"The Device Inserted in the SD Card Slot can't be used" error pops up in DSI when inserting a microSD adapter in the SD Card slot

cxclarke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
Hello all,

I have bought a new microSD card with SD card adapter for use in my DSI homebrew. I was planning on installing TwilightMenu on it and run my games but unfortunately when i tried putting it in the DSi SD Card Slot, it kept returning the message "The device inserted in the SD Card Slot can't be used". I have tried everything on my end, putting the lock position up and down, reformatting a bunch of times (currently on FAT32), and even putting scotch tape on the side of the SD card so it can fit better. What can i do to resolve this?

DSi version: 1.4.5
SD Card: SanDisk

cxclarke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
Maybe try blowing out the SD slot with canned air or such or taking it apart and cleaning it with IPA, it's probably either dirty or broken. If cleaning doesn't help probably need to replace it, the parts are usually around $10 USD on eBay or AliExpress I think.

iFixit has guides for DSi and DSi XL.

• Wow
Reactions: cxclarke

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Good Morning.😊

Some (newer ?) SanDisk (micro) SD Cards and/micro SD Adapters maybe not "Console" friendly....
I had New3DS,DSi and Wii "Experiences",so I do no longer use them for my Nintendo Devices (Transcend is a very reliable Brand for me).

Most of the Cases it is the Card itself,but also these "Adapters" can cause Issues.
Regular SD Cards are maybe more expensive,but also maybe more reliable for Consoles.
And by the Way - please check the Card/Adapter is not Write Protected (EDIT - Oh,I see you have already done this,sorry)..

Thank you.😉

cxclarke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
Here is my MicroSD Card and respective adapter, maybe it will help more.
1648117480349.png

Reactions: Alexander1970

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Thank you.:)
Here is my MicroSD Card and respective adapter, maybe it will help more.
View attachment 303106
Honestly,for me,SanDisk is a crap,shitty Product these Days (maybe has to do with that "fabless" Thing...).....

As you can see,there 3 different (also technically,the Connectors are different and in Product Date) Adapters:

P1020566.JPG

P1020570.JPG

Never,ever use it again after many Data Corruption Issues (includes Nintendo New3DS XL and DSi´s)....also the regular Cards are not really the "more reliable" Cards...maybe they were Fake Cards (all bought regular over Amazon) but honestly,I do not really care.....my 1stChoice is Transcend for Video Consoles.

This is the only Adapter I use and it is reliable since Years:

P1020567.JPG

Made in Tawain,by the Way.🤣

But...these are only my personal Experiences.😉

Last edited by Alexander1970,

cxclarke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
Can i do anything to the current SD card duo that i have right now? perhaps install a different firmware or homebrew?

manu_jedi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I know the error but i have no clue how to fix it on windows. On Linux create a new msdos/mbr partition table and create a partition with fat32 32kb cluster size. It should also work without the table but i would not recommend it.

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
I know the error but i have no clue how to fix it on windows. On Linux create a new msdos/mbr partition table and create a partition with fat32 32kb cluster size. It should also work without the table but i would not recommend it.
That would usually be "the SD card can't be read", not "the device inserted in the SD card slot can't be used", this error means it doesn't even think there's a real SD card. And they already formatted using SD Formatter it sounds like so there shouldn't be any formatting issues, SD Formatter is by far far the best tool for that.

manu_jedi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
That would usually be "the SD card can't be read", not "the device inserted in the SD card slot can't be used", this error means it doesn't even think there's a real SD card. And they already formatted using SD Formatter it sounds like so there shouldn't be any formatting issues, SD Formatter is by far far the best tool for that.
Hmm possible. But i really think i have seen exactly that message when the sd card is not correctly formatted (in the camera application).
Edit: yes i had the error recently and in my language it is "das objekt im sd card steckplatz kann nicht verwendet werden" which should translate to "the device..."

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
View attachment 303307

I had the error by coincidence today again. Reformatting and recreating the partition table solves the problem.
Ah, whoops I thought there was a different message 😅

Well SD Formatter is still the best formatter around so it should be good... To OP: If you want to try reformatting follow dsi.cfw.guide's instructions and that should get it right if it's not already.

CoolMe

That's the way she goes..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FWIW, micro sd cards should always be tested with h2testw, to ensure it's not faulty or fake. Then formatting with a software of your choice.
I would suggest for OP using/testing with a different micro sd card adapter, i see in the picture above the slider is down, which is the locked position, it should be up. Nevertheless, sometimes when the adapter is broken, it could behave as locked even when it's in the unlocked position, and that's i suggested to try to use a different one just to make sure..
As for the error message, if it persists even after doing the above, it could be something with the sd card reader then..

Angora23

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1