"The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap" decomp reaches 100% completion

url.jpg
Another title from the Zelda franchise joins the ranks today for fully decompiled projects, just in time for the holiday season as well.

This time, the title that reached 100% on its decompilation is the GBA title, The Minish Cap, which sees Link going through Hyrule and learning about the Picori and the dark mage, Vaati, who placed a curse on Link.

The decompilation for The Minish Cap has been worked on for several years now, and it has been worked on by the same Zelda decomp team that did the Ocarina of Time decomp, ZeldaRET (or Zelda Reverse Engineering Team), this is also the same team that's also working on the decompilation for Majora's Mask, which is currently around 80% complete.

With this, we could expect a PC port coming soon once people start working out the workings of the decomp to make ports to other systems as well.

:arrow: Source

Spectremint

Trophies
Website
spectremint.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
Huh, a Game Boy Advance game. Curious to see where this goes.
Post automatically merged:

How long do you think this will last before it gets taken down by Nintendo?
De-comps require the original ROM files to function as it pulls the assets from those files, therefore it is legal and Nintendo cannot take them down; this is why the OoT and SM64 decomps still exist

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
How long do you think this will last before it gets taken down by Nintendo?
Decomps can't be taken down since they're 100% original code that generate the same matching binary once compiled back.

The copyrighted assets for the game are taken directly from a source ROM which the user has to provide, the decomp doesn't include any copyrighted assets, hence why Nintendo gets the L here.

DTApple

"I'm a trendy tote bag!"
Trophies
Website
dtapple.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
Decomps can't be taken down since they're 100% original code that generate the same matching binary once compiled back.

The copyrighted assets for the game are taken directly from a source ROM which the user has to provide, the decomp doesn't include any copyrighted assets, hence why Nintendo gets the L here.
I was referring to the yet-to-exist PC port.

Reactions: Phearoz

spkatsi

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Im still waiting for wind Waker and twilight princess 100% decomp. Those old games I can easy emulate on anything

For me the WiiU versions work just fine.

However Majora's Mask is the one I am holding my breath for the decomplication to finish.
Three good reasons:
1) Nerrel's textures that are currently PC only
2) QoL improvements probably will come from Ship of Harkiaan OoT
3) The very recent soundtrack remake that is currently exclusive to the 3DS version

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Minish cap was such a good game, excited to see what wacky hacks/mods come from this

If I ran people magazine, my 2023 person of the year would be "rom decompilers"

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
is there a list somewhere that compiles all of the reverse engineer/decomp projects that have popped up in recent years into a list? would be a great thing to have since i don't keep track of what's currently being worked on or what exists
That would be cool. Like a GUI you could just drag a source rom onto, and it detects which project it belongs to and auto-compiles your game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto