The original Resident Evil is now available on GOG with RE2 and RE3 coming later

GQ_HYYDXcAAhtu8.jpeg

For years, if not decades, fans of the Resident Evil series have been clamoring for a modern re-release of the original Resident Evil trilogy, the classic games that started it all. The first three games from the franchise got proper remakes, and the remakes are available on a multitude of platforms. However, the original and beloved games were still unavailable (other than selected games on the PlayStation Store), until today.

GOG (formerly known as Good Old Games) announced today through their social media accounts the re-release for PC of the original Resident Evil game from 1996. This announcement comes without any previous news about the game coming to PC at all, being shadowdropped at the very moment of its release on the digital platform.

Resident Evil 1 on GOG comes with full compatibility for Windows 10 and 11, support for 4 languages (English, German, French and Japanese), an improved DirectX renderer, new rendering options, improved timings for cutscenes, improved video player, support for modern controllers, completely free of any DRM, and with the full uncensored content that the original RE1 was so elusive to include in a whole package, and all of these for the measly price of $5 USD.

Not only that, but GOG also announced that both Resident Evil 2 (1998) and Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1999) will also be available on GOG at a later date, with both featuring the same level of features, be it Windows 10/11 compatibility, better video and audio playback, Spanish and Italian added as additional languages (including the 4 already present in RE1), modern controller support, DirectX rendering, etc. RE2 will have both the Tofu and 4th Survivor modes unlocked from the start,

It's still unknown whether or not this classic RE trilogy bundle will make its jump from GOG into Steam, since there hasn't been any official confirmation on the matter.

Additionally, it's worth noting that, apparently, these PC ports are all based on the original SourceNext ports from back in the day, and while this port of RE1 isn't compatible with the Classic Rebirth mod(s) out of the box, according to people online, if the user downloads the 1.01 patch for the Japanese version of the port from the SourceNext versions and implements the patch this port, the port will now effectively be compatible with Classic Rebirth. It still remains to be seen whether or not the RE2 and RE3 ports will also be compatible with Classic Rebirth.

:arrow: Resident Evil (1996) on GOG
:arrow: Resident Evil 2 (1998) on GOG
:arrow: Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1999) on GOG
:arrow: Resident Evil Bundle on GOG

KibaOokami

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
:toot:

Dino Crisis next please Capcom/GOG.
Haven't seen it listed here, but if you buy the specific version (Mediacom or Sourcenext. Not sure)versions of RE1/2/3 from when it first came out on PC in Japan, you'll be able to add HD cutscene videos, add in upressed textures (its a start) and it has it for Resident Evil 1,2,3 and Dino Crisis 1/2
https://classicrebirth.com/index.php/downloads/resident-evil-classic-rebirth/
These might work on them to add it to these releases, hopefully.

And for you especially

https://classicrebirth.com/index.php/dino-crisis-classic-rebirth/
https://classicrebirth.com/index.php/dino-crisis-2-classic-rebirth/

Reactions: Armadillo

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A lot understandably prefer Steam for everything, but GOG is DRM-free so it's actually the best PC gaming store. I'll buy on discount even if I don't end up playing.

Reactions: Payne

sKoMo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Dear Capcom please, slap these three classics on a cartridge and make a "Classic Collection" for the Switch. I'll happy to have this in my collection!

P.s. Code Veronica X too....

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I came across this on GOG's website earlier this morning. Corny 90's themed horror videos alongside their tropes never gets old especially coming from the original Resident Evil. "That was too close... You were almost a Jill sandwich" (in my Barry voice), lol 😅😆😂

fate6

Haha, I killed a Pumpkin!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah yeah I'm aware, it's just that I do all my gaming on my Steam Deck nowadays, so that's why I was hoping it'd be on Steam rather than GOG, but I'll still purchase the GOG versions either way. I only wish the RE2 port had some of the other ports features implemented into it rather than just being a straight up port of the PC version (based on the PSX one). I hope we can one day see the Nightmare mode and EX Files make it into this version.

Its pretty simple to run GOG games on the steam deck, Heroic handles most things regarding running windows games on linux/steam deck and has a "add to steam" option that will add a non steam game then setup its art and logos so it should look nice when in game mode.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Its pretty simple to run GOG games on the steam deck, Heroic handles most things regarding running windows games on linux/steam deck and has a "add to steam" option that will add a non steam game then setup its art and logos so it should look nice when in game mode.
It's not as simple with these it seems, as I've been having issues getting it to work on Steam, also it seems Classic Rebirth does work with this release, but haven't gotten it to work on Deck either

Payne

Trophies
XP
Country
Georgia
A lot understandably prefer Steam for everything, but GOG is DRM-free so it's actually the best PC gaming store. I'll buy on discount even if I don't end up playing.
I used to use steam primarily, but once I realized just how much DRM free means for gaming, I moved to GOG to support an idea I believe in. Once I started using it however, immediately fell in love with it, and now I enjoy using GOG galaxy client more than Steam actually (even if it weren't for DRM free gaming).

Also, not sure how well known this is, but you can link both Steam and Epic games to GOG and see/manage and play games from all the platforms through one client. I love this feature because I can see all of games from one client, which makes picking game to play when i'm bored a breeze

Necron

Lurking~
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
EX Files got added?
I haven't heard anything about that lately. Nightmare Mode surely I haven't heard of either for Classic Rebirth, do you have a link?

I remember Gemini tweeting about it some time ago, even looked up the tweet and you replied as well 😅. I guess it was either a mod or never got released.

It's not as simple with these it seems, as I've been having issues getting it to work on Steam, also it seems Classic Rebirth does work with this release, but haven't gotten it to work on Deck either

Got it working on the deck last night, except on windows (the classic rebirth page states, for now, Linux is not compatible).

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Steam can be DRM free as well.

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/List_of_DRM-free_games_on_Steam
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Big_List_of_DRM-Free_Games_on_Steam

I'm playing Psychonauts at the moment (drm free on steam) and you can launch it through Steam and get all the normal Steam stuff (playtime tracking, cards, controller support and so on) or you can just not bother with Steam, leave it closed if you want and just launch directly from the exe.

Best of both worlds.

Nothing to stop Capcom doing the same if it gets released on Steam.

Reactions: 64bitmodels

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Got it working on the deck last night, except on windows (the classic rebirth page states, for now, Linux is not compatible).

What did you do to make it work?
I currently have an error saying "Failed to initialize the DirectX" when trying to boot it with Classic Rebirth + Seamless HD Project installed.

I haven't gotten it to boot at all.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hm... I'd like to get this. Too bad the third does nothing for me. Coming after two without any substantial upgrade kinda made me bored of it.

And it's a kind of pricy pack. I'll wait for a deal.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its good to see the good old games coming to a platform where its not priced at a ridiculous price.

Back when gaming was good, when gaming was about gamers/game devs that loved playing games and wanted to come up with the next crazy idea to push gaming further.

Now games are made by slaves forced to do as their employer says, which is controlled by greedy share holders that have more money than sense, but ruin gaming by re hashing the same shit each year.

The quality goes down, but the price sky rockets.

Kids these days would probably laugh when you say games used to launch at £29.99 and they'd come complete with rewards you'd earn from playing the game, none of this paid for dlc or GOTY, Collectors Digital Edition.

Which makes me laugh, how can anything digital be called a collectors or limited edition, usually these would mean they're a special version for collectors that are unique and in time be valued more.

Digital content is worth fuck all, you own fuck all, you basically pay stupid amounts of money for a sodding Hall pass, but they still pull that content at any given time with or without your say so.

Just wish idiots didn't keep buying all this digital shit, giving the greedy publishers another excuse to cut costs to make more profit and have everything digital.

What value would their be in trading your old console if it has no games to play...

Y'all enjoyed been bent over and shafted..... microfans will see it sooner than later when ms wanted to block pre owned gaming, this is plan b and hits the nail on the head.

RetroNerdGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just had to, it was too good to let it pass and I really wanted to show support to Capcom for bringing these ports up front.
Oh and Silent Hill 4 is there just because it's the only other Silent Hill available on digital stores other than Homecoming lol (I already have Homecoming on Steam, if only 2 and 3 were on any of the two, I'd have those for sure)

View attachment 444127
Wait what the fuck, SH4 is on GOG? Is it still there or?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Hi @SylverReZ +1