The MediEvil remake for PlayStation 4 now has a demo available on the PlayStation Store

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Sep 24, 2019.

Front-page
    0p2gXQt.

Released shortly after today's State of Play stream, and following the major reveal of The Last of Us: Part II's release date, is a demo for MediEvil. Available now on the PlayStation Store is a timed demo, letting players get a glimpse of the game's remaster. Titled the "Short-Lived Demo", you'll be able to download the demo until October 7th. If you decide to play it, the official PlayStation Blog advises you to keep an eye out for a special item near the start, as grabbing it and completing the demo will award you with an "extra challenge" when the full game launches, on October 25, 2019.

:arrow: Source

Discussion (18 replies)
  1. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Ooh. Might have to free up some hard drive space on the PS4 for this one.

While I thought the original was awesome it did not age well even during the PS1 (the controls... yeah) so I am intensely curious to see what goes here.

2. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    I want to try it but borderlands 3 says no :lol:

3. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    Oh I might play the original on my trusty PS1 once I get some free time.

4. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Finally a reason to dust off the PS4 in 2019. Downloading now.

focusonme likes this.
  5. D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R Nephilim

Dec 6, 2008
    United States
    Such silliness. ;)

6. Xzi

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    I've still been catching up on previous exclusives, but 2019 has been a pretty slow year for the system. I'm mildly interested in Death Stranding, and MediEvil seems decent, but that's it. Seems like Switch is winning the console race in 2019, but PS4 is gonna have a more loaded release schedule in 2020.

digipimp75 likes this.
  7. D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R Nephilim

Dec 6, 2008
    United States
    You're right. Sometimes I forget how long ago most of the PS4 exclusives came out.

Xzi likes this.
  8. Plstic

Plstic Guru Meditation Error

Apr 21, 2010
    United States
    Milwaukee WI
    Unsurprisingly it runs like crap.

9. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Not helpful mayb be mor specific

10. Plstic

Apr 21, 2010
    United States
    Milwaukee WI
    In some areas the FPS drops below 30.

Xzi likes this.
  11. Xzi

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Wow that was a stupidly short demo, and yeah, performance was kinda bad. Also it seemingly wouldn't let me download the helmet you're supposed to get in the beginning? Regardless, I'm not really sold on it considering they didn't even let you see what the first boss fight would be like. Not surprising that the game is launching at $30.

Last edited by Xzi, Sep 25, 2019
    focusonme likes this.
  12. shaunj66

shaunj66 Administrator

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    United Kingdom
    South England
    It's shocking that this game isn't a locked 60fps. That should really have been the target.

Jmbenetti likes this.
  13. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    Seriously it got framedrops? FFS!

14. digipimp75

digipimp75 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 16, 2014
    United States
    Yikes. Are you running it on a Pro?

15. Plstic

Apr 21, 2010
    United States
    Milwaukee WI
    Nope, Just the base model.

16. BraveDragonWolf

BraveDragonWolf Member

Newcomer
    May 5, 2015
    United States
    Anyone notice that the title has a rhyme?

17. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I was all set to offer apologies to the morse code operator that I can only assume is somewhere in my internet connection's path, however this... this might need a box of chocolates. Some 11 gigs for something that short... I was at least hoping for a mini boss or something.

Anyway so I played it. Somewhat more polished than the original in various areas, but it has been way too long since I played it to even contemplate a side by side thing. I don't know if the art style is something I especially dig (almost feels like someone copying but missing what made an original thing work) but I can appreciate the effort and stands out a bit in the current sea of blandness. Level design if the graveyard section was anything to go by was straight out of the 90s as well, which could be a good thing, but if they did the "you design the first level last once you know the engine" then eh. Voice work and writing for things there was great (if you liked the recent King's Quest game then you should be right at home) and while I won't be able to hum you any music despite it being less than 15 minutes since I turned it off it is not yet another boring orchestral thing. For whatever reason the opening sequence does not allude any to the main character's background in life (mentioned elsewhere) but that was an odd choice*.

Combat. Don't go in expecting either modern Ninja Gaiden or Dark Souls, Ninety Nine Nights might even be a stretch, but it was functional I guess (the jump attack doing well). Enemies feel a bit cheap but health is plentiful enough, and that is probably supposed to encourage you to block or use ranged.

"the official PlayStation Blog advises you to keep an eye out for a special item near the start, as grabbing it and completing the demo will award you with an "extra challenge" when the full game launches"
    Spoilers I guess, or at least for something you see during the start sequence of the opening level). It is an item called Dan's helmet. Basically a hard mode equip, not something I am sure I would gate off but OK. I played through once with hard mode and once with it for the last half of the demo... you could come unstuck using it but I will have to see a boss first before declaring anything there.

Game has some potential, as a throwback if nothing else, but the demo itself was not great (far too little content). If somewhat standalone demos predominantly featuring zombies are what I am comparing to then Dead Rising 2's Case Zero is nowhere near being beaten. In fact Dead Rising combat level (albeit with far fewer equips) is probably about right for a comparison.

*spoilers for the background of the game. If you pay even the slightest bit of attention you will read it in the demo and it is probably in every plot synopsis ever but for the sake of those that care.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Zense likes this.
  18. stephrk398

stephrk398 GBAtemp Fan

May 29, 2018
    United States
    Only major FPS drops that occur are when you stand on rejuvenation fountains. Other than that performance is fine imo.