GCN The GameBoy Player and homebrew from just a memory card..?

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Hey hey people.
I am hoping the gamecube forum might have a possible answer on a possibility I thought for a while. I recently heard just from a internet friend that there is way to boot homebrew easily on GameCube using Smash Brothers. Since I have a modded Wii, I could write the exploted save to one of my memory cards; but since I also have a modified Wii, a need for such is minimized to almost none.

One thing I thought though, was to get a gameboy player. It is quite a pricey device to obtain in Europe, if you want to get the european boot disc with it too. Even though I have a freeloader disc, importing a gameboy player that has it's gameboy player disc with the unit is pricey. But obtaining a gameboy player without the disc is quite cheap. I thought maybe I could boot ISO of the gameboy player disc from a memory card but my friend said I would need an SD gecko.
But; I recently did out of curiosity search if someone had made homebrew alternative to gameboy player disc and they had. Extems at GC Forever seems to have released his gameboy player homebrew application in this thread: http://www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2782

So my question here would be: Is it possible to write the needed save file for smash brothers; and then run homebrew just from my memory card alone? Obtaining SD geckos is just a little bit tricky where I live so if it can be done; i would be happy. Especially because I have quite huge 3rd party memory card.

If this is comletely impossible I will search for a SD gecko because even if I need to obtain one I am sure it will still cost less than obtaining a full gameboy player unit with the disc intact.

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Yes, what do you think I made Home Bros. for?
I dunno, it could be anything from world domination to global world peace and cure for ebola. It's that good.

But yeah thanks for answers.
I kinda want to use the original gameboy player disc but I guess GBI is good enough (is it compatible with the gameboy player enhanced games too?)

Last edited by Sumea,

Slaminger

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.battleaxewarriors.net
XP
Country
Canada
Let's necro this thread. I've used 007 and a memory card to boot my Gameboy player, but the questions is, can I add a gb rom to this card directly somehow? My SD card won't arrive for a couple of weeks and it's not reading Mario land cart .but the game is tiny. 64kb

Last edited by Slaminger,

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Let's necro this thread. I've used 007 and a memory card to boot my Gameboy player, but the wuestque is, can I add a gb rom to this card directly somehow? My SD card won't arrive for a couple of weeks and it's not reading Mario land cart .but the game is tiny. 64kb

I think you should have created a new thread, AFAIK you’ll need a flashcart to use ROMs with GBP.

You may want to try cleaning the contacts on the cart with some IPA.

Reactions: MAXLEMPIRA

nitrostemp

Trophies
XP
Country
id would recommend popping open the card and using a cue tip to clean the contacts with rubbing alcohol but if you want to run roms on the cube there is a gba emulator that is based on gbi.

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
So if I use a gba cart like say everdrive, that's the easiest way? I'd rather play on the real hardware, I can emulate gb on lots of other systems, I like the authenticity here. I've even got the link cable and gba to use as a controller.

Almost any gba cart will work, just that their quality varies. Like older Supercards have slowdown in some games.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
So if I use a gba cart like say everdrive, that's the easiest way? I'd rather play on the real hardware, I can emulate gb on lots of other systems, I like the authenticity here. I've even got the link cable and gba to use as a controller.

Afaik in general, for GB games using the native hardware you need a GB cart, for GBA games you need a GBA cart.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up