Homebrew The current situation with my NAND decoding project

KingOfHell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For all of you, the hardware mod I am talking about for putting backups on a system is this: http://gbatemp.net/threads/n3ds-nand-backup-possible-i-hope.381506/
A NAND is unique to a system, as that system only has the key with the xorpads. My goal is make a custom NAND that does not require a key so everyone may use gateway and ninjhax on it.

Hope you have a bootrom exploit to allow loading of said nand image, otherwise this project will be almost entirely useless. If it was as easy as creating a new nand-image, someone would have done it already(and at least bragged, but probably not released)

from what I remember reading(probably on 3dbrew)
The bootrom isn't stored on the nand(of course not, the nand is encrypted) and is what sets up the crypto hardware with the correct keys to encrypt/decrypt the nand.
Unless you can get the bootrom to disable the encryption entirely, you're going to have to have the new nand image encrypted by the target console, which is going to require some exploits which would again make the whole project useless.

Retr0Capez

Gone and forgotten
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hope you have a bootrom exploit to allow loading of said nand image, otherwise this project will be almost entirely useless. If it was as easy as creating a new nand-image, someone would have done it already(and at least bragged, but probably not released)

from what I remember reading(probably on 3dbrew)
The bootrom isn't stored on the nand(of course not, the nand is encrypted) and is what sets up the crypto hardware with the correct keys to encrypt/decrypt the nand.
Unless you can get the bootrom to disable the encryption entirely, you're going to have to have the new nand image encrypted by the target console, which is going to require some exploits which would again make the whole project useless.
already have.
I love how someone who proposes to break the 3ds's firmware security wide open has to ask how to compile a single loose C file.
Unreal.

#shitgbatempsays
Oh, just was to lazy to read the file, just copied it. :P

dela

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Assuming I have two 3ds one with fw 9.6 and 9.2 with fw; Having hardmod on 3ds with 9.6, I could make the backup copy of the nand 9.6; got the back of the nand you could decrypt it using xorpad or some other tool, change the titles to get the downgrade encrypt it and rerun the flash it on the console 9.6.
This should theoretically be possible or am I dreaming?

Hashtastrophe

Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A rather impossible option..
Unicorns that can drive stick are more likely than this person getting bootrom hax or all of the encryption keys from Ninty. Not saying it can't be done, just really not a realistic goal, especially for the average person.

But if you had either of those you would already "own" the system and a universal NAND image would be fairly useless. You could just down/upgrade as you please, or better yet stay on current firmwares and never worry about losing access to the exploits or eshop. Until Nintendo released a newer model with a revised bootrom and then you could just not buy it and carry on as usual.

Arkansaw

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
it's hard to predict the future..perhaps with another leak of devtools more things can be possible. I don't believe nintendo is that crazy with security even for development

you don't need the keys if the encryption can be bypassed, which is already possible to some extent

Ronhero

Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
I could be wrong but didn't the KARL team boast about full decryption of the nand? If thats the case when they release it let me know, I have a hard modded 3ds and a hard modded n3ds as well as a n3ds backup from a bricked console that I can throw into the community nand bin.

KingOfHell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's hard to predict the future..perhaps with another leak of devtools more things can be possible. I don't believe nintendo is that crazy with security even for development
Nintendo would be stupid NOT to be that crazy with security, especially with development given there's been what, 1 or 2 sdk leaks so far.

you don't need the keys if the encryption can be bypassed, which is already possible to some extent
If you can bypass the encryption at all you probably don't need any of this because you more than likely have enough hax to do what you want.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    the internet
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Time to just download more ram
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah search Google
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me when I stick a flash drive into it.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wish we could have 1Gbps external storage by now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like for micro
  • Veho @ Veho:
    New Myoo.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Yooo noice
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Looks like a Famicom handheld
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah, they were going for that.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not very good though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm watching the review, the emulators it uses suck bawls.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Software update might improve it.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Or maybe someone will make like Emulation Station for it or something?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That counts as a software update :tpi:
    +1
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Ello
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can think of the design teams process another joystick and no audio or a joystick and mono audio
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "You think we can just put the speakers at the top
    ?" "NO!"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pft stereo speakers you're fired
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pft stereo speakers you're fired +1