Misc Potentially Bricked N3DS

kill_me_slowly_please

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Apologies if I have broken any rules with this thread. Let me know and I'll amend

I have acquired a New 3ds that is potentially bricked or has some hardware damage. So I've tried a few things to get it to work but no luck so far.
And since this isn't my own I don't have any NAND backups

A rundown:
The N3DS turns on and the blue light stays on until I either turn it off or (presumably) the battery dies. However there is nothing on the screens at all, from what I can see they don't turn on.
Also there is no sound.

I originally thought it was a cfw issue with it not having a micro sd card. So I went and got one and tried installing some files to see if it will boot. No luck there.
I tried safe mode. No go.

I have tried taking the battery out and reseating it. No luck there either

And I just now tried NTRboot but that doesn't seem to work either.

What else is there left to try? Anyone encountered this before? Any help is much appreciated!

Last edited by kill_me_slowly_please,

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Please try booting safe mode.

In case that fails try ntrboot into GodMode9 for further troubleshooting -- assuming no hardware damage.

Reactions: E1ite007

kill_me_slowly_please

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand

In case that fails try ntrboot into GodMode9 for further troubleshooting -- assuming no hardware damage.
I have tried safe mode, which does not work.

I have not tried GodMode9 but I have tried boot9strap which didn't work. Will try GM9 now.

I haven't ruled hardware damage out yet so it is still a possibility

E1ite007

wierd avatar guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Did you used your console recently? If you did, what was the last thing you were doing before this happened?

Not that you did something, but if you noticed your console freezing or something, it may mean for this issue.

kill_me_slowly_please

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Did you used your console recently? If you did, what was the last thing you were doing before this happened?

Not that you did something, but if you noticed your console freezing or something, it may mean for this issue.
Nah this console was received in this state. So just trying to figure it out lol
Post automatically merged:

Sorry for the double reply to this one, but is setting up GM9 ntrboot the same as boot9strap ntr boot? Just use a GM9 .firm? and rename to boot.firm?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Reactions: E1ite007

kill_me_slowly_please

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
How is that possible? Since:

Consoles from the "New" series don't have removable WiFi chips. For old type consoles it would be worth a try using a different WiFi board.

Ntrboot won't work when WiFi is not present or defective.

Sorry I probably Misunderstood/misread, It was just some ribbon cable (i think) located above the gamecard slot.

I can not confirm whether wifi is present or not as the system does not boot
Post automatically merged:

Sorry I probably Misunderstood/misread, It was just some ribbon cable (i think) located above the gamecard slot.

I can not confirm whether wifi is present or not as the system does not boot
LOL Yes I definitely misread something somewhere. That looks to be just the game card slot ribbon cable.

Sorry not super familiar with these systems yet, still learning. Disregard that part

Mudb0y

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hah

And I do not hear anything
I'm not sure how the pop would help, but if you still want to test it it's best to do it with headphones, it's quite loud if you do it that way. From a completely powered off state, plug in your headphones then press the power button, and you should hear a pop.
As I said though I'm not sure how that'd even help, since we already know the system does at least something by the LED turning on.
Perhaps it's liquid damaged?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
off state, plug in your headphones then press the power button, and you should hear a pop.
The problem with the popping sounds occurs on abrupt shutoff due to missing of malfunctioning hardware (display backlight, speaker cable).

In such a case we don't see any solid blue LED until manually turned off.

Problem is that ntrboot not working can have many reasons -- all with the same result. A few can be ruled out:
Test ntrboot on a working unit of the same type. That rules out:
  • Bad SD, bad file system, missing files, wrong file names
  • bad ntrboot cart
  • weak magnet
  • "Doing it wrong"
    • magnet placement
    • duration of button holding
Things we can't test on a not working device:
  • SD reader working?
  • Gamecart reader working?
  • Defective WiFi chip?
  • Buttons working?