Need help with file I/O for Gamecube homebrew

GateGuy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a Wii homebrew game that I also ported to Gamecube. It runs fine in Dolphin, except external files (in this case, sound effects and music) are not loading. On Wii, these files would be loaded through, say, sd:/apps/my_game/my_sound.wav, but I don't know the equivalent path for Gamecube, and there's surprisingly little information I could find about Gamecube homebrew. Specifically, I want to load these assets from a Gamecube SD to memory card adapter in slot B. According to some repos of old homebrew apps, the root might be sd:/ or cardb:/, but I don't have any way of testing this. I don't have a Gamecube, I haven't been able to successfully run Gamecube homebrew on my Wii, and I have no Gamecube SD access in Dolphin, so the game runs without the loaded audio.

Basically, what is the best way to save/load external assets in a Gamecube homebrew app; what path should I use? Here's the game in question, which currently attempts to load assets from sd:/Trogdor-RB:
https://github.com/Mode8fx/Trogdor-Reburninated/releases/tag/v2.1

Extrems

GameCube Wizard
Trophies
Website
www.extremscorner.org
XP
Country
Canada
Dolphin doesn't emulate SD cards in SPI mode, so it's impossible to test with it.

The following paths can exist with libogc:
  • carda:/ - for an SD Card Adapter in Memory Slot A
  • cardb:/ - for an SD Card Adapter in Memory Slot B
  • sd:/ - for an SD Card Adapter in Serial Port 2 (SD2SP2)
Additionally with libogc2:
  • dvd:/ - for the GC Loader
Since you're using fatInitDefault(), I suggest using just plain /.
That function will chdir to the first device available (order varies between libogc and libogc2), or the path given in argv[0] if available (it is with the current version of Swiss).

Last edited by Extrems,

GateGuy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dolphin doesn't emulate SD cards in SPI mode, so it's impossible to test with it.

The following paths can exist with libogc:
  • carda:/ - for an SD Card Adapter in Memory Slot A
  • cardb:/ - for an SD Card Adapter in Memory Slot B
  • sd:/ - for an SD Card Adapter in Serial Port 2 (SD2SP2)
Additionally with libogc2:
  • dvd:/ - for the GC Loader
Since you're using fatInitDefault(), I suggest using just plain /.
That function will chdir to the first device available (order varies between libogc and libogc2), or the path given in argv[0] if available (it is with the current version of Swiss).
So just using / would be ideal, and the user's method of running homebrew will take care of pulling from the correct device?

In that case, I recompiled it to set /Trogdor-RB/ as root; do you have a few minutes to run this version with the audio from the release version and see if there's audio? I'd really appreciate it. There should be a "Trogador" voice clip after the instructions menu appears, and music in the Options menu.

Attachments

• boot.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 6

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto