. You're comparing next gen sales to current gen sales. Nintendo Wii U lost current gen, these are the facts. Nintendo Switch is not in competition with Microsoft Xbox One or Sony PlayStation 4, it's in competition with consoles that have not even released yet.

Lazyboss

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
You didn't get my point, CFW alone didn't save the switch, I even said it's one of the reasons they sold a lot, the other reasons are portability, next generation console, Nintendo's fans.
But for AAA games? No. Nintendo's games are basically the same, the others AAA games are just ports, kids these days just want the switch just because it's cool, the same kids who think BOTW is the best game ever made, clearly they didn't play any of Zelda's games.
Sure I got mine just to play Odyssey and XC2 but that's it, the other games just to play with my kids and I'm sure I won't be bother to play them alone, most of the time on PC or PS4 while the switch just for the toilet.
At the end each one of us have different taste, but the fact still the PS4 have more quality games than Switch.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People buy the Switch to play Mario Kart/Mario Party/Smash Bros/Zelda, I'd say CFW enthusiasts represent less than one customer in ten thousand.
Switch is still early in its life cycle compared to the PS4 but it already has many more games worth playing. After 6 years there are two good games on PS4: Bloodborne and Gravity Rush.
Did you play Horizon? I wonder if you would like that game?

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
i'm amazed it is though half the games on the ps4 are them shitty weeb ports from steam and they WUV DAT shit in japan! other than that ps4 really only has one good game and that's dragon quest the rest are ports that play better on the PC. oh what about kh3 you say? yeah don't even get me started on how much of a failure that was!

Last edited by Bladexdsl,
D

Deleted User

Nintendo Switch....Ha, you mean the Portable Dreamcast ?
Sure it's popular, SEGA is finally back ! :creep:

It was forseen at 0.55 in this japanese archive :

Last edited by ,

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everyone is missing the facts. Nintendo switch sales mean absolutely nothing. Why do they mean nothing? The switch is a next gen console no matter how you try to rationalize it. You're comparing next gen sales to current gen sales. Nintendo Wii U lost current gen, these are the facts. Nintendo Switch is not in competition with Microsoft Xbox One or Sony PlayStation 4, it's in competition with consoles that have not even released yet.

When PS2 is still the best-selling console ever by a mile, cross-generational comparisons do in fact matter.

You can expect PS5 to do even worse in Japan anyway, even in a world without the Switch. TV tied gaming is just plain on the way out there.

Essasetic

General Spectator
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You didn't get my point, CFW alone didn't save the switch, I even said it's one of the reasons they sold a lot, the other reasons are portability, next generation console, Nintendo's fans.
But for AAA games? No. Nintendo's games are basically the same, the others AAA games are just ports, kids these days just want the switch just because it's cool, the same kids who think BOTW is the best game ever made, clearly they didn't play any of Zelda's games.
Sure I got mine just to play Odyssey and XC2 but that's it, the other games just to play with my kids and I'm sure I won't be bother to play them alone, most of the time on PC or PS4 while the switch just for the toilet.
At the end each one of us have different taste, but the fact still the PS4 have more quality games than Switch.
You missed my point about the minority of users even knowing about CFW. You also completely missed the point that if CFW was well known then software sales would be absolute shit.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
nintendo doesnt follow the gens logics becuase mid ps5 gen there will be a switch 2 so ever since the wii nintendo releases consoles mid gen so you cant call them next or previous gen becuase they arent following the gen dates like sony/microsoft.

so yeah switch is this gen becuase when ps5 is like 3 years there will be a new switch or even sooner who knows.

AirbusX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know why people are surprised. The market in Japan is quite different than westerns', they always loved portables, the public transportation system there allows that, lack of space in their houses, etc. Who cares they sell more there, plus you cannot compare the Switch with the PS4! It's just another story for the Nintendo fanboys.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: :discuss: