Hacking The Definitive vWii Hacking Guide!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't know if it works from SD, but be sure to not enable EmuNAND. MP1/2 can have issues with emuNAND enabled (to save on SD instead of NAND), and MP3 doesn't work with emuNAND (confirmed).

fatsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't know if it works from SD, but be sure to not enable EmuNAND. MP1/2 can have issues with emuNAND enabled (to save on SD instead of NAND), and MP3 doesn't work with emuNAND (confirmed).
Im sorry to lack the knowledge but (im familiar with emunand on 3ds and wiiu) what exactly is emunand on wii? And how do I not enable it?
All I did is install HBC on sd card, ioses required and put a wbfs in the same named folder on sd.
Im on sysnand Id assume?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
emulated NAND is a bad word that was used (I think used first by Waninkoko when he added that feature to cIOS?).
it's a way to redirect NAND access to SD or USB. similar to 3DS or WiiU, except that instead of using a full partition copy, it's based on file system.

you create a copy of the NAND's content (file and folder) on your external device (SD or USB), and the cIOS will redirect access to the files individually.

There are 2 main modes : cIOS or neek.
Neek mode reloads the FULL console into a redirected mode (the system menu, the settings, etc.), you can compare it to 3DS and wiiU as you see a full system's interface as if it was a real one.
cIOS mode doesn't reload the console, the cIOS is run from SysNAND and when the game request a file located on NAND the cIOS rewrite the path in real time. There's no reference to this mode in 3DS or wiiU.

The cIOS mode is very easy to use, it's a single option in the loader.
For example,
you want to save your savegame to SD instead of the console's internal memory, you go to USBLoaderGX>Settings>Loader settings>EmuNAND save : OFF / Partial / Full
partial mode is used to redirect savegame only (not the mii or the settings), you don't need to create a NAND dump, the savegame will be created.
full mode is used to redirect everything, but you need a full dump of your NAND first. this mode is useful if you play on multiple different consoles, you keep your mii, settings, wiimote sync, etc. on your SD card.

If you want to install 200 wiiware (yes, some users like to have many games installed at the same time), the wii doesn't have enough memory to store them all.
EmuNAND is useful here to install the Wiiware on the NAND copy.
You create a full dump of your NAND, and the loader will list games found on that copy. you can add/edit its content freely.

Reactions: fatsquirrel

fatsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
emulated NAND is a bad word that was used (I think used first by Waninkoko when he added that feature to cIOS?).
it's a way to redirect NAND access to SD or USB. similar to 3DS or WiiU, except that instead of using a full partition copy, it's based on file system.

you create a copy of the NAND's content (file and folder) on your external device (SD or USB), and the cIOS will redirect access to the files individually.

There are 2 main modes : cIOS or neek.
Neek mode reloads the FULL console into a redirected mode (the system menu, the settings, etc.), you can compare it to 3DS and wiiU as you see a full system's interface as if it was a real one.
cIOS mode doesn't reload the console, the cIOS is run from SysNAND and when the game request a file located on NAND the cIOS rewrite the path in real time. There's no reference to this mode in 3DS or wiiU.

The cIOS mode is very easy to use, it's a single option in the loader.
For example,
you want to save your savegame to SD instead of the console's internal memory, you go to USBLoaderGX>Settings>Loader settings>EmuNAND save : OFF / Partial / Full
partial mode is used to redirect savegame only (not the mii or the settings), you don't need to create a NAND dump, the savegame will be created.
full mode is used to redirect everything, but you need a full dump of your NAND first. this mode is useful if you play on multiple different consoles, you keep your mii, settings, wiimote sync, etc. on your SD card.

If you want to install 200 wiiware (yes, some users like to have many games installed at the same time), the wii doesn't have enough memory to store them all.
EmuNAND is useful here to install the Wiiware on the NAND copy.
You create a full dump of your NAND, and the loader will list games found on that copy. you can add/edit its content freely.
Oh dear I feel bad now because this reply had to take you a lot of time to make.
I'm very grateful for the extensive explanation though! I will try my luck with the previous version of d2x v10 and report success hopefully :)

Edit:Reporting back, great success!

Last edited by fatsquirrel,
Reactions: Cyan

duncanm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Many thanks for your advice.

Included my syscheck-hd.

But I've diagnosed the issue. USB memory stick works in the top back slot but not in the powered hub... Though nintendont is fine with the hub.

Very fiddly... With the hub it will see the drive if I set the loader ios to 58 but won't load games. Won't see the hub if loader and game are 250.

Without the hub it works fine with loader and game set to 250.

Guess I'll need a Y-cable, plugged into the top back for the vWii drive with the power coming from the hub. Then the hub can connect to the bottom back with the WiiU drive also connected to the hub.

yes, overwrite the IOS by running the installer again. you don't need to delete the old IOS first.

just install r52 instead of r53, and be sure to plug your USB to port0. (as only r53 support port1, but has few compatibility issues).
Also, note that some games just doesn't work on SD. (but should work on SD with USB adapter plugged into USB port 0)

I really REALLY hope you didn't REPLACE your IOS56-58
THAT'S NOT WHAT THE GUIDE IS TELLING YOU TO DO.

if you did that, you semi-bricked your vWii.

What the guide is telling you, is to "use the existing IOS 56-58" as base for the custom IOS. these base file are copied, patched and installed into slot 249-251.
as a result, you need to have :
IOS 56-58 official untouched
IOS 249-251 : copy of 56-58 patched

if you made a backup of your IOS before touching them, and you did a "proper" backup (no patch!), then you can restore them by using a Wad manager and re-install the backup wad.

But before doing anything to IOS below 200, you should give us a syscheck report. we will see if they really are messed up or not.
Do NOT touch slot below 200 if not necessary.
I used Yet another Blue Dumper after doing the NAND backup before installing cios.

I
yes, overwrite the IOS by running the installer again. you don't need to delete the old IOS first.

just install r52 instead of r53, and be sure to plug your USB to port0. (as only r53 support port1, but has few compatibility issues).
Also, note that some games just doesn't work on SD. (but should work on SD with USB adapter plugged into USB port 0)

I really REALLY hope you didn't REPLACE your IOS56-58
THAT'S NOT WHAT THE GUIDE IS TELLING YOU TO DO.

if you did that, you semi-bricked your vWii.

What the guide is telling you, is to "use the existing IOS 56-58" as base for the custom IOS. these base file are copied, patched and installed into slot 249-251.
as a result, you need to have :
IOS 56-58 official untouched
IOS 249-251 : copy of 56-58 patched

if you made a backup of your IOS before touching them, and you did a "proper" backup (no patch!), then you can restore them by using a Wad manager and re-install the backup wad.

But before doing anything to IOS below 200, you should give us a syscheck report. we will see if they really are messed up or not.
Do NOT touch slot below 200 if not necessary.

Attachments

• syscheck.txt
    1.6 KB · Views: 165
Last edited by duncanm,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
d2x cIOS is not compatible with HUB.
official IOS58 from nintendo is compatible with HUB.

As nintendont use IOS58, it works, but it's not nintendont itself which is compatible and the loaders which aren't, it's an IOS issue.

that guide doesn't have any HUB info ? we might add it if it's not telling users that cIOS are not compatible.

@duncanm : Your syscheck is good :)
you don't have any IOS issues.
I guess it was just a wrong word or you thought you actually did something to 56-58, but you correctly installed the cIOS and didn't replace the slot56-58

duncanm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
d2x cIOS is not compatible with HUB.
official IOS58 from nintendo is compatible with HUB.

As nintendont use IOS58, it works, but it's not nintendont itself which is compatible and the loaders which aren't, it's an IOS issue.

that guide doesn't have any HUB info ? we might add it if it's not telling users that cIOS are not compatible.

@duncanm : Your syscheck is good :)
you don't have any IOS issues.
I guess it was just a wrong word or you thought you actually did something to 56-58, but you correctly installed the cIOS and didn't replace the slot56-58
Would probably be a good idea to add it. I couldn't find anything with extensive googling that hubs would be a problem.

At least I know that once I've got a Y-cable it'll be sorted.

Plus now I've hacked vWii I can think about redNAND.

Last edited by duncanm,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
you can plug the additional power cable side of your y-cable inside the HUB if it provides power, that way you will have one free USB on the back for WiiU HDD if you want.

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
to split a 4gb game e.g Zelda Skyward Sword , is there no other way as in to use it as wbfs format ?

i wanted to put the game on my SD card to play it, as my HDD i currently use with my Wii U is for the Wii U backups (USB method of WiiU backup loading).

so is there no other way to split the over 4gig iso file ? would split4g work ?

transferred it as ciso to SD card , i guess this will work?

Last edited by leonmagnus99,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Why do you want to split it manually? You can't use a manager?
You already have the game in "wbfs" format, or still in ISO format?

because ALL .iso will be bigger than 4GB, and will have to be converted.
if you already have a wbfs file format bigger than 4GB, then you can cut it manually but it needs to be at a specific position (at the end of a Wii cluster size). split4g will not work. You can use Wit instead if you don't want or can't use a windows tool.

You downloaded the game already in single 4GB+ wbfs format?
You said you transferred it as ciso .. so you have a converter? which program did you use to convert to ciso ? can't you use the same program to convert to wbfs?
ciso only work with Hermes cIOS (old !) and will not work with wiimote+ games without using "alt dol" method.

but, if a single "ciso" file fit on your FAT32 SD card, it means the game is less than 4GB, so your wbfs should also be less than 4GB. what is the problem of using wbfs ?
Also, the WBFS file format has been created SPECIFICALLY for games bigger than 4GB, the wbfs is split automatically by the manager.

and for your first question, only wbfs can be split. you can't split another format (iso or ciso).
But you can play the game with the full ISO format on NTFS. no need to split it, but you'll waste lot of space on your drive as lot of games only use a small part of the ISO and can be compressed into wbfs format.

Reactions: leonmagnus99

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
Why do you want to split it manually? You can't use a manager?
You already have the game in "wbfs" format, or still in ISO format?

because ALL .iso will be bigger than 4GB, and will have to be converted.
if you already have a wbfs file format bigger than 4GB, then you can cut it manually but it needs to be at a specific position (at the end of a Wii cluster size). split4g will not work. You can use Wit instead if you don't want or can't use a windows tool.

You downloaded the game already in single 4GB+ wbfs format?
You said you transferred it as ciso .. so you have a converter? which program did you use to convert to ciso ? can't you use the same program to convert to wbfs?
ciso only work with Hermes cIOS (old !) and will not work with wiimote+ games without using "alt dol" method.

but, if a single "ciso" file fit on your FAT32 SD card, it means the game is less than 4GB, so your wbfs should also be less than 4GB. what is the problem of using wbfs ?
Also, the WBFS file format has been created SPECIFICALLY for games bigger than 4GB, the wbfs is split automatically by the manager.

and for your first question, only wbfs can be split. you can't split another format (iso or ciso).
But you can play the game with the full ISO format on NTFS. no need to split it, but you'll waste lot of space on your drive as lot of games only use a small part of the ISO and can be compressed into wbfs format.

the game is in .iso format, and well i said i only use 1 hdd for the wii u (usb backup games) and SD for other stuff, and even if i could format the SD to WBFS it would make loading other hax impossible for me.

i know that ntfs will work for 4gb files ! but now i am stuck, how will i make it load then (considering the game is Skyward Sword needs wii mote and you said it wouldnt work as ciso?).

what would you suggest i do then ?

i converted to ciso with wii backup manager.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
use Wii backup Manager, and convert the ISO to wbfs on a FAT32 SD card.

do not convert or format your SD card, it must be FAT32.
just put the split wbfs files on
SD:/wbfs/Zelda skywardsword [zelda ID6]/ZeldaID6.wbfs
SD:/wbfs/Zelda skywardsword [zelda ID6]/ZeldaID6.wbf1

In WiiBackupManager, in "drive1" tab, select your SD card.
In "file tab" select your ISO
then select zelda (check box in front of your game name) and choose : transfer to > drive1.

then use Wiiflow or CFGLoader to play the game (USBLoaderGX is not compatible with Wii games on SD).

Reactions: leonmagnus99

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
use Wii backup Manager, and convert the ISO to wbfs on a FAT32 SD card.

do not convert or format your SD card, it must be FAT32.
just put the split wbfs files on
SD:/wbfs/Zelda skywardsword [zelda ID6]/ZeldaID6.wbfs
SD:/wbfs/Zelda skywardsword [zelda ID6]/ZeldaID6.wbf1

In WiiBackupManager, in "drive1" tab, select your SD card.
In "file tab" select your ISO
then select zelda (check box in front of your game name) and choose : transfer to > drive1.

then use Wiiflow or CFGLoader to play the game (USBLoaderGX is not compatible with Wii games on SD).

i will do this, thanks !!

Edit: all works now, thank you lots !!
i just used Wiiflow for Wii Game and it works now.

edit 2 : imma leave this here just in case (its from another thread from cyan suggestion) , thanks cyan you rock !

if you want to play from SD, choose "d2x v10 beta52 for vWii" (not the one suggested by the tutorial, beta53 does not work with SD)
if you already have beta53 installed, just re-install beta52, it will overwrite it.

i had 53 installed and just did the above ^ and all is good now.

Last edited by leonmagnus99,

Tayta

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having problems getting the USB loader to work on my vWii. The 2.5 HDD is on a Y cable, it is on the top USB socket for the data and the power only usb feed is on the lower.
I've tried flashing both the beta 52 and beta 53 of d2x, and i've tried setting the differeing cIOS slots within USB launcher to no avail. Most of the time the HDD is detected but I see no games, occasionally (on 251) I see no HDD at all.

I've tried two HDD's, both work with the orignal Wii softmod.

Any ideas what I can try now? I'm trying to do away with the old Wii in the room and having this run the Wii titles would be the preferred approach.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
you are using USBLoaderGX, right?
when the HDD works, and you see no game, do you have "wii games" selected in the 4th icon of the top menu ?
if you don't choose to see wii games, or gamecube games, or anything else, you will not see any games.

I'll force wii games to always be selected in a future version of the loader, that way users don't have to worry why they don't see games.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@imm0rtalz16_2006 post here so we don't clog up that other thread.

The wii usb loaders work fine on vwii. Only annoying thing is that you get a nag to format your usb drive on the wiiu.

I find it easier to use wiiflow on the vwii and just load games off of an sd card.

TeconMoon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel like this is possibly a stupid question, but here it goes. I have most of my Wii games on an SD card on my Wii U which I run through CFG Mod v70r78, and all my games work fine except for Excite Truck.

I've read random stuff here and there about SD card loading trouble with Excite Truck, but only when people are trying to use an EmuNAND of some sort which I am not.

I have d2x-v10-beta52-vWii installed on my vWii, I've tried cIOS base 56, 57 and 58 with no luck. Right now I've been testing this in slot 248. d2x-v10-beta53-alt-vWii just breaks SD loading across the board. Is there some magic configuration I need to use with Excite Truck?

I've tried re-dumping my disk already and using different SD cards also.

Games I have working with d2x-v10-beta52-vWii, cIOS base 56, slot 248:
  • Mario Party 8
  • Mario Party 9
  • Project M ISO Version
  • Super Mario Galaxy
  • Super Paper Mario
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl
  • WarioWare: Smooth Moves
  • Wii Sports
  • Wii Sports Resort
I haven't tried a different USB Loader yet, I would like to stick with CFG Mod if possible since I already have forwarder channels setup for all my games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/rMHTo4sAYKA?si=UTMogWR09JOPIPF_