TemTem preview: The Pokémon MMO we've been waiting for?

first_impressions_banner_temtem.jpg

I've been playing Pokémon for over half of my life, and over the years, I've seen countless fans clamour for a MMO Pokémon game. So, when TemTem, an MMO inspired by Pokémon is scheduled to release on January 21, you would expect some hype around it. Despite this, I hadn't really heard of it until recently.

TemTem is one of those rare Kickstarter projects that actually seems to have pulled through. First launched in May 2018, the project managed to reach its goal in under a week—perhaps a testament to how popular the idea is. In fact, the project eventually reached almost $600,000, over 7 times the initial goal. This ensured a release not only on PC, but also on the PS4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch.

That's enough of TemTem's history, though. We've kindly been given access to the alpha, and I'm happy to share my feelings on this 'unique' title. This is not the final version, but given that the game is scheduled to release in a few weeks time, it should be a pretty good representation of the final

TemTem's Gameplay

I'd describe TemTem as 'Pokémon, but not'. That should be enough to give you the gist of the game. Where TemTem distinguishes itself is in the online functionality, improved interaction with NPCs, and slightly tougher battles.

Character.jpg

The first and most important part of a video game, of course, is designing your character. TemTem's simple character creator nails it for me, with a simple but effective interface. It's admittedly limited, but that makes it much less intimidating. There are also clothes shops in the game, something that excites me more than it should. Oddly enough, though, I didn't notice any options for height or weight, which seems to be a small oversight, given it's a fairly common feature of character creators.

You pick a starter TemTem at the Professor's lab early in the game. This is where the more obvious differences start to become apparent, with the starters being 'Crystal', 'Melee', or 'Mental' type. Afterwards, you are sent free into the world of TemTem, to capture wild creatures, battle tamers, and defeat Dojos across the land. Stop me if I'm going too fast for you.

Battling works similarly to the traditional Pokémon style, with a few key differences. Firstly, instead of having PP for each move, your TemTem have stamina bars. Different moves use up different amounts of stamina, which is slightly restored between turns, or by letting them rest. If you don't have enough stamina for an attack, your TemTem will overexert itself and take damage. Status effects also work differently, with poison wearing off, for example. The most interesting change is probably that most battles are fought 2v2, with both you and your opponent sending out 2 creatures each. This also applies to wild battles, where many encounters result in a 2v2 situation. Even if you only have 1 enemy TemTem, you will still send out two.

A neat mechanic is the ability for TemTem to complement each other in battle. Certain moves can do additional damage or apply certain effects if you use the right two creatures. For example, my 'Crystle' TemTem knows a move called 'Crystal Dust', which does additional damage if the TemTem besides her is Crystal type.

Battle.jpg

20200106171938_1.jpg20200109002539_1.jpg 20200109002305_1.jpg

Unfortunately, the type match-ups don't seem intuitive. There's the traditional Fire, Water, and 'Nature' types, which makes sense, but other types are more confusing. Maybe with more play you could get used to it, but it's definitely a barrier when you're starting out. The biggest issue I've found is working out what type my enemy TemTem are.

This leads into the designs for the creatures, which I'm not really enthralled by. They're not bad, but for the most part, they seem generic and uninspired. There are a few that I like, but even they don't resonate with me all that much. The designs aren't so similar to Pokémon, which makes the game stand on its own, but there's not really any charm to them.

Whilst playing TemTem, I kept forgetting that it's an MMO. If it was a single-player game, I don't think you'd be missing out on much. I haven't interacted with any other players, and whilst it is nice to be able to see them, it feels like a single-player game with multiplayer tacked on. Keep in mind, though, that this was my experience during the alpha, and not many players are around to interact with just yet.

Story

20200106171114_1.jpg

20200106170532_1.jpg 20200109000355_1.jpg
I think one of the weaker aspects of Pokémon is the repetitive and sub-par plots. TemTem seems to be following this general formula, but does a few things that make it a bit more interesting. When talking to characters, there are usually dialogue options, and a lot of NPCs have quests you can carry out. I didn't get too far into the story, but the TemTem also seems to have a group of bad guys similar to Team Rocket. Overall, the story doesn't seem particularly interesting, but the optional quests and dialogue options make more involved than Pokémon, at least.

How about the graphics?

20200109001216_1.jpg

Y'know, there's something to be said about simple, cell-shaded graphics. I can only assume that this art-style is much easier to put together than something more realistic, and yet it still looks fantastic. As a game that is heavily inspired by a Nintendo franchise, I'm sure this works in its favour, especially since it is also releasing on the Switch.

On PC, it doesn't run so well. On a PC that is above the games 'recommended requirements' for 1080p/60fps, it's extremely disappointing. It runs at a solid 120fps during battles, but in the overworld, the framerate fluctuates wildly between 120fps and 45fps. The graphics menu also seems bugged, with only 'Ultra' settings available for the textures. I'm sure this will be fixed by release, since it's a pretty obvious mistake.

This is one of the few games where I think I'd take the Switch port over the PC version. I'd take a wild guess and say it will run at 30fps, but the portability is a huge bonus. Its saving grace here is the simple graphics, which are sure to scale down well, even at lower resolutions. We will, of course, have to see how the console ports turn out.

Final Thoughts

Overall, TemTem does its best to differentiate itself from Pokémon, succeeding in some areas, and failing in others. It's shaping up to be a fun game, which I may pick up myself in the future. It's almost like Pokémon from an alternate universe. That said, there are some issues with performance, and I dearly hope the online functionality is more exciting when there's more players around.

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Heard about this like last year by my friend telling me about it, seems to show a lot of promise, just hope it doesn't get filled with all sort of annoying microtransaction that are everywhere now.
Also, I'd say anything would be better than the disaster that was SnS ;p

Reactions: AkiraKurusu

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
The idea of a Pokemon MMO just makes me remember Pokemon Crater. I remember playing it, must have been like 2003 or so. Ahh, memories. I miss it.

TemTem seems cute, and I like that someone is trying to capitalize on Pokemon's strengths...but the character designs are the most important part, for me, and some of these TemTem...don't look so cool/cute as I'd hope. I am interested in seeing the game's full release, even so.

Daisy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The idea of a Pokemon MMO just makes me remember Pokemon Crater. I remember playing it, must have been like 2003 or so. Ahh, memories. I miss it.

TemTem seems cute, and I like that someone is trying to capitalize on Pokemon's strengths...but the character designs are the most important part, for me, and some of these TemTem...don't look so cool/cute as I'd hope. I am interested in seeing the game's full release, even so.
Oh God, why did you have to remind me of Pokémon Crater? ;_;

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
This is not the final version, but given that the game is scheduled to release in a few weeks time, it should be a pretty good representation of the final
Correction: it's releasing into early access on the 21st of this month IIRC. The release of 1.0 I don't think is coming until fall of this year at the earliest.

Good write-up otherwise, I backed the game on Kickstarter so I've been playing the alpha too. Some creature designs definitely hit home more than others, but I feel that's always been the case for Pokemon as well.

This seems extremely likely to be taken down by copyright strike sooner or later, whereas there's no chance of that happening with TemTem.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: IncredulousP

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
doesn't seem to be the coolest name in the world like pokemon which of course means pocket monsters for those tht didn't kno :lol: a game can easily fail due to not being a catchy name - so what does temtem mean?

NitroTears

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Yeah I've had my eye on this for awhile and I've been on the fence about whether to invest in this or not. Because it does look good I just hope it can stand up when its actually released.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This ensured a release not only on PC, but also on the PS4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch.
I really wonder whether Nintendo even agrees to a release on the Switch.
They already agreed to a few games that are similar to their franchises (Fast RMX (F-Zero), Brawlout (Smash Bros.) and so on) but this is a pretty obvious one.

Having that said I'm as hyped as I'm sceptical (as odd as that sounds). I'd give it a go when it really comes to the Switch.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
They already agreed to a few games that are similar to their franchises (Fast RMX (F-Zero), Brawlout (Smash Bros.) and so on) but this is a pretty obvious one.

Having that said I'm as hyped as I'm sceptical (as odd as that sounds). I'd give it a go when it really comes to the Switch.
I don't see why they'd object. TemTem is to Pokemon what A Hat in Time is to Mario Odyssey. More than enough room in the world for both to exist, and while it might attract a similar audience, it's not going to take away any brand awareness or loyalty from Pokemon. Plus Nintendo gets a cut from the eShop for every sale anyway.

Another Pokemon-like game is probably going to be released on Switch this year too, Monster Crown.

Reactions: lordelan

anhminh

Pirate since 2010
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam

Nintendo never give a shit about competition because they know they win by default. If Yokai Watch doesn't stop them then nothing will.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Tell that to the Wii U... And the Gamecube... And the N64...
To be fair, he was referring to competition on the games side of things, not hardware. And he's mostly correct, it's not like Okami killed the Zelda series, despite it (IMO) being better than most Zelda games individually. In fact Okami ended up being sold on Nintendo consoles dating all the way back to Wii. Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale hardly killed off Smash Bros, Sonic Racing hardly killed off Mario Kart (and is available on Nintendo consoles), etc and so forth.

Basically, nobody makes Nintendo games as well as Nintendo, and while I have no doubt TemTem and Monster Crown will have certain qualities which surpass Pokemon by modern standards, they don't pose any actual threat to the world's highest-grossing franchise. They'll always be in its shadow.

Pipistrele

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Kinda mixed on it. On one side, with consistent support and working crossplay, this one may be a pretty solid and successful title. On the other, visual presentation feels bland and without much of its own identity - like developers were too inspired by Pokemon. In any case, I don't feel like it's going to replace my current mon games of choice (Pokemon and SMT), but it will make for a nice side title to sink my time into every now and then, assuming the game ends up being good.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Seems pretty interesting. I had not heard about it before.

Sadly the release for consoles seems to be schedule for 2021, apparently the game is still well in development.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
seems as though this might get as popular as an mmo alternitive to pokemon if they play their cards right it's sort of what pokefans were craving but gamefreak refuses to do,also did they post minimum specs yet had to get a weaker computer since my old one bit the dust

Last edited by chrisrlink,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: yeah, i'm Anyone, that's just not my alias here