The MediEvil remake for PlayStation 4 now has a demo available on the PlayStation Store

0p2gXQt.png

Released shortly after today's State of Play stream, and following the major reveal of The Last of Us: Part II's release date, is a demo for MediEvil. Available now on the PlayStation Store is a timed demo, letting players get a glimpse of the game's remaster. Titled the "Short-Lived Demo", you'll be able to download the demo until October 7th. If you decide to play it, the official PlayStation Blog advises you to keep an eye out for a special item near the start, as grabbing it and completing the demo will award you with an "extra challenge" when the full game launches, on October 25, 2019.

:arrow: Source

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ooh. Might have to free up some hard drive space on the PS4 for this one.

While I thought the original was awesome it did not age well even during the PS1 (the controls... yeah) so I am intensely curious to see what goes here.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Such silliness. ;)
I've still been catching up on previous exclusives, but 2019 has been a pretty slow year for the system. I'm mildly interested in Death Stranding, and MediEvil seems decent, but that's it. Seems like Switch is winning the console race in 2019, but PS4 is gonna have a more loaded release schedule in 2020.

Reactions: digipimp75

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've still been catching up on previous exclusives, but 2019 has been a pretty slow year for the system. I'm mildly interested in Death Stranding, and MediEvil seems decent, but that's it. Seems like Switch is winning the console race in 2019, but PS4 is gonna have a more loaded release schedule in 2020.

You're right. Sometimes I forget how long ago most of the PS4 exclusives came out.

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Wow that was a stupidly short demo, and yeah, performance was kinda bad. Also it seemingly wouldn't let me download the helmet you're supposed to get in the beginning? Regardless, I'm not really sold on it considering they didn't even let you see what the first boss fight would be like. Not surprising that the game is launching at $30.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: focusonme

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was all set to offer apologies to the morse code operator that I can only assume is somewhere in my internet connection's path, however this... this might need a box of chocolates. Some 11 gigs for something that short... I was at least hoping for a mini boss or something.

Anyway so I played it. Somewhat more polished than the original in various areas, but it has been way too long since I played it to even contemplate a side by side thing. I don't know if the art style is something I especially dig (almost feels like someone copying but missing what made an original thing work) but I can appreciate the effort and stands out a bit in the current sea of blandness. Level design if the graveyard section was anything to go by was straight out of the 90s as well, which could be a good thing, but if they did the "you design the first level last once you know the engine" then eh. Voice work and writing for things there was great (if you liked the recent King's Quest game then you should be right at home) and while I won't be able to hum you any music despite it being less than 15 minutes since I turned it off it is not yet another boring orchestral thing. For whatever reason the opening sequence does not allude any to the main character's background in life (mentioned elsewhere) but that was an odd choice*.

Combat. Don't go in expecting either modern Ninja Gaiden or Dark Souls, Ninety Nine Nights might even be a stretch, but it was functional I guess (the jump attack doing well). Enemies feel a bit cheap but health is plentiful enough, and that is probably supposed to encourage you to block or use ranged.

"the official PlayStation Blog advises you to keep an eye out for a special item near the start, as grabbing it and completing the demo will award you with an "extra challenge" when the full game launches"
Spoilers I guess, or at least for something you see during the start sequence of the opening level). It is an item called Dan's helmet. Basically a hard mode equip, not something I am sure I would gate off but OK. I played through once with hard mode and once with it for the last half of the demo... you could come unstuck using it but I will have to see a boss first before declaring anything there.

Game has some potential, as a throwback if nothing else, but the demo itself was not great (far too little content). If somewhat standalone demos predominantly featuring zombies are what I am comparing to then Dead Rising 2's Case Zero is nowhere near being beaten. In fact Dead Rising combat level (albeit with far fewer equips) is probably about right for a comparison.

*spoilers for the background of the game. If you pay even the slightest bit of attention you will read it in the demo and it is probably in every plot synopsis ever but for the sake of those that care.
Your character went down in history as a hero but in reality fell at the first arrow. Prior to that he had talked himself up beyond his abilities while availing himself of the finer things in life. This game then being something of a redemption arc.

Reactions: Zense

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night