GCN Can I use GC2SD + microSD as a regular GameCube memory card?

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
As the title says. Or do I need an actual memory card? I stumbled upon this comment on reddit, which says:
The sd card adapter is using different interface inside the console than memory cards use. It's either one or the other and can't be both. And with the adapter you mention it is only for use with homebrew. Can not be used as memory card.

I've recently purchased a previously unmodified GameCube and right now I'm looking into buying some things in order to run homebrew on it. One of those things are GC2SD card adapter. I'd like to use one for storing boot.cgi and hacked save file and the other one for the actual saves, if possible. I've found that official memory cards with 59 and 251 blocks are available locally, so I might get those if GC2SD + microSD can't be used as a regular memory card on GameCube. Though, those don't really have much space so maybe I should check unofficial ones? Which one should I get?

Thank you for your time.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yes, a GC memory card is not an SD card even though both are SPI-based mass storage devices connected to the EXI bus :)

Recent versions of Swiss do have virtual memory cards (subject to compatibility), though I prefer using a real, name-brand memory card, so in theory if you have an IPL chip like the PicoBoot or the Kunai, you may not need a memory card at all!

Reactions: Blythe93

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Yes, a GC memory card is not an SD card even though both are SPI-based mass storage devices connected to the EXI bus :)
I see. Too bad, I guess. Thanks for the reply. ^^
Recent versions of Swiss do have virtual memory cards (subject to compatibility), though I prefer using a real, name-brand memory card, so in theory if you have an IPL chip like the PicoBoot or the Kunai, you may not need a memory card at all!
That's sounds interesting. ^^ I've already ordered a Raspberry Pi Pico board that I'll use on my GameCube so I guess I'll wait and see how it goes. But I'll definitely get an original 251 blocks card as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: Pretty sure anyone buying the switch just for that got duped