Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
zelda_thumb.jpg
QUOTE said:
In addition to new games like Rune Factory 4, this week’s Famitsu magazine also had a few details on The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. Zelda series producer, Eiji Aonuma, confirmed speculation that the Zelda in Skyward Sword is not royalty — Zelda and Link in this game are childhood friends, and Zelda disappears during the game, as depicted in this trailer.

“This game’s plot is something like a school drama, you could say," Aonuma told Famitsu, according to a report at 1UP. “The flying sequence at the E3 demo is Link competing against his classmates. One of them looks kind of a like a bad guy, as you saw, and he shows up in other ways in the game too, since he has a major thing for Zelda.”

Interesting, Aonuma also drew comparisons to The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask. This also ties in with the game’s school theme. “Like with Majora, there are a lot of game events involving the townspeople that get intertwined with the main story,” Aonuma revealed. “Link, Zelda and their other friends all go to the same boarding school, and you’ve got teachers and a principal as well. It’s a bit of a different setting from previous Zeldas.”

As you would expect, the game also ties in to Ocarina of Time. Amongst other things, the origin of the Master Sword is revealed in Skyward Sword. Aonuma says that, moving on from Ocarina of Time to this game, fans would notice a lot of connections between the two.
arrow.gif
Source

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For fuck's sake, just put Link in some village, bad shit happens, he leaves and beats up baddies. I don't want a whole school-related plot, honestly. Well, I don't consider Zelda games to be largely plot involved.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
What is it with the modern world's obsession with schools in entertainment, but not as a place of learning? If this unhealthy focus on school was making kids actually study then I'd be all for it, but people are getting thicker by the day so it just disturbs me. Think about it. Anime (pick one of the millions, you can't really miss), games (even DOA has a seemingly unnecessary 'school' section in), movies (Harry Potter, Twilight, etc), everything lately seems to revolve around teen school drama.

Also, give it maybe ten minutes and I'm willing to bet the school screenshots will be all over the net with Pedobear in the background.

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like an interesting take twist.I like the idea of something new; and I LOVED the way Majora's Mask flowed, and how instead of TONS of generic characters, there were several main ones.

It's also one of the things I preferred in MOTHER 3 over MOTHER 2; how you form attachment and become more intimate with a set of characters instead of dealing with tons of no name fools.

Let's hope they execute it well.
happy.gif

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
For fuck's sake, just put Link in some village, bad shit happens, he leaves and beats up baddies. I don't want a whole school-related plot, honestly. Well, I don't consider Zelda games to be largely plot involved.
I didn't either until I played I found out about the timeline. Now I can't deny that the Zelda series has one of the best, most confusing story lines I've ever seen.

Also, since Wind Waker they've been getting better.

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
Guild McCommunist said:
I didn't either until I played I found out about the timeline. Now I can't deny that the Zelda series has one of the best, most confusing story lines I've ever seen.

Wait... hold on, WHEN did they confirm there is in fact a timeline?
unsure.gif

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Schlupi said:
machomuu said:
Guild McCommunist said:

Wait... hold on, WHEN did they confirm there is in fact a timeline?
unsure.gif

There's no timeline. Nintendo says they have one but honestly the trained monkeys who write these stories are obviously retarded and don't know what the word "continuity" means. The stories themselves are bare bones "oh noes save the princess" or "oh noes beat the bad guy" with little character development outside of Link going from not fighting things to fighting things (which happens within the first hour of the game) and the plot is still basically just "Link kills bosses, Link kills big boss, the end".

It doesn't stop them from being fantastic games, but the plots are nothing to be remembered.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
You can say that for every game, Guild.

I like trying to follow the story.

What you expect Zelda to do anyway? Go GOW + COD = something style?
laugh.gif

There's a difference. Most games have a basic plot of good vs. evil or saving someone important but more stuff goes on than that. Like character development. You play a game like Mass Effect (yes, I'm comparing Mass Effect to Zelda) which is a basic "save the world" story (Reapers are trying to fuck shit up) but more happens in the span from beginning to end.

Zelda has always been about bare bones plot and character development but has been critically acclaimed for its gameplay. It's like trying to expect a deep plot out of Super Mario games. You shouldn't expect anything and there's nothing wrong with that.

EDIT: Reply to your edit:

I don't expect them to do anything, just keep it the same its always been. Why do you think it's been scoring usually around the 90% range ever since the N64 days? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Feels Good Man

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
TDWP FTW said:
Great...Well, I know which Zelda game I'm not playing.

What's next, a Zelda game with an incest arc and giant tentacle monsters? *sigh*

Obviously she's not going to be royalty and this will be something where everyone is a commoner. This is an origin game and it would be very interesting how Zelda became royalty, how the Master Sword came to be and the likes.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
I hate to say I told you so, but...

268962_10150230745492530_768152529_7225056_1682097_n.jpg

It's all going wrong.

Sorry for the crappy quality, that's the best I could get out of MS Paint 'cause I don't have Photoshop.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TDWP FTW said:
Guild McCommunist said:
Zelda has always been about bare bones plot and character development
Yeah, no. The character development isn't as great as say an actual RPG, but it's in no way barebones. Go play Majora's Mask, and try saying the same thing.

I did play Majora's Mask and I didn't notice anything special about the character development. He's pretty much identical to his character in Ocarina of Time, outside of the fact that most of his minor character development happened in the previous game. Maybe I have high expectations.

MaxNuker

GBATemp's Official Shinigami Substitute
Trophies
Website
facebook.com
XP
Country
Portugal
Feels Good Man said:
TDWP FTW said:
Great...Well, I know which Zelda game I'm not playing.

What's next, a Zelda game with an incest arc and giant tentacle monsters? *sigh*

Obviously she's not going to be royalty and this will be something where everyone is a commoner. This is an origin game and it would be very interesting how Zelda became royalty, how the Master Sword came to be and the likes.

Isn't Zelda royalty because her dad is King of Hyrule? xD
At least in Ocarina of Time....

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Guild McCommunist said:
TDWP FTW said:
Guild McCommunist said:
Zelda has always been about bare bones plot and character development
Yeah, no. The character development isn't as great as say an actual RPG, but it's in no way barebones. Go play Majora's Mask, and try saying the same thing.

I did play Majora's Mask and I didn't notice anything special about the character development. He's pretty much identical to his character in Ocarina of Time, outside of the fact that most of his minor character development happened in the previous game. Maybe I have high expectations.
Oh, you were talking about Link.
He has no character development besides growing up, which barely reflects in the game.
It's like talking about the character development of Gordon Freeman.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHNH5pnioQk